E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > DIY: How to setup BMW Standard Tools 2.12 w/Windows 10 x64 (64-bit)

04-18-2016, 01:42 PM   #67
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_zx11 View Post
[QUOTE setup.exe just did nothing in windows 10 64 bit.
Did you try to run in xp service pack 3 compatibility mode on win 10?[/QUOTE]

Yes.....I tested with XP SP3 in the "check compatibility" and still nothing happened....

It is possible that I turned off activex a while back....that might be part of the problem....thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 06:42 AM   #68
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaDZL View Post
Did you try to run in xp service pack 3 compatibility mode on win 10?
Yes.....I tested with XP SP3 in the "check compatibility" and still nothing happened....

It is possible that I turned off activex a while back....that might be part of the problem....thoughts?[/QUOTE]

That could be it. It's likely that InstallShield is attempting to register an ActiveX control and is failing.
      04-19-2016, 07:46 AM   #69
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808AWD325xi
Quote:
Did you try to run in xp service pack 3 compatibility mode on win 10?

It is possible that I turned off activex a while back....that might be part of the problem....thoughts?
That could be it. It's likely that InstallShield is attempting to register an ActiveX control and is failing.[/QUOTE]
I looked in all my setting and found nothing turned off. I have no idea what's going on here...
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 08:59 AM   #70
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I looked in all my setting and found nothing turned off. I have no idea what's going on here...
The only thing I can suggest is loading a fresh copy of Windows 10.
      04-20-2016, 01:24 PM   #71
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

question. .will this work on my 2011 M3? all the cables I am seeing say valid for vehicles up to 2008 and it looks like this install night not support my car?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 05:29 PM   #72
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||||| View Post
question. .will this work on my 2011 M3? all the cables I am seeing say valid for vehicles up to 2008 and it looks like this install night not support my car?
Yes, it will work on your 2011 M3. I highly recommend the K+DCAN cable from one-stop-electronics.com. It's plug and play as described in the DIY. Just plug it in and Windows Update will install the latest drivers for you:
http://www.one-stop-electronics.com/...&product_id=16

If you want something less expensive, the cable from bimmer software will work. However, it's not plug and play. You will have to download the drivers from FTDI and manually install them, which can be a PITA:
http://bmwsw.com/cables
      05-07-2016, 02:24 PM   #73
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep

So, I got everything installed, but I'm not sure if it's working correctly. I got really hung up on the last few steps, so I don't know if I did these few steps correctly, or how important they are:

Quote:
Install the patched 32-bit NCS Expert.

Example:
Code:
rename C:\NCSEXPER\BIN\NCSEXPER.EXE NCSEXPER.OLD
rename C:\NCSEXPER\CFGDAT\NCSEXPER.TXT NCSEXPER.GER
copy NCSEXPER.EXE C:\NCSEXPER\BIN /v
copy NCSEXPER.TXT C:\NCSEXPER\CFGDAT /v
Copy the NCS Expert profiles to the C:\NCSEXPER\PFL folder.

Example:
Code:
copy *.PFL C:\NCSEXPER\PFL /v
Copy the NFS INFO.GER file to avoid a nuisance error in WinKFP.

Example:
Code:
cd C:\EC-APPS\NFS\DATA\GDATEN
copy INFO.GER INFO.ENG /v
That said, here are few things of concern:

1. The original version of NCS Expert titled NCS Expert Tool which was on my desktop is no longer a valid shortcut. Program appears to have been removed, and the new version popped up (just titled NCS Exper).

2. I opened up INPA, and with the cable plugged in, both black dots are filled in for battery and ignition. Plugged it into the car, turned the ignition on (did not start car) and the green light on my cable illuminated. I tried to enter my vehicle info, but it gave me an error saying the ECU did not respond. I assume this is because the car wasn't running, or did I do something wrong? I couldn't start the car, it is too loud and its midnight here, so that will have to wait until tomorrow.

3. NCS Expert is in german. Is this normal? Any way to change it to english? Also I have very few options in NCS Expert, and it looks very blank and bare. The only things I can really do are "Load Profile" or "Edit Profile". Same thing with Toolset 32. It is very bare and I can't do much with it (maybe because the car isn't communicating with it?) On WinKFP I can choose Expert Mode and Comfort Mode. After that it goes into a bunch of stuff I don't understand.

