E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > My COBB Access Port Review

02-28-2012, 03:08 AM   #67
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Updating AP Error

Hi chaps.

I ran into a problem yesterday while trying to update my AP to the lastest beta firmware, it froze on the 'updating' screen and wouldn't download the firmware, this meant that the AP was permanently stuck in 'updating' mode. I unticked the 'update beta firmware' box under the options menu and retried and this time it worked and unfroze the AP however, as we've all experienced, our ROMs weren't recognised under the lastest official release of firmware (1.6.5.0-3122) so we needed the beta update (1.6.5.0-3347), I am not sure if this 'older' version would be compatible with our cars. Anyway, this is how I overcame the issue for anyone else who might run into it.

- Click the 'Options' tab
- Untick the 'check for beta firmware' box under the 'updates' sub-menu
- Update the AccessPORT with the last (non-beta) version of firmware, this should install ok but is obviously not the latest version (beta) that you wanted.
- Eject your AccessPORT & unplug it if you want. Now close the AccessPORT Manager
- Re-open AccessPORT Manager
- Click the 'Options' tab
- Click the 'Advanced' button under the 'Updates' sub-menu
- Tick the "Check for beta AccessPORT Manager" box
- Click the 'Update AccessPORT Manager' button (this will download the latest version)
- Open the AccessPORT Manager once it has downloaded
- Tick the 'check for beta firmware' box under the 'updates' sub-menu
- Plug in your AccessPORT, once connected the AccessPORT Manager will alert you that a later versions (beta) is available to download, click 'yes' to download or 'no' to return to the manager. I chose 'no' because I wanted to make sure all the maps were backed up onto my PC first, I then downloaded the latest firmware.
- Click the 'Updates' tab
- Click the Update Firmware button

This should download the latest beta firmware to your AP with no problems, like it's supposed to. The problem appears to be that you need to run the latest beta version of the AP Manager to be able to download the latest beta firmware for your AP. All my maps were not lost but backing them up to your PC is a good idea just in case, especially for those of you with warranty wishing to return to stock but yur stock map SHOULD be stored deep down inside the AP for when you click the 'uninstall' option.

I am now on beta firmware 1.6.5.0-3523 but I have not yet uploaded this to the car, I think I will wait for the next official release by COBB.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 03:13 AM   #68
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Thanks for this post, that is very useful. I also ran into that problem a few days ago, but solved it differently (pressing F10 or F11 - I don't remember - when the software is in the updating loop and won't get out of it). I think the previous versions of the software had a problem with available memory on the Access Port, as in particular the stock ROM takes a lot of space.

IMO you should always save all your maps and your stock ROM to your computer, just in case there's a problem with the AP or in case you want to use an older map for some reason (if the new ones don't work so well).

BTW as long as no new maps are available, an update of the software is not absolutely necessary (although it can remove some bugs that were present previously).

Alpina_B3_Lux
      02-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #69
takumichinoku
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Anybody know of any Uk distributors for this? After reading I think I seriously want!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #70
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by takumichinoku View Post
Anybody know of any Uk distributors for this? After reading I think I seriously want!
Have a word with Neil@juiceduptuning, he's importing some but I dont know what the price will be .
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 05:57 AM   #71
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I just flashed v400 Stage 1 Aggressive ST, it feels A LOT better than v301. People on the U.S side describe this as smooth but I think the word 'smooth' portrays that it's 'boring' and linear...well this isn't the case. It's smooth in terms that there are no longer the three power stages as you go through the rev range (a bit, a bit more, all of it feeling), it's progressive as the power builds but feels very strong, particularly after 4000rpm where things get very fun and fast. There seems to be more low end torque right down by idle which is great for town driving and not labouring the engine so much, better MPG for me here too. I like this map a lot, much more refined and no where near as jolty feeling as v301 when you were progressing through the rev range and get a bump in power.

I had a run in with a Bentley Continental GT Cabriolet yesterday, he was very surprised. Looking at the spec though, I am not, it's 1000kg heavier so his extra power didn't really count for much...still, I expected more from it.

I want to be honest with all my posts here so I'm going to mention any problems I have had. Further to my mishap with updating to the beta firmware, where the AP got stuck doing it because I wasn't running the latest beta of AP Manager, I ran into another issue this weekend and I believe it's off the back of the last issue.

I downloaded the v400 Stage 1 Aggressive ST from COBB's website and moved it to my AP via the AP manager. I went to change the map on my car with my AP using the Tuning menu and it was unable to communicate with the car at all, it got stuck on the 'Communicating with ECU' screen with the two rotating cogs and went no further. I had to disconnect the AP from the car by pulling the cable, I then retried and this time tried to uninstall the AP and I got the same problem so again after 10mins had to pull the cable. For a third time, I connected the AP to the car and read the error codes, I had two but these were just random codes thrown while playing with the AP, nothing to worry about.
I then cleared the codes and went to try to read the live ECU data (timing, boost, rpm etc) but the AP couldn't communicate and an error popped up telling me to contact Cobb and tell them that I have encountered error 1014.

This all of course happened on the weekend when COBB were out of office and I feared that the car would now be rendered useless, luckily it started and v301 software was unharmed, the car still ran flawlessly and like a beast. I was still concerned though and mentioned this to HotCoupe (who's been a great help to me the last week, thank you) when I popped over to his on Saturday, he offered me the details of a good indie who could flash my car to stock if need be.

