E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Anyone ever had to walk away after the car was built?

02-14-2007, 06:26 PM   #1
mr3cho
Private
Rep
Drives: '98 Spyder

Question Anyone ever had to walk away after the car was built?

Has anyone ever put in an order, waited for the car to be built, then went in for the paperwork on the financing or lease but didn't like the terms and had to walk away? (sorry-for-the-run-on-sentence)

I have noticed that the order of events when ordering for ED and delivery seem to vary slightly. In my case, I have the car ordered (for ED) and almost finished with production but yet no written agreement on price. Lease/finance terms havent been discussed yet, which i think is normal until i think 2-4 weeks before pick up.

Anyone ever walk??

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/index_highend.html
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2007, 06:34 PM   #2
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

This i not the way to do business as a consumer. Once the car is built and ready for you, you are at the mercy of the dealership to settle on a price that is satisfactory to you. At the time I ordered my car, I knew exactly what the cost was. No surprises for me prior to delivery.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2007, 06:39 PM   #3
BlueLion
she likes the flavor......
United_States
Rep
Drives: A51-E92

Garage List
2022 X3MC  [0.00]
yeah i had to price down before the car went into production

E92 Montego Blue silfa718 ..::STETT CAI|ADVAN RS|WAGNER FMIC|MS DP|VANGUARD|PROCEDE|FORGE DV|BMS OCC|KWV2|MICHELIN PSS|OOS::..

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2007, 06:53 PM   #4
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Well, in my deal they won't appraise my trade until a month before I pick it up. So for me, yeah I could walk after it's built if they try to royally screw me on my trade.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2007, 06:55 PM   #5
wyrm11
///Man of Steel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by STE92VE View Post
This i not the way to do business as a consumer. Once the car is built and ready for you, you are at the mercy of the dealership to settle on a price that is satisfactory to you. At the time I ordered my car, I knew exactly what the cost was. No surprises for me prior to delivery.
I don't necessarily agree. I'm not sure why the dealer would order the car before agreeing on terms, but if you don't like the terms, then walk. You have no obligation to buy a car when you don't like the terms. Of course if you put down an non-refundable deposit, then you stand to lose that. But if you didn't, then do what's best for you. There's absolutely no reason to agree to terms you aren't comfortable with.

The comment about being at the "mercy of the dealership" is ridiculous. If anything, they're at YOUR mercy because they can either give you a good deal, or have to try and sell your specific car on the lot...which may or may not be easy based on the things you ordered for your car.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 09:37 AM   #6
Whispre
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Montego Blue 328xi

my deposit... I did not sign anything agreeing that the deposit was "non-refundable" so yeah I could walk, AND get my deposit back...

However... I'm paying cash... I know the price though paperwork is not done. If they try to screw me on my trade in then I will just keep the trade in and sell it myself for more.

If there was some truly huge problem I would walk away, however after a 2 month wait, its not likely.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 05:45 PM   #7
mr3cho
Private
Rep

yea its not the way to do business as a consumer as i stand to lose so much time. my deposit is refundable however. i did ask many times to have the price down, but they said its not how its done. ok fine. this is my first ED...so i'll go with that. i have no problems walking. my CA is great but i dont know how the finance manager is. im gathering up as much info as i can to get ready for battle soon.
going to lease...so need to learn everthing about .mf, residuals, fees, MSDs.

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2007, 10:53 AM   #8
bailey544
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi sport wagon

On my ED, I had to hope that the trade in $ would not hose me since the BMW was a done deal long before I could turn over the old car. No real way around that. Fortunately, the CA was motivated to have the whole deal end positively and he made sure the used car magr. did not take advantage of the situation and all worked out well.
      02-16-2007, 11:48 AM   #9
IrvRobinson
Banned
Rep
Drives: X3

The price should always be agreed upon before anything is signed.I have had orders cancel for ED after the car was built,it happens,we move on...If there is no pricing yet,we agree to a price over invoice or off of American MSRP
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2007, 03:59 PM   #10
DDTAN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i E90 ZSP

It seems to me that there is one thing missing here, that is essential in any transaction. That is "trust".
It's too bad that people enter into these transactions without it. Is it because they could not find a dealer that they could trust, or that they did not try. Believe it or not, there are those dealers that when they give their word, you can depend upon it. You may have to do a lot of work to find these guys, but it is possible.
Sure, it is important to nail down specific numbers as much as possible, but you sleep alot better when you can have the feeling that you are not going to be screwed because of a little technicality that you might have missed.

April 07 ED | E90 335i | AW | Beige Dakota | Poplar | Step | Paddles | ZSP | SFRS | CA
Redelivered 6/15/07
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2007, 05:47 PM   #11
mr3cho
Private
Rep

how can you fully trust a dealer if you have never done business with them before where they can earn your trust? its one thing to be perceived as trustworthy.
i sleep better when i have things in writing or no obligation.

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2007, 06:28 PM   #12
rexrider
Rep
Drives: E90

Here's what I did; since what I ordered is not priced yet (335 xi e90 May delivery). We agreed to $1,xxx above ED invoice. He will show me the invoice when he gets it. No adders - Out the Door Price. The car is ordered and I have a production #. I have not signed anything or put down any money.