Does everything seem like it's working right so far?
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rat3d_m/

Last edited by Rat3d ///M; 05-07-2016 at 05:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 05:50 PM   #74
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
So, I got everything installed, but I'm not sure if it's working correctly. I got really hung up on the last few steps, so I don't know if I did these few steps correctly, or how important they are:

That said, here are few things of concern:

1. The original version of NCS Expert titled NCS Expert Tool which was on my desktop is no longer a valid shortcut. Program appears to have been removed, and the new version popped up (just titled NCS Exper).
Hmmm, I've never experienced that issue personally. Nor has anyone reported any such difficulty in the past.

Based on question #3, something went wrong when you attempted to install the English version of NCS-Expert.

Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of a long distance household move right now and don't have a lot of spare time for forum activities. So I will have to keep this brief.

Quote:
2. I opened up INPA, and with the cable plugged in, both black dots are filled in for battery and ignition. Plugged it into the car, turned the ignition on (did not start car) and the green light on my cable illuminated. I tried to enter my vehicle info, but it gave me an error saying the ECU did not respond. I assume this is because the car wasn't running, or did I do something wrong? I couldn't start the car, it is too loud and its midnight here, so that will have to wait until tomorrow.
The car does not need to be running. Only the ignition needs to be on.

Which cable did you purchase?

Can you post a screenshot of the error?

Quote:
3. NCS Expert is in german. Is this normal? Any way to change it to english? Also I have very few options in NCS Expert, and it looks very blank and bare. The only things I can really do are "Load Profile" or "Edit Profile". Same thing with Toolset 32. It is very bare and I can't do much with it (maybe because the car isn't communicating with it?) On WinKFP I can choose Expert Mode and Comfort Mode. After that it goes into a bunch of stuff I don't understand.

Does everything seem like it's working right so far?
No. I noticed your post earlier, but had not had an opportunity to respond. Unfortunately, by the time I responded, you had edited your post and removed a bunch of details. From what I recall, you did not install the English version of NCS-Expert or the necessary profiles, maybe more...I also recall you mentioning something about a rar file...

Are you comfortable with Windows command line syntax? (i.e. using the copy command)

Please share more details and I will try to check the forum again later tonight.
      05-08-2016, 07:41 AM   #75
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808AWD325xi View Post
Hmmm, I've never experienced that issue personally. Nor has anyone reported any such difficulty in the past.

Based on question #3, something went wrong when you attempted to install the English version of NCS-Expert.

Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of a long distance household move right now and don't have a lot of spare time for forum activities. So I will have to keep this brief.

The car does not need to be running. Only the ignition needs to be on.

Which cable did you purchase?

Can you post a screenshot of the error?

No. I noticed your post earlier, but had not had an opportunity to respond. Unfortunately, by the time I responded, you had edited your post and removed a bunch of details. From what I recall, you did not install the English version of NCS-Expert or the necessary profiles, maybe more...I also recall you mentioning something about a rar file...

Are you comfortable with Windows command line syntax? (i.e. using the copy command)

Please share more details and I will try to check the forum again later tonight.
This will be long, so please bear with me..

To start off and to answer your question, I don't know anything about Windows command line syntax. I did my best with this install, and with the exception of a few steps, everything went flawlessly and exactly as described on the DIY tutorial. That said, I uninstalled everything and started over from the point at which you install Standard Tools. I also double checked the cable settings in Device Manager, and everything is 100% as prescribed, so no issues there.

BTW: My original post stated I was having issues with the step where you have to copy the group Daten files..i.e. here:

Quote:
Copy the group files from the SP Daten E89 folder to C:\EDIABAS\ECU.
This was my own stupidity, as I still had the Daten folder as a RAR and hadn't unzipped it yet (hope I stated that correctly). Once I did so, all the Exx folders popped up, and I was able to do what I needed with the E89 folder, so no issues there anymore.

Going through the install again, everything went exactly as it should have, until I got to this step:

Quote:
Go to the E89\DATEN directory and execute the LADEN.BAT script.
Before I continue, I want to say that I am not even sure I was executing the commands correctly. I simply copied and pasted what was written in the Code boxes, hit enter, and it typically popped up a confirmation that it was successful (i.e. copying files) just as the Code box said in the thread, so I assume I was doing it correctly? Also, before I continue, I wanted to double check, in this step..

