E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New Vanos Recall (23V-707)

12-10-2023, 10:51 PM   #67
Mike K
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 328i RWD

Garage List
I’m in the same situation as you Jimmy but stateside. We’ll just have to see how things play out to those of us that experienced Vanos bolt failures and repaired them ourselves except for pulling the oil pan.
Appreciate 3
4 Doors1169.00
mct128i74.50
      12-11-2023, 08:34 AM   #68
mct128i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i, 2019 X3, 2022 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_F10 View Post
I own a 2010 F10 528i with N52 from Australia and I have received the recall for the VANOS bolts.

Unfortunately, 4x bolts already failed 2 years ago so I went ahead and replaced all 8 of them myself with the updated part.

I've still booked the recall in with BMW but have not yet disclosed to them that they have already been replaced as they failed previously.

While I am not too concerned about being reimbursed for the bolts and VCG (although it would be nice), I have always been concerned about the 4x missing bolt heads that were never retrieved from the motor. Fortunately, the engine has lasted up until this point however is it worth having a discussion with the technician regarding the retrieval of the bolt heads?

I assume they will not want to go through this process, although I do have photos of the broken bolts.

Do you think once I disclose they've already been replaced, they won't want to take on the job at all?
Same here - I was missing two bolt heads when I replaced all 8 with the revised design. It's been almost a year and 10k miles with no obvious problems due to the two bolt heads that were MIA. Unfortunately they didn't flush out with the draining oil during a recent oil change. I did examine the oil filter and didn't see any significant metallic debris - not worried that the bolt heads could be ingested by the oil pump but they could interfere with the oil pump drive chain and gear although I Imagine this would result in a catastrophic failure.

Do let us know what your dealer says though...
Appreciate 2
      12-17-2023, 09:41 PM   #69
Jimmy_F10
Rep
Drives: '10 BMW F10 528i

Bit of an update for my situation (2010 BMW 528i, Australia region).

I booked in the recall for Wednesday 13th Dec (last week) and dropped it off that morning. They said they require the car for 2 days. I asked to speak with a technician before I left to see if I could explain that the bolts had already broken in 2021.

I explained to the young technician that 4 bolts had broken and I had replaced them with the updated part in both VANOS units, however had not retrieved the bolt heads. They said there was nothing they could do in regards to this as they weren't able to witness them broken.

I was waiting for my lift when the same guy came to see me to explain he had talked to his Master Technician and that they were double checking with BMW Technical to see if there was any other work required now that they know the previously broke. They said they would get back to me.

I got a call the next day (Thursday) to say that BMW Technical had advised the VANOS adjuster units would have to be replaced as well. I'm not sure if they were going to do this if I hadn't had mentioned anything, or whether it was still part of the recall procedure.

No mention of the bolt head retrieval though (and I forgot to ask when they called me), so I emailed them however received no response. I then called to see if I could confirm whether BMW Technical had advised anything regarding the bolt head retrieval. They said they would get back to me but they didn't.

It's now Monday and I received a text to say that the car is ready to be picked up so I went in to pick it up. They gave me the paperwork which had all part numbers relating to the VANOS adjuster replacements and associated gaskets but no mention of the bolt head retrieval, so looks like they've been dancing around this. I wasn't demanding it to be done, I just wanted to get their thoughts on it.

Anyway, I get into my car ready to leave and notice the check engine light is on and it is idling rough. It's a joke that they didn't notice this before handing it over to me.

So I went back inside to explain this isn't how I dropped it off and they said I'll have to leave it with them for a couple more days to check what's wrong as they don't have time now to look at it. They said there will be a diagnostic fee if it's not related to the recall, but it definitely has to be. My guess is a coil pack not plugged in properly or a vacuum leak.

When I pick it up again I'll see if I can get any further information regarding the bolt head retrieval, but now that the work is done they will want nothing else to do with the car.

Anyone else booked in to have theirs done yet?
Appreciate 4
mct128i74.50
lordnikon367.00
Mike K322.00
      12-18-2023, 07:33 AM   #70
lordnikon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Break My Wallet

Garage List
Shoddy work from the dealer. How surprising (not).
Appreciate 2
Mike K322.00
      12-18-2023, 09:19 AM   #71
StradaRedlands
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
This is ridiculous Jimmy_F10, I can't believe they are so cavalier about the service. Really sorry to read they are moving ahead so poorly. I presume BMW AU or even BMW AG doesn't have a plan in place for this specific situation. But they should be able to come up with one and implement it, even if is a decision to do nothing as it wasn't observed. Sheesh...
Appreciate 2
Mike K322.00
      12-18-2023, 10:39 PM   #72
Bmw1939
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 328i, 2008 BMW X3

Called my dealer today. They said they don't have a remedy yet and are waiting on the remedy from BMW. What the hell is that about?!
Appreciate 3
Mike K322.00
zhent46.50
      12-18-2023, 10:53 PM   #73
Mike K
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_F10 View Post
Bit of an update for my situation (2010 BMW 528i, Australia region).

