E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Clutch judder 320d edition

06-30-2009, 06:00 AM   #89
swanseahammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 LCI 330e M Sport

Garage List
2008 320d SE  [0.00]
Mine's in for a service: when I booked it in i told them about my clutch judder problem being worse on cold starts. They told me to bring it in the day before the service so they could test it first thing in the morning. So I took it in yesterday on way home from work (they gave me a mini Cooper D as a loaner!) and phoned me earlier to say they found a problem with it. They also said normally clutch only covered under warranty for 12k miles / 24 months whichever is less. Mine's done 15k and is 18 months old but have said they'll do it on "goodwill".
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 01:34 PM   #90
PeteJ
Diesel Head
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Convertible E93

Did they say what was wrong?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 01:42 PM   #91
swanseahammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2008 320d SE  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJ View Post
Did they say what was wrong?
Not yet. Will post update tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 04:17 PM   #92
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

My clutch feel went completely insane the other day, After being in horrible traffic and alot of biting point action, I noticed the feel of the clutch completely changed, I had no feel at all for where the biting point was, and I stalled it 3 times trying to get home. Terrified and with this thread in mind, I was all ready to get it booked in for service when low and behold, the next morning it was back to normal.

Strange times. Should I be worried?
      07-01-2009, 03:49 AM   #93
swanseahammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2008 320d SE  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanseahammer View Post
Not yet. Will post update tomorrow.
Dealer just phoned me - broken flywheel. This has leaked oil over the clutch. Both will be replaced under warranty - will have car back on Friday
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 09:02 AM   #94
tomppa
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant397 View Post
It is possible to completely remove the CDV, but this will tighten the clutch line slightly.
What does this mean? Heavier clutch?
Shouldn't be, as the restriction is gone (??)

Last edited by tomppa; 07-02-2009 at 05:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #95
Wingtip
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320 d M Sport Touring

clutch judder on 3 series m sport diesel

Found a solution to a clutch judder that I've had on my car for ages. Despite frequent trips to bmw who couldn't agree on the problem, although they did reprogram the software (and my car hasn't got a cdv) I've now solved the problem of excessive clutch judder which shunted whenever I changed up or down, especially in 2nd and 3rd, but also in 1st and 4th. Got so frustrated that I held the car on the hand brake and slipped the clutch, really hard, Smelt a bit, but the gear change is now (almost) a delight. I can only guess that the clutch plate was not "true". I know it sounds bizarre but I'm really happy now. I used this forum to convince myself that I wasn't the only person with this problem, so, if you've tried all the other suggestions (changing the Clutch delay valve, reprogramming the software and fitting a clutch kit (had that done aswell)) try burning the clutch for 10 seconds and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 04:50 AM   #96
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
LOL - I think I remember doing something similar with my old E46 330cd. I basically lost my temper on one occasion and revved the car hard while burning the clutch in 1st. It did seem to be a bit better afterwards. I think it did come back though.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 05:41 AM   #97
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingtip View Post
Got so frustrated that I held the car on the hand brake and slipped the clutch, really hard, Smelt a bit, but the gear change is now (almost) a delight.
hmm, I recall touting this technique ages ago, but no one seemed to take it seriously

Modern asbestos-free clutch material (asbestos was good at its job, just not so good for our lungs) can end up leaving deposits on the pressure plate / flywheel when driven gently. These build up into tiny ridges / bumps and cause the judder on clutch engagement.

This seems worse on 4 cyl diesels as you naturally slip the clutch less and pull off at lower revs in a diesel, giving less natural 'cleaning' action, and a 4cyl having 33% less firing strokes per rmp than a 6cyl also amplifies any judder effects at low revs.

Maybe not on the handbrake, but a nice bit of welly, in say 3rd, and clutch slip for a few seconds will burn it off and restore you to a happy driver.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 06:50 AM   #98
Wingtip
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320 d M Sport Touring

good analysis doughboy, the drastic solution came to me after a particularly hard days driving made the gear change seem better. If you go easy on the clutch it probably makes the clutch action worse since it encourages the bumps and ridges to accumulate. Good excuse to dive the car hard, probably cant use it as an excuse for speeding though, shame!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 04:12 AM   #99
Jahman
Rep
Drives: F30 320d MSport

My car has had the annoying "clutch judder" from new. At first I thought it was me not being used to the new car but after 8k miles later it is still doing it.

