E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Another Bimmerlabs 330i tune thread

03-22-2020, 11:58 PM   #1
con.fetti
Rep
Drives: Modified E90 328i

Question Another Bimmerlabs 330i tune thread

I know this discussion has already been run into the ground at this point so I'm going to get straight to the point. I have a 3IM coming in the mail in a couple weeks and am going to attempt the 330i flash tune from Bimmerlabs. I just finished configuring the program but I'm not sure it's correct. There are a few red flags that have me concerned.
  1. I do not have the "ecudata" folder shown in the Bimmerlabs tutorial, however, I do have "Ecu" and "EnglishEcu" folders. Are these the same thing?

2. My chassis code folder (E89) does not contain .prg files. It instead contains these:

3. All of the .prg files appear in the "EnglishEcu" folder. Is this correct?

If this is all jumbled up I'll go ahead and remove all of the files and restart the installation. Better to find out now than during the flash

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 05:16 AM   #2
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Installation looks normal to me. The ecudata folder is the name of the folder that ISTA-P stores in the daten files in, never seen that as part of the standard tools installation.

All your .prg files should end up in "C:\EDIABAS\ECU" or "C:\EDIABAS\EnglishEcu".
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 12:35 PM   #3
con.fetti
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
Installation looks normal to me. The ecudata folder is the name of the folder that ISTA-P stores in the daten files in, never seen that as part of the standard tools installation.

All your .prg files should end up in "C:\EDIABAS\ECU" or "C:\EDIABAS\EnglishEcu".
Okay perfect, that's where they are stored on my end. The part that threw me I guess was Bimmergeeks saying to delete and replace the folders, but Bimmerlabs saying not to. However, if I didn't delete and replace the folders, the programs would not open.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 12:05 AM   #4
con.fetti
Rep

^thoughts on that?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 04:01 AM   #5
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Bimmergeeks is the proven solution for getting a working standard tools installation so I'd follow that.

I've had a look at Bimmerlabs before and like the idea of flash tuning with WinKFP but with the N54 platform there is better tools. One thing I did notice about the Bimmerlabs method was that it's very sensitive to WinKFP settings so make sure you follow that part to the letter. Something about disabling bootsectorupdate IIRC.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 11:55 AM   #6
con.fetti
Rep

Quote:
Bimmergeeks is the proven solution for getting a working standard tools installation so I'd follow that.

I've had a look at Bimmerlabs before and like the idea of flash tuning with WinKFP but with the N54 platform there is better tools. One thing I did notice about the Bimmerlabs method was that it's very sensitive to WinKFP settings so make sure you follow that part to the letter. Something about disabling bootsectorupdate IIRC.
I configured WinKFP to a T, so hopefully I'm good to go. I think I'm just going to have to go for it. I've read a lot of horror stories about bricking the DME so I'm anxious. Hopefully all goes well and if so, I'll report back here!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 05:12 PM   #7
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by con.fetti View Post
Quote:

I configured WinKFP to a T, so hopefully I'm good to go. I think I'm just going to have to go for it. I've read a lot of horror stories about bricking the DME so I'm anxious. Hopefully all goes well and if so, I'll report back here!
Before jumping in, try doing a few basic things like using INPA. This will help you confirm your connections before you do something that really needs a good connection.

Its very hard to brick a DME with Winfkp. If you screw up the DME will go into recovery mode but that's easy to fix, scary but easy.

Regardless you need good reliable connections.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 04:14 PM   #8
con.fetti
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
Before jumping in, try doing a few basic things like using INPA. This will help you confirm your connections before you do something that really needs a good connection.

Its very hard to brick a DME with Winfkp. If you screw up the DME will go into recovery mode but that's easy to fix, scary but easy.

Thank you for the response. I'm still waiting for the 3im in the mail so I have plenty of time to make sure things are configured before jumping in. For the cable, I'll be using the official Bimmergeeks one as I've heard nothing but good things about it. As far as INPA goes, I get the OK that the cable is connected and the ignition is on.

I read that you should keep a battery charger on the car during the process. Is that just as simple as plugging in the charger while the car is in accessory mode? I've used a trickle charger 100s of times, but never while the car is set to accessory.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 05:55 PM   #9
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by con.fetti View Post
Quote:

Thank you for the response. I'm still waiting for the 3im in the mail so I have plenty of time to make sure things are configured before jumping in. For the cable, I'll be using the official Bimmergeeks one as I've heard nothing but good things about it. As far as INPA goes, I get the OK that the cable is connected and the ignition is on.

I read that you should keep a battery charger on the car during the process. Is that just as simple as plugging in the charger while the car is in accessory mode? I've used a trickle charger 100s of times, but never while the car is set to accessory.
Checking the connection with INPA is just part of the process as I check for stored errors before the flash. If I get an error after the flash, I'm pretty sure the flash was the cause.

I always use a battery charger when doing a long flash like RSA delete. Just a habit, my older E85 ran the fuel pump during the flash and it took 20 amps to keep up with the loads. No trickle charger will manage that.

My E89 does not run the fuel pump while flashing but I never checked the load during a flash. I have a great 45 amp charger in the garage. Takes two minutes to hook up and I don't worry about it. Frankly you run the RSA delete once, just be prepared.