I decided to sleep on it Saturday night and I then had a dream about flashing my car (no joke, it was doing my head in) and I woke Sunday morning wondering if there was a new v301 beta to update that AP with, essentially clearing it and starting over with fresh maps. I connected the AP and checked for beta firmware in the AP Manager, there's was one, v3.0154754687 or whatever so I updated the AP with no troubles. I then transferred my stock ROM from my PC back to my AP and Stage 1 v400 also, I wondered if deleting the stock ROM file was also a reason why the AP couldn't read the ECU properly. I then sat in my car flashing v400, everything was working fine so updating the AP again and putting the stock ROM back on seem to have fixed it. This thing is temperamental or maybe im just retarded, either way it went successfully.

Perhaps COBB should make an FAQ guide on their website for these hiccups, I seem to be the test pilot .

I just want to stress that it is SO important to update your AP Manager before updating your AP firmware, otherwise you stand to have the same problems that I did. This isn't to say that the AP is bad, it's absolutely amazing but most issues aren't realised until they are in the field, I guess that's the hazzard of being a beta tester essentially. If you want to play it dead safe, don't use the beta software/firmware, just go with the official releases after people like me test the beta versions so COBB can perfect it, it is after all impossible for them to test every potential issue before release and 99%, the AP is flawless.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 06:07 AM   #72
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Just one thing quickly: Even if you delete the original ROM file that you can see from your AP, it is still stored on the device although it's not displayed in the AP Manager. I would always delete that file as it takes up a huge amount of space as compared to the maps, and can contribute to some of the problems that you have experienced.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      03-12-2012, 06:12 AM   #73
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi Alpina. What you're saying is dead true and your stock data is always saved. I did have the stock ROM deleted at this point so I don't think it was a memory space issue, or rather lack of.

Last edited by Cozy; 03-12-2012 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #74
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Good stuff! Thanks for posting Jamjay!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #75
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

No probs . Still loving the new power, offer of a spin still stands should you so wish.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #76
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Cheers mate....I'll let you know when I'm around.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #77
335iLondon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07' 335i Msport

Bah humbug, car has 35k, never changed spark plugs.
Running stg1 aggressive resulted in misfires. Waiting until service time to do the plugs next month.
Stage 1 sport is faultless though.

Not a negative on the product, just a warning, make sure your car is in tip top shape before asking for the max from each stage.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #78
Nigelo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i se

I've just gone to stage2+fmic aggressive there yesterday and been giving it a really good hoking this evening - been lucky I think so far since I've had no problems and don't think the plugs have ever been changed in 40k miles!!!! There's always tomorrow though!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 04:25 AM   #79
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

New plugs 3k ago and all well so far (touch wood) . I'd say that v400 asks more of the car, well it feels that way anyhow as I've honestly never driven anything so fast. It makes the less refined v301 feel a little slow.

I spoke to COBB about my above problem and they have been superb in helping me out. I've updated the AP again to the latest beta firmware and all is well. Top customer service!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 04:00 AM   #80
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

v4.01

I've just flashed my car with the latest beta, v4.01. It seems smoother still than v400 and feels quite refined, almost leaning towards linear in a way. Throttle positions are better, a touch of the pedal doesn't mean WOT anymore, you have to press it down but that mighty boost of power is still there that snaps your neck. So far so good and one step closer to COBBs finalised v400 maps. Flashing took 2mins and I had no issues at all .
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #81
BMV///M3
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW f80 M3

Silly question but what's the difference in stage 1 "drive" and "sport". I always thought there was just sport and aggressive. Really have been thinking about Cobb lately. What do you stage do you use for DD?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 07:36 AM   #82
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Drive is the lowest performing map, it can be used with the American base grade fuel which is around our equivalent of 90RON (which we don't sell). That's not to say that you can't use it over here in the UK with 95/98RON (or the US with higher grade fuel), but performance is restricted to around the level of the BMW Performance tune...330bhp or so. It's a conservative map for anyone just wanting a little more poke.

Sport is a step up, can be freely used with 95 or 98RON, probably around 350bhp.

Aggressive is the full whack, 370-380bhp and bucket loads of torque. This is 98RON+ only.

The above figures are of course subject to climate and cooling ability of the car i.e. FMIC. In the Summer expect to see a drop in performance as the charge air is warmer and carries less oxygen however on cooler days in this god-forsaken British climate you should see good performance, which let's be honest is 80% of the year .

For reference, I ran my car on rolling road on a day that was 32c (90F) outside and with rolling road chamber temps of 50c (I felt sorry for the operator). The car still managed 360bhp & 408lb-ft on Stage 1 aggressive/aggressive map.

I used Stage 1 aggressive/aggressive all the time for daily use. It's very driveable and stock like should you want it to be and can be used with ease, it's only when you plant your foot that you shoot off.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 08:00 AM   #83
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iLondon View Post
Bah humbug, car has 35k, never changed spark plugs.
Running stg1 aggressive resulted in misfires. Waiting until service time to do the plugs next month.
Stage 1 sport is faultless though.

Not a negative on the product, just a warning, make sure your car is in tip top shape before asking for the max from each stage.
I've had misfires on sports map...

will do some more testing...

Will probably need to get Cobb to look at their maps again..as they're not working on my car...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 06:51 AM   #84
335iLondon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07' 335i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
I've had misfires on sports map...

will do some more testing...

Will probably need to get Cobb to look at their maps again..as they're not working on my car...
Late reply, I know, but have you changed your spark plugs recently.
If so Coil pack is next candidate.

Failing that injectors as a last resort as this is the most expensive.
Appreciate 0