E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Make 2009 325i sound more evil?

06-14-2018, 10:35 AM   #1
Thource
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2009 325i M Sport Highline

Make 2009 325i sound more evil?

Hi guys, I'm new here so, sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place.

I've been searching for how to improve the sound of my car but so far, I've not found many results.

Currently I've got a PowerFlow(?) exhaust that the previous owner fitted, and it doesn't sound bad at all, but my boss has a new 440i with performance exhaust and it sounds evil.

Anyone know how I can get a more evil sound to my 325i? (hopefully something like this)
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 11:56 AM   #2
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep
Drives: L.L.Bean Bootmobile

The best sounding exhaust is the BMW Performance exhaust. For the E90 (sedan body styles) the performance exhaust comes with 2 pieces. A muffler with exhaust tips and a set of mid pipes that deletes the resonators. Make sure to install both the muffler and mid pipes. Cost for BMW PE here in the USA is about $950 at BMW of Morristown in NJ. Retail price is about $1280 I believe.

The most popular aftermarket exhausts for our non-turbo E9X cars is probably the Active Autowerke Signature Gen 2, it's a muffler only. No mid pipes, but you can have a shop delete the resonator and weld in a y pipe to mimic the BMW PE set up. Another good one is the Rogue Ikon exhaust, it's not as loud or raspy as the AA exhaust. The Rogue Ikon has more of a deeper tone and rumble. Not too loud, and no droning. It's loud on cold starts but once it warms up it idles at nearly stock sound levels. It really makes noise when you push it past 3-4k RPM. My brother said it sounds like a boxer engine rumble.

The AA exhaust is $699 and Rogue Ikon is $550. I went with the Ikon and I am very happy with it. My favorite thing is that there is no drone. I am looking to delete my resonator soon.

If you're really on a tight budget, then grab a magnaflow muffler for $150 to $250. You can also combine it with a resonator delete if you want. I believe the most popular magnaflow mufflers for our cars is the 14815, 14816, 12148. Just search on youtube for these exhaust numbers.
Appreciate 4
      06-14-2018, 12:21 PM   #3
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Great info B Nugz

This is making me miss my 'old' 340 with MPPSK...
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 12:28 PM   #4
Thource
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2009 325i M Sport Highline

Thanks a lot for all the info BimmerNugget, I'll see if I can find a BMW Performance exhaust on the cheap.

Little bit worried about replacing the current exhaust because I'm not sure if it's a full system or not
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 03:11 PM   #5
Indyeah
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT SGM

Hit the classifieds on the forum. I got big discounts buying used from other members. As BimmerNuget said the BMW PE is the best sound. Its the one I have and my only complaint is that its actually a little too quiet for me. The trade off is that it doesn't drone like a bitch. The AA and Ikon will drone.

You said you like the sound of your boss's PE so that's probably what I would recommend you get since you seem to have a specific sound in mind. There are million videos of all these exhausts.
      06-14-2018, 04:50 PM   #6
techietaichi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Pre-LCI & 2010 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thource View Post
Hi guys, I'm new here so, sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place.

I've been searching for how to improve the sound of my car but so far, I've not found many results.

Currently I've got a PowerFlow(?) exhaust that the previous owner fitted, and it doesn't sound bad at all, but my boss has a new 440i with performance exhaust and it sounds evil.

Anyone know how I can get a more evil sound to my 325i? (hopefully something like this)
Read this thread as this is something that I've always been interested in myself, but it's not a priority right now. Was just on BMW PARTS WAREHOUSE and they've got the Performance Exhaust on sale right now for just over 8 bills. No idea what they'll try to ding you for regarding shipping, but might be worth a look man. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 05:46 PM   #7
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
An air intake can also liven up the sound a bit, and headers will definitely do wonders too

If you do headers, be sure to know your emission laws, as there are versions that are catless but others with high flow cats.
      06-14-2018, 06:18 PM   #8
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyeah View Post
The AA and Ikon will drone.
Why do you think the will the AA drone? Have you actually heard one?

I have catless headers, no secondary cats, and AA muffler. My exhaust is loud as F**k on WOT with zero drone. I have posted videos on here of the exhaust in the N/A section.

The AA has an anti drone resonance chamber that actually works.

Last edited by Biginboca; 06-14-2018 at 06:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
gT-BMW203.00
      06-14-2018, 07:15 PM   #9
Indyeah
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Why do you think the will the AA drone? Have you actually heard one?

I have catless headers, no secondary cats, and AA muffler. My exhaust is loud as F**k on WOT with zero drone. I have posted videos on here of the exhaust in the N/A section.

The AA has an anti drone resonance chamber that actually works.
Looks like my info is out of date. You must have AA gen 2. Didn't know they added that chamber. I'm used to the gen 1 which droned like a m*****f*****
      06-15-2018, 09:44 AM   #10
jcrisp415
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i E90 LCI N51 AlpWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thource View Post

There's also the Magnaflow 16537 which is a whole exhaust, at ~$700... it's in a few youtube vids. I have it, I like it... the volume is medium, maybe not loud enough for you. At low RPM, it's just like "something is modified"... then above 3000 it's a noticeable roar from a distance (the jay walkers' heads turn). On the highway there's moderate drone which might bug you at the higher speeds... not bad @ 70-75. Honestly it's never bothered me, I guess because it's just more fun to drive. Driving in tunnels I've realized, it is not super loud.

It doesn't gurgle like that video you linked. But it's a nice sound, mostly like hearing the engine itself firing rather than a drone or gurgle. There are similarities with the BMW PE although I haven't heard much crackles or pops yet and I've tried feathering etc. Sometimes it pops a little during downshifts. I should point out it's an automatic and also has the AA tune and BMC drop in filter. I couldn't say how those may change the sound, because it was all done at the same time.
Appreciate 0