E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Has anyone contacted BMW regarding 29.2 and lag?

10-26-2008, 06:19 PM   #2531
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWagain View Post
Thank you very much! You are great.

And
The PUMA update that instructs the dealers on what to do refers to a "Clanking from the engine". If a customer complains that there is this rattling or clanking, then the dealer should look at the list of ongoing PUMA cases. On reading this particular PUMA, it gives very very clear instructions on the procedure to remedy -

Could it be called PUMA in non english spoken countries?
As it would be a bit difficult to explain for SA here what I want.

Thx!
It is known through BMW worldwide as a PUMA
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2008, 09:29 PM   #2532
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

My guess is that the early versions of the turbos will be plagued by a recurrent problem with the wastegate actuators. Given the labor difficulty in turbo r&r to set the actuators, it could be wiser in some cases to have the turbos replaced with version 3 or 4.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2008, 10:48 PM   #2533
shaddai
former N54 owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Audi S4 DTM

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
The PUMA update that instructs the dealers on what to do refers to a "Clanking from the engine". If a customer complains that there is this rattling or clanking, then the dealer should look at the list of ongoing PUMA cases. On reading this particular PUMA, it gives very very clear instructions on the procedure to remedy -
Wouldn't having the PUMA number make this easier to locate? Man... I can't wait to shove this in the face of the SA's who kept ignoring the issue telling me (and others) "it's normal"... Fart knockers...
      10-26-2008, 11:26 PM   #2534
iScream
solid @ 153, no, 155mph!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07/'09/'13 335, '16 340ix

Quote:
Not really the same thing - yes, both instances require adjustment of the actuator arm, however Mr.5's remedy was purely visual, and had no vacuum pressure to accurately determine the correct positioning. It is vital that there is the correct pressure in the system to replicate a running engine, and so the arms can be setup accordingly.

From our testing of other 335i's in the workshop at the time, it seems that this is a reasonable explanation as to why some cars perform ok, and others don't, whilst all being on the same software iteration. Remember, not all cars have faulty actuator arms. I drove a late 2006 car with 55k miles on the clock, and it was largely faultless - certainly it didn't have any rattles. However, a March 2007 car I drove had a slightly laggy response and exhibited a little rattle, even though that had done less than 14k miles. Both times, the ECU adaptations had been completely reset to give a level playing field.

After giving the March 2007 car the same remedial fix, it was completely back to it's normal linear self, with no lag, no rattle, and relentless and seamless acceleration. Two cars, totally fixed...
Ok. I have v29.2 and BRAND NEW turbos, and BRAND NEW actuators, and I still have The Lag after the car has been warm for 10 minutes. I also have a slight but apparent clicking sound at 3300 RPM upon deceleration from 4000, which is not apparent in non-Lag cars.

I am based in the USA, and there has been speculation that v31.x does not include a DME update for us. Any truth to that?

Can you give me a concise list of verified facts that, given the situation I described, can help my dealer fix my Lag?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 02:36 AM   #2535
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
The clips are springy but with quite strong force, pushing them quite a long way I managed to make mine bend.
i tried this, i bent the clips (at least the 4 i can see) and they won't even hold the lines anymore. car still has lag.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 02:53 AM   #2536
meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
i tried this, i bent the clips (at least the 4 i can see) and they won't even hold the lines anymore. car still has lag.
You have read above, have you?

1. Do you have software v31.1 or above?
2. Are your wastegates O.K.?

Unrestricted vacuum hoses are only the last point on the list, and even then, v31.1 is still discernibly different than pre-29.2. It's certainly not a cure-all.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 03:12 AM   #2537
BMWagain
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F11 535i 2011

Garage List
2011 535iA  [0.00]
2009 BMW K1300S  [0.00]
2009 335iA Touring  [0.00]
2007 325iT  [0.00]
2007 325iT  [0.00]
2007 325i  [0.00]
2007 325iT  [0.00]
Soon pickuptime.