For the short flashes, I just keep the radio, headlights and fans turned off. They should only take 1-2 minutes. Even with the tiny battery fitted into my E85 that was never an issue. With that car, I frequently flashed on the road, just pull into a gas station and try something new.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 12:24 AM   #10
con.fetti
Rep

Quote:
Checking the connection with INPA is just part of the process as I check for stored errors before the flash. If I get an error after the flash, I'm pretty sure the flash was the cause.

I always use a battery charger when doing a long flash like RSA delete. Just a habit, my older E85 ran the fuel pump during the flash and it took 20 amps to keep up with the loads. No trickle charger will manage that.

My E89 does not run the fuel pump while flashing but I never checked the load during a flash. I have a great 45 amp charger in the garage. Takes two minutes to hook up and I don't worry about it. Frankly you run the RSA delete once, just be prepared.

For the short flashes, I just keep the radio, headlights and fans turned off. They should only take 1-2 minutes. Even with the tiny battery fitted into my E85 that was never an issue. With that car, I frequently flashed on the road, just pull into a gas station and try something new.
I definitely don't want the battery quitting during the RSA delete. So for the battery charger, is it just a matter of hooking up the terminals and plugging it in? I didn't know you could keep a battery on this way. I thought the chargers were exclusively for dead batteries. The more you know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 02:09 PM   #11
BeatMW_E90
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

I also am having issues, been having them for a while trying to get the 3 stage manifold tune from bimmerlabs installed.
Updated all the daten files through BMW Coding tool. Using a batch file from Bimmergeeks. file runs but WinKFP throws errors:
"File could not be opened for reading \DATA\gtaten\kfconf??.da2
"Error in file processing (general) .\DATA\gdaten\
"coapikfinit()failed
and the last one is a 99 error something in German I can't understand.

Anyone have ideas?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 02:22 PM   #12
Silnismo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatMW_E90 View Post
I also am having issues, been having them for a while trying to get the 3 stage manifold tune from bimmerlabs installed.
Updated all the daten files through BMW Coding tool. Using a batch file from Bimmergeeks. file runs but WinKFP throws errors:
"coapikfinit()failed

Anyone have ideas?
@BeatMW_E90

I got those errors when I deleted the files from my c drive and replaced them with the files in the download.

Bimmergeeks instructions stated to skip that part, after i re-did extract process I no longer had that error message come up.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 02:13 PM   #13
BeatMW_E90
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ok I reinstalled and updated the datens again but did not replace the folders with the files in the download. If I run the .bat as an administrator It's running the .bat and not finding files (doesn't say which ones) and winkfp is hanging on status of Waiting for Control File. If I just double click and not select run as administrator, winkfp immediately closes and the batch file reads errors of not being able to set ECU address.
When I look in the folder for the control file (C:\EC-APPS\NFS\BIN) I do not find the msv80.ctl I'm not sure if I can copy/paste it there from the bimmerlabs folder that contains the .bat or if there is a different problem.

Screen shots attached.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 03:42 PM   #14
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Ok I reinstalled and updated the datens again but did not replace the folders with the files in the download. If I run the .bat as an administrator It's running the .bat and not finding files (doesn't say which ones) and winkfp is hanging on status of Waiting for Control File. If I just double click and not select run as administrator, winkfp immediately closes and the batch file reads errors of not being able to set ECU address.
When I look in the folder for the control file (C:\EC-APPS\NFS\BIN) I do not find the msv80.ctl I'm not sure if I can copy/paste it there from the bimmerlabs folder that contains the .bat or if there is a different problem.

Screen shots attached.
It's found the control file,

Are you 100% sure your system is set up correctly? Can you connect to the car using INPA and read out data from the DME or other modules?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 04:28 PM   #15
vaceuf
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i Convertible

I had similar errors when the latency wasn't set to 1 on the Com port driver for the cable.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 12:33 PM   #16
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
"coapikfinit()failed

Anyone have ideas?
If you need help, I can remote in and install the BMW Standard Tools for you. Shoot me a PM if you need help.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 04:58 PM   #17
BeatMW_E90
Enlisted Member
Rep

Now that I checked, INPA is messed up too. I've tried several times uninstalling and reinstalling the standard tools and get different results every time I try to fix my prior screw up. I've followed a few different instructions and tips.
Joe, I'm going to send you a PM. I would appreciate anyone who can help me get it to work.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 07:33 PM   #18
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep

Quote:
Now that I checked, INPA is messed up too. I've tried several times uninstalling and reinstalling the standard tools and get different results every time I try to fix my prior screw up. I've followed a few different instructions and tips.
Joe, I'm going to send you a PM. I would appreciate anyone who can help me get it to work.
PM replied.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2020, 08:59 PM   #19
BeatMW_E90
Enlisted Member
Rep

It's working! Thank you Joe!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 12:53 PM   #20
BeatMW_E90
Enlisted Member
Rep

Any ideas what these codes mean? I'm getting u0100 and u1100 which my searches point to a component losing communication with a computer. Car seems to run fine. Tested disa flaps with INPA and they cycled ok.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 06:57 PM   #21
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Any ideas what these codes mean? I'm getting u0100 and u1100 which my searches point to a component losing communication with a computer. Car seems to run fine. Tested disa flaps with INPA and they cycled ok.
You need a BMW specific code reader. Generic ODB tools will not help.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 08:00 AM   #22
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep

Quote:
Use INPA and see what codes it shows. It will be more specific.
Appreciate 0