E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > 2011 E92 N55 High Pitched Noise coming from tranny while driving low rpm

11-14-2017, 10:26 AM   #1
anthoj
Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i AW

Garage List
2011 E92 N55 High Pitched Noise coming from tranny while driving low rpm

Hi,

I am having a bit of an issue with my 2011 335i E92 with DCT transmission (Euro spec) and was wondering if anyone has expereinced this issue before.

2 days ago my car went on limp mode due to ignition coil failure on cylinder 5. This resulted in power loss ans engine imbalance and vibration/shakes. I took it into a nearby dealership and they diagnosed and replaced the broken coil. The SA also mentioned that there's a part recall on my car, used the word "coupling." After I looked it up tonight, I'm thinking he meant the CV Joint recall on 2011-2012 135i and 335i. This part was replaced.

When I picked up my car today it started fine, no more vibrations, everything seemed normal, but the moment my speed goes above 20 kph (~12 mph), I hear this high pitched noise coming from under my gearshift lever. To me it sounds just like the electrical whirring of a poorly-made small electronics charger. I went as fast as 150 kph (~93 mph) and the noise was there. It doesn't get louder with speed nor is the sound consistent. It just sounds like unstable electrical whirring (see video).

The only way to eliminate some or most of the sound is to keep my RPM high using manual mode or to activate Sport Mode button as well as D/S on the gearshift lever.

Anyone know what the problem might be? The sound is driving me nuts since it's quite loud and high pitched. I can hear it even when I try to mask it with music.

I'm bringing the car back to the dealership first thing in the morning but would like some input first from you all if possible.

EDIT: I've just tried to listen to the youtube video on my phone and realize it may be difficult to hear the noise I mean. It's very subtle in the video but you can definitely hear it.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2017, 10:03 PM   #2
kankeano
Registered
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

solved? been hearing something similar to this in my cabin for a while.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 01:46 PM   #3
anthoj
Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kankeano View Post
solved? been hearing something similar to this in my cabin for a while.
Yeah, solved itself. Took it into the shop, they lifted the car and "drove" it in the air trying to replicate the sound. All the ABS/DSC systems went haywire with errors obviously. After that, drove it out of the shop with no more sound, just the regular noise it makes when it shifts. Maybe it's just the new rubber CV joint breaking in. Hope that helps.

Are you on a DCT tranny as well?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 05:40 PM   #4
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
Made a thread almost 6 years ago. not sure if this was solved. I just fought sound with sound. Get a loud exhaust.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...itch+frequency
      01-05-2018, 11:40 AM   #5
anthoj
Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashimarho View Post
Made a thread almost 6 years ago. not sure if this was solved. I just fought sound with sound. Get a loud exhaust.

Haha yea that would do it... But my problem was coming from the DCT, but it's all gone now...
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 09:21 PM   #6
kankeano
Registered
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashimarho View Post

this !

@anthoj bro can you explain the below? the offical shop won't get it as they don't see n55 on regular basis in turkey

"All the ABS/DSC systems went haywire with errors obviously"

Any receipt from the shop showing the labour details? People inhere act like a foreigner to my vehicle
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 09:54 PM   #7
anthoj
Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kankeano View Post

this !

@anthoj bro can you explain the below? the offical shop won't get it as they don't see n55 on regular basis in turkey

"All the ABS/DSC systems went haywire with errors obviously"

Any receipt from the shop showing the labour details? People inhere act like a foreigner to my vehicle
Yeah N55s are rather rare here too in Indonesia. Most cars are 20i, 28i, or 30i tops, so I understand your woes.

No, for some reason for any warranty related work here, they don't give you any kind of receipt. On top of that, they basically did nothing in this case - they had someone stay inside the driver seat, lifted the car, and just put it in gear and depress the gas pedal, spinning the rear wheels in midair. Photo attached. They told me they couldn't hear anything. I then asked for the supervisor to come with me on a ride around the block but when we did that somehow the noise was gone. Of course right after they lowered the car I had ABS/DSC errors since the rear wheels were spun without the fronts - went away after driving slowly for a few seconds.

Also note that from day 1 of ownership the DCT does make noises during normal operation. Two distinct sounds that I hear are what can only be described as a plastic box inside another plastic box being shaken, and the other is the low-noise high-pitched chirp. The noises are mostly heard after a gearshift or during gearshift. After the CV joint replacement, this high-pitched chirp or whatever was constantly there after certain speeds (refer to my first post video starting around 00:17), which was really annoying. It disappeared after being "driven in air." I hope my explanation is clear enough for you.

Appreciate 0