E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Help: Right tweeter alternator whine after upgrade

10-27-2014, 10:42 PM   #45
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpdRcer43
I was just about to unplug the tweeter when I decided to buy an impromptu amp from Best Buy so I could know once and for all if the Solid 2 was good or bad. Sure enough, the new Alpine MRV-F300 eliminated the noise.

I've written Focal and the Woofer Etc to ask from help and in my own words, they both said, "go to hell". It's six months past warranty because it's taken me that long to troubleshoot so they won't help.

Next step is selling the Solid 2. I wanted my system to be all Focal but the peace and quiet will be worth the system not matching. I will admit I can still hear a faint alternator rev but I think it's normal sound from the engine bay--it's quiet enough that I can't really tell where it's coming from.
I dont wanna be a prick but didnt many of us say check the amp a long time ago?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 12:42 PM   #46
SpdRcer43
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
I dont wanna be a prick but didnt many of us say check the amp a long time ago?
Yes, it was suggested. It was also suggested that it was highly unlikely to be the amp. And for the record, I took it to Car Toys to get tested and they said it was fine.

I'm now in the midst of trying to get rid of the bad amp. I bought another Solid 2 with the intent of sending the old one back with new serial and box since it is out of warranty. But karma got the best of the situation and I mixed-up the power and grounds and blew the amp. Now I have two bad Solid 2s. F*ck my life.

Audio sounds great though. And I can drive in peace with the radio off-- so much better.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 01:37 PM   #47
Wongway
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongway View Post
based on that statement there, I kinda figure your amp is bad. (or badly grounded)

You can always disconnect the MS8 to test for yourself, but my money is on the amp.

edit:
This is a review I saw about Focal amps as of last year...

Not sure if your amp is one of those affected, but it's definitely worth swapping out to check.
We didn't get past the first page and I figured it was the amp. Much as people aren't a fan of the MS-8, nothing you described would have pointed the finger towards the MS-8. Always the amp. Just skimming through, I don't recall many people saying it was unlikely the amp. (Or how the amp was wired...)

Sorry if it sounds like an "I told you so" thing, but from the time it was posted till, now, you could have saved yourself months of headache by simply swapping out a new amp like you ended up doing, heh.

I even posted that Focal amps are very suspect due to their internal quality (or lack of) the last couple years.

Anyways, again, apologies if it sounds like I'm getting on your case, but I look at it this way:
You came here for advice. People here (don't even include me, I'm a jerk sometimes) are by and large knowledgeable, nice and helpful.

Take their advice if you come here for it. Otherwise, why bother even posting/asking?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 07:14 PM   #48
SpdRcer43
United_States
Rep

Long time

Its been 9 years so I thought I'd post an update. Before my neighbors totaled my car a few years ago, I replaced the MS8 at one point and also the "bad" amp. Nothing worked for the whine--even updated gauges on power and ground, still nothing.

Looking for a new Bimmer now. Looking at ~2015 335, 325, 428, even X1/X3 Will likely keep it stock with H/K, other than maybe adding a small self enclosed sub. Wish me luck. Best to all!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 03:37 AM   #49
Captain Buumer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325D

Next time just use speaker level inputs into amp.

This normally gets rid of any interference and you don't have to waste resources/time.

This way AMP will ignore lower energy noise.

More sensitive amps pick up more noise and OEM HU is sort of noisy.

While programmed HU output to RCA I connected output from HU unit to 3.5mm headphones (under seats connection) and could hear different voltages switching and the interesting poweroff sounds when car was going to sleep.

Then it was clear, RCA is just a mess.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 12:16 PM   #50
SpdRcer43
United_States
Rep

Neighbors wrecked the car a few years back so problem solved I guess. I have 2015 428i GC w/ HK system now. Sounds great. I have no complaints but may add an enclosed sub/amp later because I already own it and it'll be easy to install.
Appreciate 0