Quote:
Import your daten files into WinKFP using this guide (steps 2-8):
..I used the E89 Daten files opposed to the E60 that the DIY link stated he used, is this correct?

Okay, back on track..so as far as executing the Laden file, the Code provided didn't do anything for me, and in fact made no sense to me (not even sure what it does?) so I went into the folder directly, double clicked the laden file, and a command script box popped up, ran hundreds of lines too quickly to read, then went away. If this is correct, and all I need to do, then I am good to go on this step, but the weird thing is, I didn't get the errors that the DIY stated I should receive. The command script box just came up, ran the lines of code and then went away after 5 or so seconds.

My next issue came at the end on this step:

Quote:
The code provided here was very confusing to me, and caused me issues:

Quote:
The first line is where my issue with the German version of NCS Expert not working anymore came in. As soon as I copied and pasted that line into the Command script screen, the link stopped working. After running these first two lines, I noticed this issue, so I changed them back (ran the code in reverse) and the original NCS Expert program worked again. The second two lines of code did nothing for me, and I am not sure if they are important steps, but I still have not accomplished them..?

The very next step, regarding copying the NCS Expert PFLs gave me trouble originally, but I got it figured out. Didn't do it with code in the COmmand screen, but I copied and pasted them into the correct folder manually, and the profiles are now popping up on NCS Expert as they should, so we are good there. Also, I took the 32 bit version of NCS Expert and placed it in the main NCS Expert folder in place of the german version, and clicking on the original desktop link pops up the english version and the profiles are all there, so this issue seems to be fixed now.

The very last step I was able to do no problem, it worked for me.

So to recap, everything seems to be installed. INPA works, is in English, and the cable being plugged in illuminates the Ignition and Battery icons. NCS Expert is in English now, and the profiles are showing up. The submenus are also in english thanks to moving the txt file over as stated in one of the links where you download the files earlier on in your DIY. All programs SEEM to be working just fine, but I still cannot read my car.

Below is the error I am getting (this happens after selecting S65 M3 from the Engine menu for my car, and it tries to connect, but fails)..

Here is a screenshot of the driver version installed for my cable

This is a link the cable I purchased..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331749200840...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Here is a shot of the EDIABAS screen and the INPA screen to show that it is connected and working properly (for what it's worth, I have the EDIABAS screen open in the background, as I know not doing so can cause connectivity issues)

Not really sure where to go from here..everything seems to be installed properly, it just won't connect to my car. The only thing I can think of us that for my car (2011 BMW M3) the cable has to be modded (I've read something about jumping a couple of the terminals with a small wire for certain years?) Or maybe I missed an important step in the process somewhere that isn't allowing INPA to communicate? I'm not sure if I am able to read the car with NCS Expert or any of the other programs. I am not as well versed in them and don't want to take a chance of doing damage to the ECU w/ NCS Expert by not knowing what I am doing.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 03:57 PM   #76
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

*** Edit: this post is long and has a ton of nested quotes. It does not display in its entirety using the Bimmerpost app! ***

Quote:
This will be long, so please bear with me..
No problem, the more detail the better.

The most challenging and time consuming part of my response will be to clean up the formatting of your post.

Let me start by saying kudos to you for sticking with it and investing the time to learn to do this yourself. This process will help you begin to build a fundamental understanding of the BMW software that will serve you well in the future when you begin to explore advanced use cases.

Quote:
To start off and to answer your question, I don't know anything about Windows command line syntax. I did my best with this install, and with the exception of a few steps, everything went flawlessly and exactly as described on the DIY tutorial. That said, I uninstalled everything and started over from the point at which you install Standard Tools. I also double checked the cable settings in Device Manager, and everything is 100% as prescribed, so no issues there.

BTW: My original post stated I was having issues with the step where you have to copy the group Daten files..i.e. here:

Quote:
Copy the group files from the SP Daten E89 folder to C:\EDIABAS\ECU.
Code:
C:\>copy X:\E89\ECU\*.GRP C:\EDIABAS\ECU /v
80 file(s) copied.
This was my own stupidity, as I still had the Daten folder as a RAR and hadn't unzipped it yet (hope I stated that correctly). Once I did so, all the Exx folders popped up, and I was able to do what I needed with the E89 folder, so no issues there anymore.
Yes, that is stated correctly.