I booked in the recall for Wednesday 13th Dec (last week) and dropped it off that morning. They said they require the car for 2 days. I asked to speak with a technician before I left to see if I could explain that the bolts had already broken in 2021.

I explained to the young technician that 4 bolts had broken and I had replaced them with the updated part in both VANOS units, however had not retrieved the bolt heads. They said there was nothing they could do in regards to this as they weren't able to witness them broken.

I was waiting for my lift when the same guy came to see me to explain he had talked to his Master Technician and that they were double checking with BMW Technical to see if there was any other work required now that they know the previously broke. They said they would get back to me.

I got a call the next day (Thursday) to say that BMW Technical had advised the VANOS adjuster units would have to be replaced as well. I'm not sure if they were going to do this if I hadn't had mentioned anything, or whether it was still part of the recall procedure.

No mention of the bolt head retrieval though (and I forgot to ask when they called me), so I emailed them however received no response. I then called to see if I could confirm whether BMW Technical had advised anything regarding the bolt head retrieval. They said they would get back to me but they didn't.

It's now Monday and I received a text to say that the car is ready to be picked up so I went in to pick it up. They gave me the paperwork which had all part numbers relating to the VANOS adjuster replacements and associated gaskets but no mention of the bolt head retrieval, so looks like they've been dancing around this. I wasn't demanding it to be done, I just wanted to get their thoughts on it.

Anyway, I get into my car ready to leave and notice the check engine light is on and it is idling rough. It's a joke that they didn't notice this before handing it over to me.

So I went back inside to explain this isn't how I dropped it off and they said I'll have to leave it with them for a couple more days to check what's wrong as they don't have time now to look at it. They said there will be a diagnostic fee if it's not related to the recall, but it definitely has to be. My guess is a coil pack not plugged in properly or a vacuum leak.

When I pick it up again I'll see if I can get any further information regarding the bolt head retrieval, but now that the work is done they will want nothing else to do with the car.

Anyone else booked in to have theirs done yet?
Crazy! This sad tale makes me extremely nervous because after I replaced my faulty bolts a few years back, my e91 has been running great. Last thing we need is a mishandled recall screwing up our cars! But then an open recall is bad news too.

I’m awaiting a stateside success story from someone who previously replaced the bad bolts as many of us have already done. And at great expense and headaches! WTF?
Appreciate 3
      12-19-2023, 01:37 PM   #74
charlesantoine
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xDrive 2011

Garage List
Valve cover change

Hi everyone,

I booked my recall appointment for January. Since the recall requires to open the top of the engine, will they change my leaky valve cover gasket when openinng the engine?

If they break a hose or a bolt? Would they replace it on the recall?

Thanks,
C-A
Appreciate 2
      12-19-2023, 01:44 PM   #75
lordnikon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Break My Wallet

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesantoine View Post
Hi everyone,

I booked my recall appointment for January. Since the recall requires to open the top of the engine, will they change my leaky valve cover gasket when openinng the engine?

Thanks,
C-A
I received a letter from BMW Canada informing me of the VANOS recall however they said a remedy is not available right now and they'll send a follow up letter when they're ready to fix it. I mean wtf?
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2023, 05:01 PM   #76
Jimmy_F10
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StradaRedlands View Post
This is ridiculous Jimmy_F10, I can't believe they are so cavalier about the service. Really sorry to read they are moving ahead so poorly. I presume BMW AU or even BMW AG doesn't have a plan in place for this specific situation. But they should be able to come up with one and implement it, even if is a decision to do nothing as it wasn't observed. Sheesh...
Exactly, I haven't demanded anything I have just politely asked for some insight and explanations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw1939 View Post
Called my dealer today. They said they don't have a remedy yet and are waiting on the remedy from BMW. What the hell is that about?!
Perhaps this is a good thing, instead of them having no idea about what's going on in my region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
Crazy! This sad tale makes me extremely nervous because after I replaced my faulty bolts a few years back, my e91 has been running great. Last thing we need is a mishandled recall screwing up our cars! But then an open recall is bad news too.

I’m awaiting a stateside success story from someone who previously replaced the bad bolts as many of us have already done. And at great expense and headaches! WTF?
Yeah to be honest mine has been running nice since I replaced the bolts too. I was hesitant to get the recall done but thought it couldn't hurt.

