E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > H&R Sport Vs H&R Sport for Xdrive

03-26-2018, 06:20 PM   #1
sbuchana12
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

H&R Sport Vs H&R Sport for Xdrive

I tried searching for this bit came up with nothing. I know that people always used just the normal i springs from H&R but I can't find ANYTHING on people that have actually bought the specific Xdrive Springs. They are 2 different product numbers. I wonder if that is why people are complaining about the rear drop when using the i springs. Anybody use the actual springs designed for our cars?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 11:27 PM   #2
boosthead
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 328ix

I believe this user used the XI specific part number.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=583999
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 10:08 AM   #3
Supermoon
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi

Garage List
Dinan and H&R offer XI specific springs. Eibach also has one but they're only sold in Europe.
XI springs have higher spring rate because of the added weight at the front.
Don't use RWD front springs on your XI. They won't hold up very long.
Pure Stage 1 | DV+ & Inlet | Injen Intake | M3 Cowl | ETS 5" FMIC & CP | Aquamist HFS4 Direct Port | CSF Radiator | Wagner Catted DP | BMW PE | Apex FL-5 | Michelin PS4S | 335is Engine mount | SDW Monoball thrust arms | UUC Swaybars & SS Brake lines | Bilstein B8 | Dinan Springs & Shock mounts | Whiteline RSFB | M3 Rear Control arms | Manzo Toe arms | Wavetrac LSD
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 10:28 AM   #4
boosthead
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 328ix

I just bought the Eibach springs for my XI sedan from Germany. During my research, I found that the i and xi front springs are the same but the rear springs are different. To your point, the xi rear springs are either longer or stiffer as the xi sedan uses the same rear springs as the i wagon.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 09:04 AM   #5
GearHead335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i xDrive LCI

I have h&r rave springs for an “i” rwd model on my 2009 335i xdrive and the fronts I believe are the same spring rates (which are way too high on h and r race).
You will achieve a lower ride height using the rwd model springs although as stated above, I wouldn’t recommend it either. The springs are not what wears out, it’s more EVERY other supporting component up front;

-Axles
-Sway bar endlinks
-Struts (even quality aftermarket, I have Dinan Koni yellow w/adjustable dampening and they helped going from blown oem but not for long)
Strut mounts

If you want a moderate drop with a cheaper price tag that doesn’t compromise your ride quality too much go with h and r sport or eibach pro kit or something similar with Koni yellow or bilstien b12 or something similar.

If you want adjustability, the ability to get lower than the setups stated above, comfort, and don’t mind $1000-$1500 price tag then go with st Coilovers or kw v1 (both have specific xi products.

I highly recommend the Coilover Route, I’ve been through the transition and if I could go back I would not have jumped the gun on a cheaper option just to get the car lower bc it would have been cheaper and more reliable in the long run to just buy a set of coils from the beginning.

Hope this helps!

Also in the pics is the car with the h and r race for rwd and Koni helllow for xi up front and a custom adjustable set up in the rear but you get the idea.
Attached Images

Last edited by GearHead335i; 05-15-2018 at 09:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 10:33 AM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbuchana12 View Post
I tried searching for this bit came up with nothing. I know that people always used just the normal i springs from H&R but I can't find ANYTHING on people that have actually bought the specific Xdrive Springs. They are 2 different product numbers. I wonder if that is why people are complaining about the rear drop when using the i springs. Anybody use the actual springs designed for our cars?

Cheers
Most people who purchase from us specifically choose the X Drive Springs. H&R doesn't specifically mention the physical differences.

It may be something I can ask in passing but at the end of they day we always recommend the X Drive springs for X Drive cars for this reason.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 08:36 AM   #7
GearHead335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i xDrive LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Most people who purchase from us specifically choose the X Drive Springs. H&R doesn't specifically mention the physical differences.

It may be something I can ask in passing but at the end of they day we always recommend the X Drive springs for X Drive cars for this reason.
Yeah I made a post in here strictly to let others know it will fit but as Jeff stated, go with what is specific for your vehicle and to be honest don’t go with race springs at all. Learn from my mistakes lol
Appreciate 0