E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > iTunes Library Question

06-21-2008, 02:46 AM   #1
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
iTunes Library Question

Does anyone know how to and/or if its possible to convert your iTunes library into MP3 files???

Ive tried burning my library as an MP3 cd but it keeps telling me that you cant convert files you have downloaded from iTunes store into MP3 files - is this correct??

I basically want to convert my whole library that ive downloaded legally etc from the iTunes store into my iTunes library into MP3 files so that i can burn a load of cds to play in the 335i (as i dont have a cd changer just single slot)

Any help would be much appreciated!!

ps; im not great with computers so please no techno-speak - really simpleton laymans terms that a gimp could comprehend please!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 03:42 AM   #2
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M Sport auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbailey View Post
Does anyone know how to and/or if its possible to convert your iTunes library into MP3 files???

Ive tried burning my library as an MP3 cd but it keeps telling me that you cant convert files you have downloaded from iTunes store into MP3 files - is this correct??

I basically want to convert my whole library that ive downloaded legally etc from the iTunes store into my iTunes library into MP3 files so that i can burn a load of cds to play in the 335i (as i dont have a cd changer just single slot)

ps; im not great with computers so please no techno-speak - really simpleton laymans terms that a gimp could comprehend please!!!!
Yeah, you should be able to just select some tracks, then right-click and choose 'Convert Selection to MP3'. Unless there is some stupid restriction on legally downloaded tracks? I don't knwo because i have never bought any music via iTunes. Try right-clicking on any track in your main 'Music' library and see if the option comes 'Convert Selection to MP3' up?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 07:11 AM   #3
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbailey View Post

I've gotten the same message. It's too bad because I don't have the iPod connection (6FL) and for me to use my iPod through the AUX jack requires me to turn the volume on the iPod up all the way.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269

Last edited by SoYank; 06-21-2008 at 07:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 07:32 AM   #4
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
I've gotten the same message. It's too bad because I don't have the iPod connection (6FL) and for me to use my iPod through the AUX jack requires me to turn the volume on the iPod up all the way.
You will definitely get better quality audio from MP3's burned onto a CD. But why will it not let you convert? Of course, you can always download the same music illegally, in MP3 format, and not that I am recommending you do so, one could take the view that, since you have already paid for the music in one electronic format, you are entitled to listen to it in your car, even if that means getting it in another format, by whatever means necessary.

If iTunes is refusing to convert your legally purchased tracks, maybe another 3rd party conversion software package would onvert it for you? I used to use MusicMatch Jukebox, but not sure if that is available now. Or you might find a plug-in for itunes that'll convert them? If it really is a restriction imposed by Apple then I would stop buying stuff from itunes!

When you pay to download an album from iTunes, the quality is (last time I checked) actually less than CD quality, which - arguably - is worse than vinyl was but lets not get into that debate. You would expect at least CD quality, otherwise why not just buy the CDs from Amazon or wherever, then rip them?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 07:37 AM   #5
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Have a look here.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 08:28 AM   #6
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Is the only way to get music on and off an ipod to use itunes? Can they be used as portable hard disks?
      06-21-2008, 08:50 AM   #7
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stnewcar View Post
Is the only way to get music on and off an ipod to use itunes? Can they be used as portable hard disks?
Yes they can be used in 'Disk Mode'. Apple restrict the copying of music from an iPod, but software is available to do this. Depends if you use a PC or a Mac.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 09:01 AM   #8
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
I think the iPod can be set to be a external drive. Here's what I found in the online users manual:

Using iPod classic as an External Disk
You can use iPod classic as an external disk to store data files.
Note: To add music and other audio or video files to iPod classic, you must use iTunes.
For example, you won’t see songs you add using iTunes in the Mac Finder or in
Windows Explorer. Likewise, if you copy music files to iPod classic in the Mac Finder or
Windows Explorer, you won’t be able to play them on iPod classic.
To enable iPod classic as an external disk:
1 In iTunes, select iPod classic in the source list and click the Summary tab.
2 In the Options section, select “Enable disk use.”
3 Click Apply.
When you use iPod classic as an external disk, the iPod classic disk icon appears on the
desktop on Mac, or as the next available drive letter in Windows Explorer on a Windows
PC.
Note: Clicking Summary and selecting “Manually manage music and videos” in the
Options section also enables iPod classic to be used as an external disk. Drag files to
and from iPod classic to copy them.
If you use iPod classic primarily as a disk, you might want to keep iTunes from opening
automatically when you connect iPod classic to your computer.
Chapter 5 Extra Features and Accessories 47
To prevent iTunes from opening automatically when you connect iPod classic to
your computer:
1 In iTunes, select iPod classic in the source list and click the Summary tab.
2 In the Options section, deselect “Open iTunes when this iPod is connected.”
3 Click Apply.

The way I read this, though, is you won't be able to see your music files in the browser.

Also, when you enable disk use you'll be warned with a pop-up saying: Enabling the iPod for disk use requires manually ejecting the iPod before each disconnect, even when automatically syncing music.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0