I do trust that the CA will uphold his end - and I will uphold my end!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2007, 11:18 PM   #13
DDTAN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i E90 ZSP

There are a couple ways.
Easiest is by personal reference, if you know someone else has experience with a particular CA and recommends them as trustworthy.
The other way is by your own intuitive sense about a person. This comes more naturally for some than others. But I can tell if someone is being straight with me within the first few minutes of meeting them. What they say usually squares with what you know, and there are no surprises.
Of course, a combination is the best, where a dealer is recommended to you and, after you meet them, they strike you as honest.
But, like I said, I'm not saying trust, without something on paper, but get something written AND do it with the dealer you feel you can trust.

April 07 ED | E90 335i | AW | Beige Dakota | Poplar | Step | Paddles | ZSP | SFRS | CA
Redelivered 6/15/07
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2007, 05:01 AM   #14
mr3cho
Private
Rep

thats true and thats why i like this forum because you can learn from the experienced and sometimes get some good recos or at least stay away from the shady.
Im feeling good about my ish and if it turns out fair to say the least I will report on my experience and hopefully others can benefit.
you always need a good accountant, a good real estate agent, a good lawyer and I guess...a good CA !!

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2007, 05:46 AM   #15
adamr
Major
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 RS

Garage List
i walked away from a deal for a Z4M ... ordered the car to my spec and the dealer could not give me a good trade on the E92 325i that had under 300km on the clock. (but i did have the E93 ordered, so that might have also played to me not wanting the Z4M) ...

2007 Porsche 997 GT3 RS
|PCM with NAV and GSM|Roll Cage|PCCB|Xenons|Sports Chrono Plus|PASM|Leather Pack|Silver Seat-belts|
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2007, 08:24 PM   #16
mr3cho
Private
Rep

yep well it happened...they are playing with me and so i walked.

ok, let me preface this with , I DID ask for a price in writing , they wouldnt give it to me. my mistake, was not walking at that point. yes, i admit...my mistake.

At time of order...went something like this
me: "can i get ED invoice plus your profit? lets talk about that"
ca: "yeah, yeah, you can get that. dont worry"
me: "this price...<pointing to ed invoice> ...lets put it in writing"
ca: "dont worry!"

today,
me: " what are you talking about, thats like msrp! "
ca: " we cant even get invoice"
me: "this is for ed, sure you can."
me:"ed invoice and i'll give you $1000 over for profit..and pls lets work on that monthly"
ca:"fin. mgr wont do it"
...40 mins later ...more of the same...
me:" k, i'd like my deposit back, call me if you change your mind"

they also wanted close to $800/mo on a 36/15k lease incl 7 MSDs w/min drive-off

my ed invoice price was just south of $40k.

the fin. mgr and i will try to reconcile this wknd.

im trying to be fair with upto $1k dealer profit. but according to my calcs, .00205 mf, .6 residual, 8.25 tax($45/mo) , 36 mo, ~$40k cap... we should be at $560 w/tax and $3k drive-off. eh..not 8 bills!

...sorry for the cryptic post, buts its late and im having a bad day! (<-has more to do with a female friend than the car *sigh*...how insignificant material things seem when against matters of the heart) eh...what am i talking about, im too old for this.

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2007, 09:07 PM   #17
luckyu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i, 1998 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr3cho View Post
yep well it happened...they are playing with me and so i walked. [...]
Sigh. I'm sorry to hear it fell through.

A question occurs to me: does the dealer get an extra car now? They ordered an ED car, but now the customer's walked. Do they still receive the car?

If so, this is a good way for a dealer to skirt the allocation limits...

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2007, 10:17 PM   #18
jonerik26
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: black 335i e90 PRE-LCI

Garage List
2007 335i  [8.00]
1998 Acura Integra  [8.50]
2006 325i  [8.00]
i pick up a car who someone ordered and walked away from, thanks whoever
      03-04-2007, 02:25 AM   #19
mr3cho
Private
Rep

ok, we came to an agreement...(4 hr boxing match)

not the best deal. ~ i think i got hosed on the lease terms for sure.

$45595 US msrp
$39395 ED invoice
$40500 cap cost via ED (<-dealer profit in here)
$1850 cap cost redux <-
7 MSDs
$593/mo 36 months/15k

what do you guys think??? (yeah my .mf is prolly rediculous!)

mf'ers based the residual(.6) on the cap price!!! i called the fm on it and he said thats the way its done. i shoulda walked again! is there anything i can do about this now??? prolly not..papers signed.
...damn..all i gotta say is that if you're a n00b like me thinking you know what you need to know about leases...when you get in there you'll realize you dont know enuff. they originally offered $790/mo on 36/12k. thats when i walked the first time.
i had my laptop, wireless, xl loaded, leaseguide.com loaded, et al and still didn't get the exact deal i wanted. F* it!!!
hmmm...biz idea..."personal lease/fin agents"??? ...pay'em a flat fee, they know the in-n-outs of the biz and garuantee a certain amount-- bam!
....hm...nah...i just need to make more cheddar, so i wont wallow over this chump change..

...all-in-all i just cant reco a dealer that plays games from the start. play the game to probe for a sucker, but when you hit a dead end just go for the straight profit-there are some fair consumers out there...dont f* play games all day. ok, you guys got me a bit...but now i cant reco you...so maybe you lost outta some more business that i coulda sent your way.

anyways!!!....off to Munchen, DE!!!!

life is short! enjoy it!

Appreciate 0