E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > No AC Fan - Replaced FSU and Blower Motor

08-20-2018, 09:22 PM   #1
aggierandy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i, sport, MB

No AC Fan - Replaced FSU and Blower Motor

Hi there. I am desperate for help on this one.

I have a 2009 E90 335i with M-Sport about 106k miles. The AC was giving me problems about 3 months ago (fan would not turn on, climate control panel functioned correctly). I figured it was the FSU or the motor so I checked fused to no avail. Then, I disassembled and found the wires in rough shape. I taped them up as best I could and reassembled and things. AC worked OK until about 2 weeks ago.

The same issue popped up so I set aside some time last weekend to replace the FSU. When I got it apart I saw the condition of the wires was bad again so I decided to start there. Following THIS guide, I clipped the wires about 2 inches up, built a new pigtail from a new OEM connector and new terminals. I crimped the new wires in place, hooked up the old FSU and motor, no dice. So I hooked up the new FSU and reinstalled. Nothing. So I went out and got a replacement motor. Nothing. I checked voltage to the FSU and got something like 0.2 or 0.3 V. Definitely not right.

At this point I was at a loss so I took a break. Decided to come back to it and start by checking voltage to the FSU to chassis ground. Immediately ready 12.2 V. Plugged the fan in and it worked. I don't know what changed but we were in business. Until today. I get in the car, no fan.

At this point, even though I had the odd low voltage reading, I figured I had overlooked something and my 10yr old fan motor is probably going out. So I replace it. Nothing.

To summarize, new motor, new FSU, new pigtail.

At this point, I'm at a loss. What's left to replace? Is there a relay somewhere I need to check? Bad IHKA unit? Gremlins?

Its 100F here in Texas and I'm dying. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 11:58 PM   #2
Turbo2Pete
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi, 2015 X3

Are you aware of the blower fan recall on these? (not sure about your model - I've got an '08 335xi that is under recall)

You might be up for a new fan from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 02:31 AM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Recall Documents & Schematic

Attached is a pdf containing all relevant recall documents on Blower Final Stage Resistor, the Connector & wiring harness, 17V-676. This shows procedure to be followed in replacing harness, etc. If you have spent money replacing parts yourself, keep receipts & records, and you may be able to get reimbursement.

Here is the TIS circuit diagram for the blower. Of course you can test the motor for function simply by applying 12V+ and ground to the Red and Brown wires that run from the Final Stage to Motor:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...bution/ufClUrJ

George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf RCRIT-17V676-0612 Blower.pdf (3.14 MB, 231 views)
Appreciate 1
gxe2se37.50
      08-21-2018, 10:52 AM   #4
E90Graphite07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

Mine blew out this past summer; dealer had to replace the harness, which they completed the same morning I dropped off the car. The recall 'fix' is replaced immediately based on a case-by-case basis, and since it was dead hot summer here in TX, and it was just the blower fan not working, but the dash controllers were...they determined both the harness and resistor would be replaced, free of charge.

Join us on Facebook:
E90Post - Houston
Houston BMW DIY Services
Appreciate 0