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks,
C-A
Yeah they should definitely replace that valve cover gasket, along with the servotronic motor gasket and anything else they break. I have the parts list of what they replaced on mine during the recall (even though the car is still with them) and they have done the gaskets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordnikon View Post
I received a letter from BMW Canada informing me of the VANOS recall however they said a remedy is not available right now and they'll send a follow up letter when they're ready to fix it. I mean wtf?
As I said a bit further above, perhaps this is a good thing and they're sorting out all avenues before they have cars coming in.
Appreciate 2
      12-20-2023, 05:53 PM   #77
OG Style
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328XI

I live about 45 minutes away from a BMW dealership. I wonder of the will cover a tow to get it there. My car still runs.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 08:35 PM   #78
CptnSuave
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 528i

I dealt with all of the vanos bolts shearing off on the exhaust side just a few months ago which caused the engine to not run at all. The whole situation turned into a major headache for me.

I contacted dealerships and BMW North America seeing if they would possibly still cover it under the "extended warranty" campaign that they had for the N52 and in the end found out it wasn't covered.

Although, I made the mistake of calling a dealership first and spoke to them about the issue, asking if my car would be covered under the warranty. After providing them with the VIN they told me to bring it in. I told them I would have to tow it in and asked if the tow cost would be covered by the warranty, they told me no, but I didn't mind covering the cost of a tow if the cost of replacing the bolts was covered by BMW. Once my car got there I spoke with an advisor only to find out the car was not covered, even though that's what the employee on the phone led me to believe. They covered the tow back to my house with no compensation for my initial tow which sucked lol. They offered to use the cost of the initial tow as credit towards the repair if I would do it at their dealership, which I thought was inappropriate since they had me tow the car to their dealership under false pretenses and then are trying to sell me on the service, but I guess that's the dealership for ya.

I ended up going to a few junkyards and finding the correct vanos exhaust gear (since that side had all the bolts shear off) which cost me $50 and bought the updated bolts for a few dollars from a BMW dealer. I also had to buy the timing tool which was another $120. I doubt they would reimburse me for the tool or the parts I bought from the junkyard.

My question is, since I have replaced the bolts with the updated ones and there are still fragments of the bolts in my oil pan, if they would take off the oil pan to retrieve the broken fragments free of charge even with the updated bolts already having been installed. Another user mentioned that they claim that it wouldn't be covered since they didn't "witness" the bolts being broken off, however if they took off the oil pan they would see the broken pieces. Also in my situation the car was initially diagnosed with this issue by a dealer from the previous owner (I bought the car with this issue) and they actually removed the valve cover and saw the missing bolts which is probably stated on the R.O they made. My thinking is that now since this will be covered by BMW under the recall, every dealership might respond differently, since it's seemingly in their best interest to take advantage of this covered repair.

Until we receive an update letter for this recall, I doubt any BMW dealer can give us any more information than what was already provided to us in this initial letter we received.

Last edited by CptnSuave; 12-21-2023 at 08:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2023, 09:05 PM   #79
Bmw1939
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 328i, 2008 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnSuave View Post
I dealt with all of the vanos bolts shearing off on the exhaust side just a few months ago which caused the engine to not run at all. The whole situation turned into a major headache for me.

I contacted dealerships and BMW North America seeing if they would possibly still cover it under the "extended warranty" campaign that they had for the N52 and in the end found out it wasn't covered.

Although, I made the mistake of calling a dealership first and spoke to them about the issue, asking if my car would be covered under the warranty. After providing them with the VIN they told me to bring it in. I told them I would have to tow it in and asked if the tow cost would be covered by the warranty, they told me no, but I didn't mind covering the cost of a tow if the cost of replacing the bolts was covered by BMW. Once my car got there I spoke with an advisor only to find out the car was not covered, even though that's what the employee on the phone led me to believe. They covered the tow back to my house with no compensation for my initial tow which sucked lol. They offered to use the cost of the initial tow as credit towards the repair if I would do it at their dealership, which I thought was inappropriate since they had me tow the car to their dealership under false pretenses and then are trying to sell me on the service, but I guess that's the dealership for ya.

I ended up going to a few junkyards and finding the correct vanos exhaust gear (since that side had all the bolts shear off) which cost me $50 and bought the updated bolts for a few dollars from a BMW dealer. I also had to buy the timing tool which was another $120. I doubt they would reimburse me for the tool or the parts I bought from the junkyard.