In three hours time (european time)
I pick up my new bimmer.
I will rapport later if there is any long hesitation when I
stamp on the pedal.
      10-27-2008, 03:50 AM   #2538
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
My guess is that the early versions of the turbos will be plagued by a recurrent problem with the wastegate actuators. Given the labor difficulty in turbo r&r to set the actuators, it could be wiser in some cases to have the turbos replaced with version 3 or 4.
To be honest, as long as the wastegates and actuators especially are replaced with the latest versions, the original specification turbos will be absolutely fine. The problem has always been the wastegates - now that the latest iterations are theoretically problem free, there should be no further issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 03:56 AM   #2539
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScream View Post
Ok. I have v29.2 and BRAND NEW turbos, and BRAND NEW actuators, and I still have The Lag after the car has been warm for 10 minutes. I also have a slight but apparent clicking sound at 3300 RPM upon deceleration from 4000, which is not apparent in non-Lag cars.

I am based in the USA, and there has been speculation that v31.x does not include a DME update for us. Any truth to that?

Can you give me a concise list of verified facts that, given the situation I described, can help my dealer fix my Lag?

I would strongly suggest you have the software updated to V31.1. And you need to check whether your dealer has setup the actuators correctly. Don't just assume that they have, as from my own personal experience, it appears that most cars which have been remedied have been done using incorrectly calibrated machines.

The only verification I can give is the practical and realworld result of driving two cars, one which is my own and one other customer's, and in my view (and in the view of the other techs), V31.1 and accurately calibrated wastegate actuators results in a car with no lag.

I have already written up the process by which we remedied the problem on my car - there is enough information for you to go to your dealer and advise them of the solution.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 07:12 AM   #2540
Manboy
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2020 M135i Misano Blue

Am I the only one that feels the solutions presented lately are to "convenient" and easy (no offense to E92Fan).
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 08:42 AM   #2541
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

I'm still just hung up on the fact that some pretty reliable sources said that V31.x does not have a DME update, at least in the US, for the N54. It is perplexing then that it could have any sort of positive or negative impact on our cars.

Also, the only experiences we've heard from U.S. customers (there were 2 or 3 a few pages back) were that they felt no improvement with V31.x, if I remember correctly.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 09:34 AM   #2542
iScream
solid @ 153, no, 155mph!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07/'09/'13 335, '16 340ix

Quote:
I would strongly suggest you have the software updated to V31.1. And you need to check whether your dealer has setup the actuators correctly. Don't just assume that they have, as from my own personal experience, it appears that most cars which have been remedied have been done using incorrectly calibrated machines.

The only verification I can give is the practical and realworld result of driving two cars, one which is my own and one other customer's, and in my view (and in the view of the other techs), V31.1 and accurately calibrated wastegate actuators results in a car with no lag.

I have already written up the process by which we remedied the problem on my car - there is enough information for you to go to your dealer and advise them of the solution.
So, piecing together my post and your post, you are suggesting that v31.1, which multiple US dealers and BMWNA have claimed contains no DME update, will make a difference. AND that my dealer who was working directly with BMWNA and BMW AG as recently as last week, for two weeks, to replace my actuators and turbos, screwed up?

I truly appreciate your contribution to this thread, and I hope you're right, but I don't want to stand face-to-face with my SA for the umteenth time, and tell him those seemingly implausible facts without some proof. I'm very angry about the problem, but I'm not trying to look like a fool or get confrontational with my reps just because someone online makes yet another suggestion. If you really can say that a 29.2 car with The Lag was fixed this way, and I can provide the PUMA number and perhaps even the name of a contact at BMW who is familiar with the calibration problem, it would give me a lot more credibility at the dealer.

As one of the "original six" of this thread, if MY car (which has had just about everything thrown at it with no resolution for the past 5 months) is fixed by your solution, then it would go a long way toward putting this whole thread to rest.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 10:10 AM   #2543
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
So, piecing together my post and your post, you are suggesting that v31.1, which multiple US dealers and BMWNA have claimed contains no DME update, will make a difference. AND that my dealer who was working directly with BMWNA and BMW AG as recently as last week, for two weeks, to replace my actuators and turbos, screwed up?