Quote:
Going through the install again, everything went exactly as it should have, until I got to this step:

Quote:
Code:
C:\>cd X:\E89\DATEN
X:\E89\DATEN>laden.bat
You’ll receive errors at the end of the script due to the missing C:\EC-APPS\CARSERVER directory, ignore them. When the cmd.exe dialog box appears, click on Continue.

Before I continue, I want to say that I am not even sure I was executing the commands correctly. I simply copied and pasted what was written in the Code boxes, hit enter, and it typically popped up a confirmation that it was successful (i.e. copying files) just as the Code box said in the thread, so I assume I was doing it correctly? Also, before I continue, I wanted to double check, in this step..

Quote:
Import your daten files into WinKFP using this guide (steps 2-8):
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...8&d=1375758759
..I used the E89 Daten files opposed to the E60 that the DIY link stated he used, is this correct?
Yes, that is correct. You need to use the daten folder which is appropriate for your chassis. Because you have an E90, the proper folder is E89. Check out this thread for a complete chassis guide:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=642883

With regards to the copy command(s) used throughout the DIY, it is very important that you modify the drive letter and path to the source files (i.e. X:\E89\ECU\*.GRP) as necessary to reflect where you have stored the source files as explained in the DIY:

Quote:
Please note: This section of the DIY could be improved for neophyte Windows users. It assumes that you understand command line syntax. In this context, X: denotes an unknown drive letter (i.e. the USB thumb drive that you saved your INPA CFGDAT and SGDAT folders to.) For example, if in Windows File Explorer under This PC your USB thumb drive is denoted as Drive E:, then you should use E: instead.

Code:
C:\Users\808>copy E:\CFGDAT\*.ENG C:\EC-APPS\INPA\CFGDAT /v
14 file(s) copied.
If you chose to store the CFGDAT folder in another folder named MyStuff, then you would have to include MyStuff in the source path.

Code:
C:\Users\808>copy E:\MYSTUFF\CFGDAT\*.ENG C:\EC-APPS\INPA\CFGDAT /v
14 file(s) copied.
The drive letter and path to the source file(s) is dependent on where you stored the files.
You cannot simply copy and paste the example code. If you do that, the copy command(s) will fail and ultimately your BMW Standard Tools 2.12 installation will not work properly because the requisite files will not be located in the folders where the software expects to find them.

The Windows Command-Line Reference explains the copy command syntax and includes usage examples:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...=ws.11%29.aspx

Once you have had an opportunity to review the Windows Command-Line Reference, if anything is still unclear, please ask any clarifying questions that you may have.

Quote:
Okay, back on track..so as far as executing the Laden file, the Code provided didn't do anything for me, and in fact made no sense to me (not even sure what it does?) so I went into the folder directly, double clicked the laden file, and a command script box popped up, ran hundreds of lines too quickly to read, then went away. If this is correct, and all I need to do, then I am good to go on this step, but the weird thing is, I didn't get the errors that the DIY stated I should receive. The command script box just came up, ran the lines of code and then went away after 5 or so seconds.
My apologies for any inconvenience, you actually discovered a minor bug in the DIY which I have since corrected in the original post. The cd command syntax in the DIY was incorrect. I accidentally omitted the /d parameter.

cd is the Change Directory command. The Windows Command-Line Reference explains its syntax and includes usage examples:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../cc731237.aspx

At that step in the DIY when you execute the LADEN.BAT script, you should have had a Command Prompt window opened with Administrator privileges (as seen in the screen capture below) and entered the following two commands:
Quote:
Code:
C:\>cd /d X:\E89\DATEN
X:\E89\DATEN>laden.bat
Once you have changed to the proper directory (also known as a folder), then you enter the name of the script to begin execution. In this case, the name of the BMW provided script is LADEN.BAT.