My question is, since I have replaced the bolts with the updated ones and there are still fragments of the bolts in my oil pan, if they would take off the oil pan to retrieve the broken fragments free of charge even with the updated bolts already having been installed. Another user mentioned that they claim that it wouldn't be covered since they didn't "witness" the bolts being broken off, however if they took off the oil pan they would see the broken pieces. Also in my situation the car was initially diagnosed with this issue by a dealer from the previous owner (I bought the car with this issue) and they actually removed the valve cover and saw the missing bolts which is probably stated on the R.O they made. My thinking is that now since this will be covered by BMW under the recall, every dealership might respond differently, since it's seemingly in their best interest to take advantage of this covered repair.

Until we receive an update letter for this recall, I doubt any BMW dealer can give us any more information than what was already provided to us in this initial letter we received.
Nobody has any clue what they will do.
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2023, 09:59 PM   #80
Mike K
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yeah we’re all swinging in the breeze here on this. I noticed in my recall notice that arrived yesterday, there is an NHTSA phone number to call if you have issues regarding this recall. Since as with so many others, I did the Vanos bolts replacement myself at expense and trouble, I may start with NHTSA first. I filed a complaint with them a few years back about this issue and I have a existing complaint number.

I addition to a well watched youtube I had made, I also had a witness with me while I made another video of the faulty bolts as I discovered them. Maybe that might be leverage with BMW to yank my pan to remove the faulty bolt remnants. I can dream can’t I?
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2023, 04:55 PM   #81
Jimmy_F10
Rep

CptnSuave - You definitely have an interesting situation. Good luck, keen to know your outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
Yeah we’re all swinging in the breeze here on this. I noticed in my recall notice that arrived yesterday, there is an NHTSA phone number to call if you have issues regarding this recall. Since as with so many others, I did the Vanos bolts replacement myself at expense and trouble, I may start with NHTSA first. I filed a complaint with them a few years back about this issue and I have a existing complaint number.

I addition to a well watched youtube I had made, I also had a witness with me while I made another video of the faulty bolts as I discovered them. Maybe that might be leverage with BMW to yank my pan to remove the faulty bolt remnants. I can dream can’t I?
I hope they agree to remove your pan! Now that I finally have my car back I think I'll be sending BMW an email explaining my experience and try to get their thoughts on the bolt heads still in my pan since no one at the dealership wanted to address this for me. I don't expect them to respond to me though.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 09:16 PM   #82
StradaRedlands
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Got my letter in today's mail... currently unresolvable, but they will let me know at their earliest convenience!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 02:06 AM   #83
sowbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: silver bmw 335i

I think I’ll just do the work myself and save the stress of going to the dealer. Last thing needed is for them to incorrectly install a part or to not install it at all.
Appreciate 1
Mike K322.00
      12-29-2023, 09:20 AM   #84
Mike K
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I hear you sowbmw. But there will still be an open recall...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 11:26 AM   #85
charlesantoine
Registered
Rep

Garage List
-FOLLOW UP-
Dropped my car at the dealership for the recall this morning, the advisor told me they will replace anything that they break or that breaks while removing the valve cover. The only thing they won't replace is the valve cover itself, but she will keep me updated if it's cracked. If the valve cover is cracked, she said they would only charge the piece, not the time.
Appreciate 2
      01-08-2024, 12:15 PM   #86
4 Doors
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi (E90)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
-FOLLOW UP-
Dropped my car at the dealership for the recall this morning, the advisor told me they will replace anything that they break or that breaks while removing the valve cover. The only thing they won't replace is the valve cover itself, but she will keep me updated if it's cracked. If the valve cover is cracked, she said they would only charge the piece, not the time.
What about oil pan gasket and checking oil pan if the bolts are sheared?

Current: 2011 E91 328i M-Sport Touring
Past: 2008 E90 335xi
1996 E36 328i Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 03:54 PM   #87
Mike K
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
-FOLLOW UP-
This is my feeling after previously replacing the VC for my broken and faulty Vanos bolts: Removing the VC for repairs and then replacing the old plastic VC again after these repairs is asking for trouble. A fool's errand IMHO. Used plastic VCs exhibit hairline cracks and other problematic crankcase ventilation issues because of the high temps these engines operate at.

All BMW is doing here is covering their rear ends, but creating bigger problems for owners, and sooner rather than later.

Last edited by Mike K; 01-08-2024 at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2024, 06:11 PM   #88
charlesantoine
Registered
Rep

Garage List
-LAST UPDATE-

Got my car back at the end of the day. Yes they put a new valve cover gasket! Since the bolts of the vanos were not broken, they didn’t open the oil pan. Car runs great and they seem to have done a clean job (from what I saw). They cleaned the car after too.
Appreciate 4
s1 s211.00
4 Doors1169.00
zhent46.50