I truly appreciate your contribution to this thread, and I hope you're right, but I don't want to stand face-to-face with my SA for the umteenth time, and tell him those seemingly implausible facts without some proof. I'm very angry about the problem, but I'm not trying to look like a fool or get confrontational with my reps just because someone online makes yet another suggestion. If you really can say that a 29.2 car with The Lag was fixed this way, and I can provide the PUMA number and perhaps even the name of a contact at BMW who is familiar with the calibration problem, it would give me a lot more credibility at the dealer.

As one of the "original six" of this thread, if MY car (which has had just about everything thrown at it with no resolution for the past 5 months) is fixed by your solution, then it would go a long way toward putting this whole thread to rest.
Bravo and +1 to all of that.
E92 Fan, I am also one of the "original six"...hell, probably the original two, and am in basically the same boat as iScream, except my dealer won't even try anything to remedy it.

I do have another question for you. You said a few posts back that this procedure "even fixed the exhaust sound a bit" or something to that extent. Well, if this were a true fix, why would it not COMPLETELY revert the exhaust to sounding proper again instead of crappy and loud? That has me leary of the true quality of this as a viable sollution.

Anyway, I have service scheduled this week and am looking to find out more definitive info before then, so I know whether to really push for the update. I only want to bug them (and waste my time) if it is a real fix.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 11:51 AM   #2544
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Based on my own findings, and based on the results obtained with another 335i, replacing and correctly resetting the actuators, and updating the software to V31.1 (which all dealers are instructed to do prior to replacing the actuators in any case) has remedied the instances of turbo lag that had been apparent in my car.

Now I did not say your dealership screwed up the install - maybe they did it right, maybe they didn't. What I have suggested is that you verify with them that the vacuum line machine they use to setup the actuators is calibrated correctly, as my experience with machines here in the UK suggest that the majority of them (at least in the UK) were NOT calibrated correctly. Even the machine at BMW UK was out of calibration, and we had a delay in waiting for a new machine to be shipped from BMW Germany.

Quote:
I truly appreciate your contribution to this thread, and I hope you're right, but I don't want to stand face-to-face with my SA for the umteenth time, and tell him those seemingly implausible facts without some proof....

If you really can say that a 29.2 car with The Lag was fixed this way, and I can provide the PUMA number and perhaps even the name of a contact at BMW who is familiar with the calibration problem, it would give me a lot more credibility at the dealer.

I understand your position regarding your dealer, and I sympathise. With regards to the PUMA number, I will obtain the details tomorrow and PM you. Be aware that as I have already said, this PUMA refers to the "Clanking sound from the engine" and not specifically turbo lag, although obviously the turbo lag is a direct result of the "clanking sound", which has been attributed to faulty wastegate actuators...!

BMWNA, or your dealer, should contact Philip Neal, Regional Technical Director, at BMW UK (+44 1344 426565) who will be able to confirm the vacuum line machine calibration issue.

I wish you the best of luck!

To everyone else..

I have provided the information in my posts so that it might help you US members find some resolution to the problems that you have been facing. I have had numerous problems with my car, mostly engine related, and through a long process of investigation and repair, including having the engine out, those issues have been resolved fully. In no particular order, I have had fuel pump replaced, new ignition coils and a complete set of injectors, new turbos, new actuators and wastegates, new ECU...

I have been as angry as you appear to be, and I took a proactive approach in trying to find a fix, involving people from BMW Germany (who flew over to see me) and BMW UK. We found the fix for all the different problems, and applied those remedies to other cars that had similar issues.

Now whether some of you consider my posts to be implausible facts or not is entirely down to you - I don't find the need to justify any of the posts that I make, as I make them to be helpful and not for any other reason.

I find it amazing that having posted my own findings, which I don't force upon anybody else, that I get a barrage of critical PMs accusing me firstly of working for BMW directly, or as one member suggested, making up a solution so that it would shut everybody up.