You can tell from the command prompt in the screenshot below that my SP daten files were stored on drive "E:" in the folder "\INSTALL\E89":

Hence, I would have had to enter the following two commands in order to execute the LADEN.BAT script:
Code:
cd /d E:\INSTALL\E89\DATEN
LADEN.BAT
Similarly to the copy command(s), you would have also needed to alter the drive letter and path of the cd command to reflect the drive letter and path where you stored your SP daten files.

Because you navigated to the SP daten folder with Windows File Explorer and double clicked on the LADEN.BAT script, that is why you did not see the errors in the screenshot above.

Hopefully that makes sense. Once you have had an opportunity to review the Windows Command-Line Reference, if anything is still unclear, please ask any clarifying questions that you may have.

The most important thing that the LADEN.BAT script does is populate the C:\NCSEXPER\DATEN and C:\NCSEXPER\DATEN\E89 folders as partially seen in the screenshot above. Check your C:\NCSEXPER\DATEN folder, it should have (7) files in it (not including the E89 sub-folder.) If it does, the script likely executed successfully.

Quote:
My next issue came at the end on this step:

Quote:
The code provided here was very confusing to me, and caused me issues:

Quote:
Example:
Code:
The first line is where my issue with the German version of NCS Expert not working anymore came in. As soon as I copied and pasted that line into the Command script screen, the link stopped working. After running these first two lines, I noticed this issue, so I changed them back (ran the code in reverse) and the original NCS Expert program worked again. The second two lines of code did nothing for me, and I am not sure if they are important steps, but I still have not accomplished them..?
Yes, these are very important steps, if you want your NCS-Expert to be in English.

Once the rename commands have been executed, NCS-Expert will not be accessible momentarily until the copy commands have been successfully executed. This is because the binary executable that the Windows desktop shortcut points to has been renamed, but the shortcut has not been updated. Once the English version of NCS-Expert has been copied into its place, the desktop shortcut will once again function.

As previously explained earlier in this reply, the drive letter and source path of the copy command(s) will have to be altered depending upon where you placed the files after unzipping the NCSEXPER32_ENG.zip file.

Alternatively, you could just use the cd command and change directories to whichever folder the files are stored in prior to executing the copy command(s).

Quote:
The very next step, regarding copying the NCS Expert PFLs gave me trouble originally, but I got it figured out. Didn't do it with code in the COmmand screen, but I copied and pasted them into the correct folder manually, and the profiles are now popping up on NCS Expert as they should, so we are good there. Also, I took the 32 bit version of NCS Expert and placed it in the main NCS Expert folder in place of the german version, and clicking on the original desktop link pops up the english version and the profiles are all there, so this issue seems to be fixed now.

The very last step I was able to do no problem, it worked for me.

So to recap, everything seems to be installed. INPA works, is in English, and the cable being plugged in illuminates the Ignition and Battery icons. NCS Expert is in English now, and the profiles are showing up. The submenus are also in english thanks to moving the txt file over as stated in one of the links where you download the files earlier on in your DIY. All programs SEEM to be working just fine, but I still cannot read my car.

Below is the error I am getting (this happens after selecting S65 M3 from the Engine menu for my car, and it tries to connect, but fails)..

Here is a screenshot of the driver version installed for my cable

This is a link the cable I purchased..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331749200840...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Here is a shot of the EDIABAS screen and the INPA screen to show that it is connected and working properly (for what it's worth, I have the EDIABAS screen open in the background, as I know not doing so can cause connectivity issues)

Not really sure where to go from here..everything seems to be installed properly, it just won't connect to my car. The only thing I can think of us that for my car (2011 BMW M3) the cable has to be modded (I've read something about jumping a couple of the terminals with a small wire for certain years?) Or maybe I missed an important step in the process somewhere that isn't allowing INPA to communicate? I'm not sure if I am able to read the car with NCS Expert or any of the other programs. I am not as well versed in them and don't want to take a chance of doing damage to the ECU w/ NCS Expert by not knowing what I am doing.
If you want to see if INPA is broken, try displaying all installed modules as outlined in question #5 of my FAQ:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...48&postcount=2

A simple test with NCS-Expert to see if communication with the car is possible is to read the VIN (FG) and vehicle order (FA). Launch NCS-Expert and load the "EXPERT MAN" profile. Click on F1, F3, select the E89 chassis and click OK, select the CAS ECU and click OK. A screen similar to the one below should be displayed. The information in the lower box under "Get coded:" will not be present. Finally, close NCS-Expert:

I think that it's very likely that you missed an important step in the process because you were copying and pasting the copy commands. That simply will not work as previously explained.

