E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Custom 3D printed cellphone mount

View Poll Results: Would you use a 3D printed custom fit phone mount?
Yes! 5 71.43%
I like it but I wouldn't 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

01-06-2015, 06:30 PM   #1
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe 2009

Lightbulb Custom 3D printed cellphone mount

**For the record the poll was supposed to have a 3rd question: "I don't like it". Is there no way to edit the poll?**

Hey guys, just picked up an e92 this summer and I love the thing. I think it's a very beautiful car and such a nice change from the civic I've had since 2003.

Anyway to the point, I decided to design my own cell phone mount because I couldn't find anything on the market that wasn't ugly and/or incredibly expensive. I found some other guy's mount design on the net and it was ok but after spending some time and going through 8+ revisions and testing, I'm really happy with the look and function of the one that I designed.

If you want to download the design yourself and print it out, I've posted it online here http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:623290

There are a few edits I still plan to make.

Granted the finish of this thing isn't as nice as factory made ones, because it's 3D printed. But I still like it better for a couple reasons. First, the car side of the mount is low profile and design to fit my car and no other. Second, likewise the phone side is designed to fit one phone, so it's not clunky like universal adapters. Also it fits snug. I can use the touch screen without it being all flimsy.

I've seen some vent mounts before and I never liked them. A lot of them clip on to the vent louvers, this doesn't sit well with me. This design however just clips to the 'pillar' between the two center vents. It clips to it from the inside. I think there's very little risk of any kind of damage or scratching with it designed like this.

Take a look at let me know what you think. It occurred to me that maybe people would actually want one of these, and if there was some demand I could be convinced to print some out in bulk, for a fair price, with the phone mount sized to your phone's dimensions. I added a poll so answer one was or the other.

Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by ssshake; 01-07-2015 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: Is there no way to edit the poll? It's missing a question.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 07:01 PM   #2
slimxb8
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I'd love one for a note 4 in landscape!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 04:43 PM   #3
blaster3500
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

Depending on price I would be in for one!
      01-07-2015, 07:01 PM   #4
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

After using it for a few days I really dig having my phone mounted like that, especially with a giant screen for nav. I bet a note 4 would be nice like that. I had a window mount before for my other phone, didn't like it. This really makes me feel better about not getting nav

As far as price it really depends on how much interest there might be. I don't see a problem doing just one or two, but if I had some more interest that would make it easier for me as far as time and effort goes.

I wouldn't imagine anything pricey. I mean, it's home made so I get that. I'm also really pissed off that cell phone mounts are outrageously over priced and usually look like shit. Mine looks like shit because it's printed, but I think the design is simple and clean.

I've seen them anywhere from $30 to $80. Hell even one I saw on kickstarter was going for $30, which is crazy to me that so many people ($200,000 raised) would put good money down on a pitch and wait scenario.

If I got like $10 or $15, considering shipping cost, cost of materials and cost of my time. I think I'd be hovering around minimum wage at that point.

So anyway if I get some interest let me take some time to work on some tweaks, post some updates and we'll see whats up. I have no idea what its like to ship stuff like this out, cost wise either.

For the record it takes about 40 minutes to print the vent clip. It takes about 1-2 hours to print the phone holder depending on size.

Last edited by ssshake; 01-07-2015 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: updated print time. I was wrong
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 07:42 PM   #5
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Neat idea but what if you need to access the hazard lights, door lock button, or the DTC button?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 08:25 PM   #6
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Ya I should have posted a photo of it installed and bare in the first place. here it is. The buttons are all accessible all you have to do is lift the phone out of the way. The temp dial looks obfuscated but it's completely usable. It's not rubbing against the mount at all.

I went outside to take this pic to show you and I noticed something after looking around a bit. In the photo, right above the hazard button, if you consider the triangle as an arrow pointing up, directly above it between the black faceplate and the wood trim, there like a slot there. I'm kind of curious what it is actually because it's not just a random gap, it's a slot that isn't the full width of the black fast plate.

I'm working on a test print to see if I can just shim a flat piece in there, with the phone mount attached, sitting above that point. If this works then it will be out of the way and actually look more proper.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 09:43 PM   #7
Jason954x
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i xDrive

I've been using the Kenu airframe in my E90 and it is the best phone holder I've used. I've received lots of compliments on it and some people thought it came with the car. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D90...KSL&ref=plSrch
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 09:53 PM   #8
Former USMC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is Crimson Red

My solution

Greetings,

Here's what I created...scroll down to see aluminum holder for iPhone.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660449
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 09:58 PM   #9
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Nice, do you have a photo posted somewhere I can see?

I still don't like how it's a louver mount and phone generic. But the price is decent.

There's a few other ideas I've been toying with. Here's a cup holder mount, but the more I think about it the less I like it: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=737161

I like leather wrapped solutions like this one(but still too bulky for my liking): http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932291

I've considered and like the idea of this one. http://i43.tinypic.com/2irtb9w.jpg I would like to do a bit more research to see how easy it is to do this without risk of screwing with the stock fit of things. I could see myself with a mount like this but the phone up and above the vents.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 08:50 AM   #10
SpeeDemoN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

An iPad mini mount in that location would be very interesting.
Appreciate 0