You can all take the information how you like, it doesn't really matter. However, I will not be posting any more information up here because I am sick to death of the trolls and haters on this forum that have nothing better to do than to criticise and accuse. For those genuine people who want help, PM me and I will do what I can. Otherwise, keep trolling...
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 11:59 AM   #2545
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep
Drives: White Lightning

Quote:
Based on my own findings, and based on the results obtained with another 335i, replacing and correctly resetting the actuators, and updating the software to V31.1 (which all dealers are instructed to do prior to replacing the actuators in any case) has remedied the instances of turbo lag that had been apparent in my car.

Now I did not say your dealership screwed up the install - maybe they did it right, maybe they didn't. What I have suggested is that you verify with them that the vacuum line machine they use to setup the actuators is calibrated correctly, as my experience with machines here in the UK suggest that the majority of them (at least in the UK) were NOT calibrated correctly. Even the machine at BMW UK was out of calibration, and we had a delay in waiting for a new machine to be shipped from BMW Germany.

I understand your position regarding your dealer, and I sympathise. With regards to the PUMA number, I will obtain the details tomorrow and PM you. Be aware that as I have already said, this PUMA refers to the "Clanking sound from the engine" and not specifically turbo lag, although obviously the turbo lag is a direct result of the "clanking sound", which has been attributed to faulty wastegate actuators...!

BMWNA, or your dealer, should contact Philip Neal, Regional Technical Director, at BMW UK (+44 1344 426565) who will be able to confirm the vacuum line machine calibration issue.

To everyone else..

I have provided the information in my posts so that it might help you US members find some resolution to the problems that you have been facing. I have had numerous problems my car, mostly engine related, and through a long process of investigation and repair, including having the engine out, those issues have been resolved fully. In no particular order, I have had fuel pump replaced, new ignition coils and a complete set of injectors, new turbos, new actuators and wastegates, new ECU...

I have been as angry as you appear to be, and I took a proactive approach in trying to find a fix, involving people from BMW Germany (who flew over to see me) and BMW UK. We found the fix for all the different problems, and applied those remedies to other cars that had similar issues.

Now whether some of you consider my posts to be implausible facts or not is entirely down to you - I don't find the need to justify any of the posts that I make, as I make them to be helpful and not for any other reason.

I find it amazing that having posted my own findings, which I don't force upon anybody else, that I get a barrage of critical PMs accusing me firstly of working for BMW directly, or as one member suggested, making up a solution so that it would shut everybody up.

You can all take the information how you like, it doesn't really matter. However, I will not be posting any more information up here because I am sick to death of the trolls and haters on this forum that have nothing better to do than to criticise and accuse. For those genuine people who want help, PM me and I will do what I can. Otherwise, keep trolling...
E92Fan, thank you for your contributions, and please do not let things like that prevent you from providing helpful information in the future.

If I understand everything correctly, the correct calibration of wastegates plus 31.1 will fix the lag, at least in the UK. Whether this will work in the US is still not verified, but is probably the best shot we have had in a long time. I think the more difficult issue will be the correct calibration of the wastegate actuators than getting the program 31.1 installed. Good luck everyone!
      10-27-2008, 12:00 PM   #2546
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatnova View Post

I do have another question for you. You said a few posts back that this procedure "even fixed the exhaust sound a bit" or something to that extent. Well, if this were a true fix, why would it not COMPLETELY revert the exhaust to sounding proper again instead of crappy and loud? That has me leary of the true quality of this as a viable sollution.

Anyway, I have service scheduled this week and am looking to find out more definitive info before then, so I know whether to really push for the update. I only want to bug them (and waste my time) if it is a real fix.