That being said, if I were you, I would reinstall Windows and start over. That is the only way I would feel 100% confident that the software is installed correctly.

Last edited by 808AWD325xi; 05-08-2016 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: post is not displayed properly with the Bmmerpost app
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2016, 05:15 PM   #77
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep

I should add that when I copied and pasted the syntax into the command prompt window, I did change the drive letter to my drive that the files were stored on. I also made things easier by putting all of the files or folders at the very beginning of the directory, so I literally just had to copy and paste what you had, change the drive letter to F and hit enter. This worked for me every time, except those cases where I stated it didn't.

FWIW, I got the Laden file to run properly through command prompt, though I am not sure what difference it makes at this point or if it did more harm than good. NCS Expert is in english using the method I did, but when and if I decide to delete everything and start over again, I will make sure I run those prompts correctly.

Tomorrow I will try the tests you mentioned and see what happens. Also, my NCSExper/Daten folder does have 7 files in it aside from the E89 folder, so I assume that when I clicked the Laden file to run it, it was successful. Is there anything I can troubleshoot with the cable to ensure it is working properly? For a 2011 it does not need to have pins 7 and 8 jumped, correct?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 05:36 PM   #78
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I should add that when I copied and pasted the syntax into the command prompt window, I did change the drive letter to my drive that the files were stored on. I also made things easier by putting all of the files or folders at the very beginning of the directory, so I literally just had to copy and paste what you had, change the drive letter to F and hit enter. This worked for me every time, except those cases where I stated it didn't.

FWIW, I got the Laden file to run properly through command prompt, though I am not sure what difference it makes at this point or if it did more harm than good. NCS Expert is in english using the method I did, but when and if I decide to delete everything and start over again, I will make sure I run those prompts correctly.

Tomorrow I will try the tests you mentioned and see what happens. Also, my NCSExper/Daten folder does have 7 files in it aside from the E89 folder, so I assume that when I clicked the Laden file to run it, it was successful. Is there anything I can troubleshoot with the cable to ensure it is working properly? For a 2011 it does not need to have pins 7 and 8 jumped, correct?
Correct. Refer to the OSS applications documentation (page 7) for the chart of vehicles which require pins 7-8 of the OBD connector to be bridged for vehicle communication:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...mentid=691959&

As far as cable troubleshooting, I don't have any further advice other than if it comes to it, purchase a cable from one stop.
      05-09-2016, 09:05 AM   #79
uuni
First Lieutenant
Ethiopia
Rep
Drives: BMW

I installed the Standard Tools to win10 (not clean install) and it seemed to go as instructions but when trying to flash the Alpine Transmission flash I got following error message:

Any idea what is wrong and is it fixable? I can't do clean install to my computer but if needed I can get hold computer with win 8.1 and do clean install if that is easier route.

Edit it seems that picture is not showing, attached the link. http://postimg.org/image/q2atzmx1d/full/
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 10:22 AM   #80
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uuni View Post
I installed the Standard Tools to win10 (not clean install) and it seemed to go as instructions but when trying to flash the Alpine Transmission flash I got following error message:

Any idea what is wrong and is it fixable? I can't do clean install to my computer but if needed I can get hold computer with win 8.1 and do clean install if that is easier route.

Edit it seems that picture is not showing, attached the link. http://postimg.org/image/q2atzmx1d/full/
That error usually occurs when another program is using the COM port or the COM port that EDIABAS is configured to use doesn't exist.