I have found that the only way to get it moving up an incline is to over rev it and slip the clutch, otherwise the car judders ansd seem to bog down.

I have dropped the car at the dealers today and will let you know what they say.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 11:17 PM   #100
cp2708
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2002 325i, 2012 C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingtip View Post
Found a solution to a clutch judder that I've had on my car for ages. Despite frequent trips to bmw who couldn't agree on the problem, although they did reprogram the software (and my car hasn't got a cdv) I've now solved the problem of excessive clutch judder which shunted whenever I changed up or down, especially in 2nd and 3rd, but also in 1st and 4th. Got so frustrated that I held the car on the hand brake and slipped the clutch, really hard, Smelt a bit, but the gear change is now (almost) a delight. I can only guess that the clutch plate was not "true". I know it sounds bizarre but I'm really happy now. I used this forum to convince myself that I wasn't the only person with this problem, so, if you've tried all the other suggestions (changing the Clutch delay valve, reprogramming the software and fitting a clutch kit (had that done aswell)) try burning the clutch for 10 seconds and see what happens.
I did this, it went away for a bit but came back eventually, sold my own 318D to my Dad (which I found did the same thing) and he says he has no such problem leading me to believe it's the way i'm driving, My old 3.0i Z4 did it too but only when hot.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 09:46 AM   #101
vintagevrs
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 320d

Remap remove???

Hi all,

My car has the juddering issue and my local dealer have agreed to have a look. Problem is the ECU has been remapped. Should I have this put back to standard or will the guys at BM not even look at this. They mentioned that a mechanic will take it out for a test drive and determine one of two possibly repair routes. One sounds like the software update and the other is a new clutch/flywheel.

Its £40 to get the remap removed, what do you think?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 12:40 PM   #102
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagevrs View Post
Hi all,

My car has the juddering issue and my local dealer have agreed to have a look. Problem is the ECU has been remapped. Should I have this put back to standard or will the guys at BM not even look at this. They mentioned that a mechanic will take it out for a test drive and determine one of two possibly repair routes. One sounds like the software update and the other is a new clutch/flywheel.

Its £40 to get the remap removed, what do you think?

Thanks

Remove the map. BMW will be reprogramming the DDE/ECU so you don't want any potential conflicts.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2009, 04:36 AM   #103
kennedy_dub
Rep
Drives: E92 320d

I had mine in for the software update recently, works fine now I have to say. It takes a bit of getting used to with the way you get the car to rev up to 1200rpm but I don't mind as long as it works well!!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 04:59 PM   #104
SteveF1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport

Thumbs up

I bought a 320D M sport in August 2009 which already had 45,000 miles on the clock. I bought it from a BMW dealer and obviously got the 12 month used approved warranty but from the start I felt the clutch biting wasn't quite right and often got the juddery clutch mainly when cold. Over the recent wintry spell the problem was becomming even worse so I booked the car in for warranty work last week at Bowker BMW, Preston.

On booking the car in they fixed other items I had mentioned but after two days of having the car they rang me to ask for authority to dismantle the clutch. I immediately said yes, but the advisor told me that should they find out its wear and tear related I would be obliged to pay for 2 hours labour coming to £240. I immediately said no. It already had 45,000miles (now at 50,000) on when I bought it and the previous owner may have driven the clutch into the ground so I couldn't take the plunge. However, after a nights thinking I ranted at the service manager the morning after and told him about the mass of complaints from other owners re this problem. He eventually relented and said he wouldn't charge me for the labour regardless of the problem and should it be wear and tear he would ask the used sales department to fund the replacement clutch! Result I thought.

After two more days they got back to me and stated the clutch and flywheel had both been replaced under warranty as they found out that the dual mass flywheel had warped, leaked oil all over the clutch and contaminated it beyond repair. They also stated that they have revised the engine electronics so should not have a further problem in this area. I have to say the car feels completely different, no more notchy gearbox in first and second and smooth changes without judder. If the car has the revised revs I don't notice it, appears exactly the same.

