E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2007 AT 335i Stalled in "Park" after light blip. Drives OK. Help!

11-26-2019, 05:20 AM   #1
Wadger
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

2007 AT 335i Stalled in "Park" after light blip. Drives OK. Help!

Good Evening/Morning All,

Car is a 2007 E93 335i AT. 69k

Engine Service History in past 5K:
Walnut Blast
Valve Cover Gasket
Spark Plugs
Oil+ Filter
Coolant
Turbo Solenoids

In past 20k (4 years):
Injectors
HPFP
1x Vanos

I have recently been experiencing a slight bog at idle when blipping the throttle very lightly, for the last month or so. It seems to be quite intermittent with no notable pattern in the change of severity. Some drives the idles will drop, other times they wont.

However this morning when arriving at work (10-15 miles), I accidently blipped the throttle after parking (Up to about 650-700rpm max) and it just bogged down and died after letting off. No codes or EM lights present.

The car immediately started fine afterwards, however upon further blips, it would stumble down to around 400 at worst before picking back up to normal idle.

I have done some research through various forums and most cases are experiencing higher/bigger fluctuations at idle. But most mention vacuum hoses, HPFP etc
One user posted similar as a cracked valve cover being the issue, however on searches the VC threads do not mention this sort of problem.

I changed the plugs a few weeks ago and didn't notice anything with the valve cover, however I will inspect it this weekend.

Just looking for some advice on what the possible culprits could be and what I should be looking for when I take the engine cover off.

Another scenario I kept running through my head is the fact it is an automatic. I thought that maybe as I throttle, this engages the clutch (as it is the gearbox that's in neutral??) and that because it was such a small blip the extra resistance/load from the clutch components bogged it down, as this is not normal operating conditions.
This is my first auto and I am not going to pretend I know anything about these transmissions as I have always owned a simple manual, pedal in disengaged, pedal out engaged

Any advice or comments would be very much appreciated!

Thanks

Ryan
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 11:40 AM   #2
Wadger
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

https://youtu.be/1W7qYaZuKsg
I have added a video in the link above.

It doesn't do it on cold start however once warmed slightly driving around the block it started again.
Appreciate 0