Make sure that no other programs are running and review your COM port settings.
      05-09-2016, 01:06 PM   #81
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep

Progress: Not sure what I did, but I got the computer to communicate with the car. I first tried the two tests you mentioned, but they both failed (either gave me error messages or no info populated in NCS Expert). On a hunch, I tried a different USB port, and I think I got the same results? But when I switched back to the original port, I was able to read my error codes under the functional menu, my vehicle info showed up, and when I did the test in NCS Expert, all my vehicle information populated. Tried it several times, and it's all working. Not sure what I did, or if switching to a different USB port actually helped, but i do have another issue now:

When I go into the functional menu and read codes, etc, INPA is in English, but when I go into the Engine menu, or any other menus (which were originally giving me the error from before), I can get in, but it changes to German..? I assume this is an issue with the files for INPA and the way it was saved to my computer, so is there a way to fix this issue? Im reluctant to delete everything and start over now that it's working, but I don't feel comfortable doing anything in INPA when I can't read the language..weird that the functional menu is in English and all the others are in German.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 04:22 PM   #82
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Progress: Not sure what I did, but I got the computer to communicate with the car. I first tried the two tests you mentioned, but they both failed (either gave me error messages or no info populated in NCS Expert). On a hunch, I tried a different USB port, and I think I got the same results? But when I switched back to the original port, I was able to read my error codes under the functional menu, my vehicle info showed up, and when I did the test in NCS Expert, all my vehicle information populated. Tried it several times, and it's all working. Not sure what I did, or if switching to a different USB port actually helped, but i do have another issue now:

When I go into the functional menu and read codes, etc, INPA is in English, but when I go into the Engine menu, or any other menus (which were originally giving me the error from before), I can get in, but it changes to German..? I assume this is an issue with the files for INPA and the way it was saved to my computer, so is there a way to fix this issue? Im reluctant to delete everything and start over now that it's working, but I don't feel comfortable doing anything in INPA when I can't read the language..weird that the functional menu is in English and all the others are in German.
Whichever USB port the cable was plugged into when the drivers were installed is the same port that must be used from that point forward or the COM port number assignment will change. Unless the software is reconfigured to use the new COM port number, nothing will work.

As far as the INPA scripts are concerned, the language variant was chosen at the time INPA 5.0.2 was installed. It's important to always select BMW Group Rectification programs UK to ensure that the INPA scripts that are extracted are English metric. It's not a one time selection and must be consistently chosen throughout the INPA 5.0.2 installation process.

Barring any mistakes during the initial INPA 5.0.2 installation, keep in mind that the scripts are mostly in English. I have a 335i so I can't speak to the MSS60 script, but as I recall it's a mix of English and German, but mostly it's in German. Whereas the MSD80 script for the 335i is in English.

If you want everything in English, your best bet is ISTA/D. It's much newer software and has a nice looking GUI interface, however, it's a different animal all together. It's intended for dealer techs as opposed to Engineering professionals and as such has a different set of capabilities.
      05-10-2016, 04:08 AM   #83
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep

So it sounds like my programs are good to go then? Just so I know I am doing it right every time, is there a certain order in which you need to hook the car up..(i.e. plug cable into computer, then plug cable into car, then open INPA, etc.)?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 10:01 AM   #84
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
So it sounds like my programs are good to go then? Just so I know I am doing it right every time, is there a certain order in which you need to hook the car up..(i.e. plug cable into computer, then plug cable into car, then open INPA, etc.)?
I really can't say. As mentioned previously, If I were you, I would reinstall from the beginning and ensure that everything goes as described in the DIY (including that my display matches the screenshots.)

You mentioned that every INPA script that you have ran is in German, that doesn't sound right to me (excluding MSS60.) Unfortunately, I don't have a K+DCAN cable at this moment or the time to comb through the scripts to determine which ones may be in German.

With regards to the order in which to connect things, I usually plug the cable into the OBD socket first and then connect it to my running computer. Lastly, I turn on the ignition. It seems to work best that way. Sometimes INPA takes a moment to read the battery and ignition clamps. Don't be alarmed, read something in INPA and go back to the main menu and the dots will be black.
      05-17-2016, 03:09 PM   #85
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but as stated I've been able to communicate with my car, so I've been reluctant to reinstall everything for fear I would run into the same issues as before with the install and have the same results (or not be able to communicate with the car at all). Something is certainly not functioning properly with my cable, so I had hoped that you could help me understand what the issue is (cable or program install issues) and what I can do if anything to fix it (short of reinstalling everything or buying a new cable).