Oh, and when they looked at the engine they found out that I had a failed glow plug in cylinder 2 and 3 and replaced those under warrantly, along with both boots struts and fixed a rattle in the metal trim in the dashboard!

Didn't cost me a penny and I got a brand new 3 series as a courtesy car for a week. Well impressed with Bowker Preston. A little reluctance at first but when pressed they couldn't do more.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 06:31 PM   #105
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
I have the software update and I get the 1200rpm thing - but almost randomly - and never when you start the car for the first time and move off!

Also, after a decent journey, I find it gets worse, not better.

Grrr.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 10:18 AM   #106
Russell
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d cabrio

Hi - just been researching this problem through Google search and came across this forum. I noticed the clutch judder phenomenon on my new 320d cabrio (new in Oct 2009) and wondered if it was me, but took it back to the dealer today having convinced myself that it wasn't. Took mechanic for a test drive and demonstrated the problem and asked if he had any ideas - he said there had been a few reported faults and it could be a software fault or even a Clutch problem. (Wish I had read up on this on the forum before I took it in). Anyway, got a call midday and dealer said they have updated software but want to keep it in and try it again in the morning which sounded very odd but I said OK. Will see how it is tomorrow and report back.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 01:24 PM   #107
SteveF1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport

While they have the car request that they physically inspect the clutch and dual mass flywheel as there is an inherent design fault in this area which manifests itself more on the 320D model in particular.

If they come back to you and threaten to charge you two hours labour if they do the inspection but find no fault or just find wear and tear use then threaten them nicely to speak with either the service manager or the dealership manager. Once you speak to either manager you should end up with them waivering any charge and if they do do an inspection they will almost certainly find the flywheel has warped and leaked oil all over the clutch and will therefore replace the lot under warranty.

Push em hard as they know this is a big problem, not just a 'few' instances as they like to make out.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 02:58 PM   #108
Baby Dave
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 320d m sport

Mine judders when setting off in first. If i rev the bollacks off it,like a Sunday driver,it dosen't. Doesn't do it in any other gear. Car has covered 30k Auc warranty runs out soon,should i get it in or just put up with it.Only bothers me when i read this post and realise somethink can be done about it.
      05-11-2010, 01:55 AM   #109
lillithxxx
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i

BMW 3 Series clutch judder - solution found?

Now just over 2 years old with 50k I've have clutch judder problems most of this car's life. After numerous complaints to BMW (one service person told me this forum was populated by competitor car manufacturers!) I have now managed to get someone to take me a little more seriously and they say they have a 'computer' fix that will make the engine idle faster although they don't guarantee it will work......hmmm Incidentally I think this has nothing to do with driving style - my previous Ford/Renaults/VW/Vauxhall have never had this problem - I know of one police force whose have a 5 series now starting to play up. My experience of BMW has been so poor - if this fix doesn't work I'm taking things up with my fleet supplier and asking them to remove BMW from the company list, service shocking!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 03:09 AM   #110
illingworth22
First Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillithxxx View Post
Now just over 2 years old with 50k I've have clutch judder problems most of this car's life. After numerous complaints to BMW (one service person told me this forum was populated by competitor car manufacturers!) I have now managed to get someone to take me a little more seriously and they say they have a 'computer' fix that will make the engine idle faster although they don't guarantee it will work......hmmm Incidentally I think this has nothing to do with driving style - my previous Ford/Renaults/VW/Vauxhall have never had this problem - I know of one police force whose have a 5 series now starting to play up. My experience of BMW has been so poor - if this fix doesn't work I'm taking things up with my fleet supplier and asking them to remove BMW from the company list, service shocking!
This seems to be a major problem with the car, I bough my 320 Coupe in the UK and shipped it to Ireland. It has had a new clutch and the new software and is still doing it, but not all the time. I also had an oil leak dut to the gearbox not being put back right! This was a real nightmare for two weeks as BMW Ireland was blaming BMW Uk for cracking the block and BMW UK saying it was not their fault.
The only way this problem will get resolved is by the power of Forums like this and Fleet buyers like your company and others!
Power to the Forums
Appreciate 0