E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Instrument Cluster dead - Not a fuse issue - what are common causes?

10-24-2023, 09:25 AM   #1
ayrobotech
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 328xi

Question Instrument Cluster dead - Not a fuse issue - what are common causes?

I was wondering if there is a general component that fails on these E90 instrument clusters? I have a 2008 E90 328xi. Online I read its normally a fuse, but its not a fuse in my case (checked it). I also bought another E90 instrument cluster for 45 bucks of ebay and it works fine, so that rules out the cable too.

I want to fix this E90 instrument cluster since I'm going through a child custody/child support battle in court and need the money. I can't use the new cluster since it needs to be programmed according to DOT even though its just a couple thousand off from what mine has (mine has 99k this cluster is 97k).

So my question is simply: Is there a common component on this E90 instrument cluster that fails? I have a friend who is a hardware tech and we traced power all the way to the voltage regulator and was getting 6.1 volt and 5.9v after the diode. However, the board simply doesn't turn on nor go into test mode (holding the mile reset). Seems like an open circuit somewhere. I resoldered the pins for the connector and that didn't help.

I'm at a loss, and seeking some guidance preferably without sending out my new cluster and CAS for reprogramming

Thank you
David
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 12:38 PM   #2
NZE90
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i

If the mileage on the new cluster is lower than your current mileage, you can just install the 2nd hand one. It will automatically change to the mileage stored in your car (the mileage is stored in several modules)

You can code the module to your car with free software readily available on the internet) called NCS Expert

There are several threads on here about installing 2nd hand clusters. I have done it to my car using a second hand unit. It does NOT need programming, only coding.

Last edited by NZE90; 10-24-2023 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 02:17 PM   #3
ayrobotech
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZE90 View Post
If the mileage on the new cluster is lower than your current mileage, you can just install the 2nd hand one. It will automatically change to the mileage stored in your car (the mileage is stored in several modules)

You can code the module to your car with free software readily available on the internet) called NCS Expert

There are several threads on here about installing 2nd hand clusters. I have done it my car using a second hand unit. It does NOT need programming, only coding.
Wow that is super helpful! Yes the new cluster is 2k miles less than the old one, so I'll have to give that a try! Thank you!
Appreciate 0