Thanks!
I have never said that the new software runs the same engine parameters as V28.2 (or pre V29.x) The exhaust sound on my car, and that of one other, is now more refined and less boomy, and whilst we have no empirical data to measure db levels and resonance points, we can only assume that because the wastegates are now sealing correctly and operating 100%, the exhaust noise is being positively affected.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 12:17 PM   #2547
Erregend
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M240i Convertible

In case you were wondering about the "6 Reasons to Get Progman Update" --
http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/attachments/B010406Magnet.pdf

2021 M240i Convertible

Returned: 2008 335i E93, sold 2011 535i M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 02:07 PM   #2548
marell01
Private
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: -09 335i Coupe M-sport

Quote:
I have never said that the new software runs the same engine parameters as V28.2 (or pre V29.x) The exhaust sound on my car, and that of one other, is now more refined and less boomy, and whilst we have no empirical data to measure db levels and resonance points, we can only assume that because the wastegates are now sealing correctly and operating 100%, the exhaust noise is being positively affected.
E92FAN, thank you very much for your informative and well written sum up of your experiences and knowledges. Keep up the good work. Itīs people like you making it worth reading this and other threads...

//Marcus
      10-27-2008, 02:17 PM   #2549
BMWagain
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
2011 535iA  [0.00]
2009 BMW K1300S  [0.00]
2007 325iT  [0.00]
2007 325iT  [0.00]
2007 325i  [0.00]
2007 325iT  [0.00]
Smile 150 miles of pleasure

Here is a small rapport after my first drive with my new 335iA.
The pipes sounds terrific. Louder than the democar a year ago. The step shifting makes me feel like a surgeon with a scalpel. Fast,accurate I lack words. There is about one second delay in M5 and M6 at 1300-1800 rpm before it takes on.
I asked the serviceguy what ECU I had and all he came up with was E89X-08-09-520.

To determind the v. version they must take in the car. + It will take a considerable time to find out. These ECU for 2009 is different build than the ECU:s from 2007 where one could get the info easy from the OBD using a diagnostic gadget,donīt know what they are called but Iīm sure you get it. But the Step camouflages any delay with swift downshift,especially in Sportmode. I must say Iīm 90% happy with the performance. The missing 10 hopefully can be obtained with a future upgrade. The maschine is so quiet I could be fooled,it really pulls strong. It was so long ago I drove the democar I cant remember the feel properly.There is alway some delay at low revs on cars.I just donīt know what to expect. But finally I am very pleased.
      10-27-2008, 05:01 PM   #2550
Tobias1980
Read the manual please, just do it before asking!
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F31 328i, F55 Cooper

Quote:

To everyone else..

I have provided the information in my posts so that it might help you US members find some resolution to the problems that you have been facing. I have had numerous problems with my car, mostly engine related, and through a long process of investigation and repair, including having the engine out, those issues have been resolved fully. In no particular order, I have had fuel pump replaced, new ignition coils and a complete set of injectors, new turbos, new actuators and wastegates, new ECU...

Please ignore idiots, we are a big bunch of people who appreciate you posts
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 05:37 PM   #2551
Bavaria330
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI AW

Quote:

tomorrow and PM you. Be aware that as I have already said, this PUMA refers to the "Clanking sound from the engine" and not specifically turbo lag, although obviously the turbo lag is a direct result of the "clanking sound", which has been attributed to faulty wastegate actuators...!

To everyone else..

E92fan, sorry you had to deal with many idiots, This is not Europe as you know. I know for a fact you are on the right track. This makes complete sense with what a friend in BMW told me: That they were increasing vacumm pressures to addres the problem. thank you for taking the time to write such well inform posts, see you in the UK forum..............
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 07:45 PM   #2552
BMWagain
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
2011 535iA  [0.00]
2009 BMW K1300S  [0.00]
2007 325iT  [0.00]
2007 325iT  [0.00]
2007 325i  [0.00]
2007 325iT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
one of these:

30.0.2 E89X-08-03-540
30.0.1 E89X-08-03-540
30.0 E89X-08-03-530
29.2 E89X-08-03-530

Im guessing you have the bolded.

Do you feel poor throttle response in the low revs?

What might E89X-08-09-520 stand for? Car is manufactured in september 30 2008.

Thx alot.