Here is what I've had to do to get my setup to communicate with my car (some steps may not have anything to do with it, but this is what I do and it works):

1. Plug INPA cable into USB port (cable light will turn orange and stay illuminated)
2. Wait until light on cable goes out (30 seconds?)
3. Open IFHSrv32 (doesn't seem to make a difference though)
4. Open INPA (Black dots will be illuminated)
5. Plug cable into car
6. Turn ignition on
7. Cycle ignition off (both INPA black dots go out
8. Turn ignition back on (both INPA dots turn on again
9. At this point, I can communicate with the car (light on cable is off, though it will flicker orange when the ECU is being read

I should add, that if I simply plug the cable into the car without waiting for the orange light to go out, the orange light will turn green once it's plugged in, both black dots will be illuminated (and I don't believe cycling the engine on and off affects this) and I get the IFH-0009 error and can't do anything. For some reason, I am being forced to wait until the lights go out on the cable, then I can plug the cable into the car and communicate with it

I could be wrong, but I believe the following is wrong:

1. When I turn the ignition off, only the IGN button should go white (BATT should stay illuminated)
2. I would assume the lights on the cable should do more than just flicker when the ECU is being read (but when my lights are orange or green the car won't communicate with INPA)

It seems I have an issue, though I can communicate with the car so I am wondering if I should just leave it and continue as is. Anyone seen anything like this, or know what my issue is (hardware or software)?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 09:14 AM   #86
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Sorry to beat a dead horse, but as stated I've been able to communicate with my car, so I've been reluctant to reinstall everything for fear I would run into the same issues as before with the install and have the same results (or not be able to communicate with the car at all). Something is certainly not functioning properly with my cable, so I had hoped that you could help me understand what the issue is (cable or program install issues) and what I can do if anything to fix it (short of reinstalling everything or buying a new cable).

Here is what I've had to do to get my setup to communicate with my car (some steps may not have anything to do with it, but this is what I do and it works):

1. Plug INPA cable into USB port (cable light will turn orange and stay illuminated)
2. Wait until light on cable goes out (30 seconds?)
3. Open IFHSrv32 (doesn't seem to make a difference though)
4. Open INPA (Black dots will be illuminated)
5. Plug cable into car
6. Turn ignition on
7. Cycle ignition off (both INPA black dots go out
8. Turn ignition back on (both INPA dots turn on again
9. At this point, I can communicate with the car (light on cable is off, though it will flicker orange when the ECU is being read

I should add, that if I simply plug the cable into the car without waiting for the orange light to go out, the orange light will turn green once it's plugged in, both black dots will be illuminated (and I don't believe cycling the engine on and off affects this) and I get the IFH-0009 error and can't do anything. For some reason, I am being forced to wait until the lights go out on the cable, then I can plug the cable into the car and communicate with it

I could be wrong, but I believe the following is wrong:

1. When I turn the ignition off, only the IGN button should go white (BATT should stay illuminated)
2. I would assume the lights on the cable should do more than just flicker when the ECU is being read (but when my lights are orange or green the car won't communicate with INPA)

It seems I have an issue, though I can communicate with the car so I am wondering if I should just leave it and continue as is. Anyone seen anything like this, or know what my issue is (hardware or software)?
Again, I'm in the process of relocating and do not currently have access to my rig or car. As I recall, you're correct, the ignition clamp should function independently from the battery clamp.

Sometimes cheap K+DCAN cables have incorrect resistors which preclude sensing of the battery and/or ignition signals. I use a one stop cable and have never had any issues. Sorry I can't be of more help.
      05-18-2016, 11:50 AM   #87
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Again, I'm in the process of relocating and do not currently have access to my rig or car. As I recall, you're correct, the ignition clamp should function independently from the battery clamp.

Sometimes cheap K+DCAN cables have incorrect resistors which preclude sensing of the battery and/or ignition signals. I use a one stop cable and have never had any issues. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Thanks..I successfully did some coding with NCS Expert earlier, so my cable works like a charm. I will probably pick up a one stop cable in the future, but for now mine seems to work okay. It's just getting it connected that is the trouble, once it connects, it is good to go
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 08:51 AM   #88
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks..I successfully did some coding with NCS Expert earlier, so my cable works like a charm. I will probably pick up a one stop cable in the future, but for now mine seems to work okay. It's just getting it connected that is the trouble, once it connects, it is good to go
Glad to hear you got it working.

If I was able to help you, please click on the appreciate button. It's at the bottom left hand corner of every post. It's kind of grayed out until you mouse over it.