E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Wakaa head unit for e90

10-30-2021, 03:48 PM   #1
Jerez418
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Wakaa head unit for e90

Has anyone tried the Wakaa head unit?
I'm wanting to install a screen unit for my 2007 e90, but most of the ones I've seen run on Android system and i don't know but to me that's kind of lame. It's like a huge tablet and I don't want that. With this Wakaa unit though, you get that more factory look and it comes with CarPlay, here's the link

https://www.wakaa.us/products/apple-...90-e91-e92-e93

I'm wondering if anyone has installed this system or anything similar and if you would recommend it or not??
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 12:23 PM   #2
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

Took me a while but then I realised what it is.... it's just an MMI box but with a built-in screen. So you are not getting any other features apart from Apple CarPlay / Android Auto (just like an MMI box).
Looks decent enough, will save you finding somewhere to locate a box and you get a touchscreen out of it and not a lot more than a box

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 01:36 PM   #3
SOOK_BMW
Rep
Drives: G22 M440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerez418 View Post
I'm wanting to install a screen unit for my 2007 e90, but most of the ones I've seen run on Android system and i don't know but to me that's kind of lame. It's like a huge tablet and I don't want that. With this Wakaa unit though, you get that more factory look and it comes with CarPlay, here's the link

I'm wondering if anyone has installed this system or anything similar and if you would recommend it or not??
Thank you!
I recently installed the EONON GA9465B and love it. I get what you're saying, that you don't want the tablet feel but you get so much more functionality. The radio, everything is integrated and you will be able to get rid of that old radio tuner - giving the car a modern look. You can install whatever app you desire through Google Play store. Apple CarPlay is nice and all but it is extremely limited. With a unit like the EONON, you can do anything you wish.

Also, it does have both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capability on top of getting any other app you want.

A pic from their site:

Last edited by SOOK_BMW; 11-04-2021 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 07:08 PM   #4
Jerez418
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOOK_BMW View Post
Quote:

Thank you!
I recently installed the EONON GA9465B and love it. I get what you're saying, that you don't want the tablet feel but you get so much more functionality. The radio, everything is integrated and you will be able to get rid of that old radio tuner - giving the car a modern look. You can install whatever app you desire through Google Play store. Apple CarPlay is nice and all but it is extremely limited. With a unit like the EONON, you can do anything you wish.

Also, it does have both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capability on top of getting any other app you want.

A pic from their site:

I get that. And really I'm only after CarPlay (specifically wireless CarPlay). Also, I feel like that unit sits to low but I could be wrong. you said you love it. Is it at a good height? Can you easily look at it while navigating to your destination?
And For me, the Wakaa Unit looks cool, like the F30 it's modern and sits at the top. I just don't know if it's worth making a hole to mount it. Which is why I'm asking if someone has ever tried this one out.
I do like the Eonon units tho!!
How's it holding up?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 04:02 PM   #5
SOOK_BMW
Rep
Drives: G22 M440i

Quote:
I get that. And really I'm only after CarPlay (specifically wireless CarPlay). Also, I feel like that unit sits to low but I could be wrong. you said you love it. Is it at a good height? Can you easily look at it while navigating to your destination?
And For me, the Wakaa Unit looks cool, like the F30 it's modern and sits at the top. I just don't know if it's worth making a hole to mount it. Which is why I'm asking if someone has ever tried this one out.
I do like the Eonon units tho!!
How's it holding up?
4 months in, working like it did on day one. If I have to point out a flaw, it would be the storage on the device itself. Overtime though, you realize that you really don't need much storage as it is in your car and there's only so much you want to do with it being in your car.

I have an Android phone and at the beginning I used Android Auto (the Apple CarPlay for Androids). Now, I don't use Android Auto at all (just Bluetooth for calls/music). Since the unit is running an Android OS itself, I just download the actual app like Waze on the unit and have at it! You can also get crazy and do Netflix and all that other jazz lol. I enable the WiFi hotspot on my phone and that's how the unit gets internet.

As far as installation goes, pretty straightforward but will take an entire day. You have to completely remove the OEM radio and unplug all the cables. Lots of cables but they're labeled so it isn't too frustrating.

You do have to take out the HVAC controls and do some very minor cutting to the sides for it to fit into the new bracket (included).

Also it comes with both a GPS and WiFi antenna to run its wires and have it sitting some where on your dash for best reception. I also mounted up a rear view camera to it - works like a charm! All of the steering wheel buttons still work, I was pretty amazed at that.

As far as where it is placed, I can see where you're coming from - it does look like it is in an awkward position in the pictures. But I'll tell you that it really isn't when looking at it. It is just fine to me, I don't find it a problem at all.

I don't know if wireless Apple CarPlay works right out the box - but I'm pretty sure you can buy one of those dongles that allow it to be wireless off Amazon and plug that straight into the USB port on the unit.

It boils down to you wanting the best look with the Wakaa or want more features beyond Apple Carplay with the EONON.

Hope my little review helped, good luck!
Appreciate 1