E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > E92 335i N55 Catback Exhaust options

04-21-2020, 11:01 AM   #1
Benhum5
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i N55 DCT

E92 335i N55 Catback Exhaust options

Hi All

I'm sure this topic has been done to death but I keep hitting the same block when it comes to researching this.

I have had my 335i around 7 months now and I'm looking for something a bit extra in the sound dept. But I also want to keep everything legal and MOT passable so don't want to go down the route of a De-cat.

This leads me to looking at Cat-back systems. Most threads on the forums seem to lead to the BMW PE but I think I'm way too late to the party for one of them.

I also do quite a few motorways miles so don't want anything that will drone too badly and annoy me. (again Probably BMW PE is a good bet)

Anyone have experience with the Milltek resonated full system? I believe on N55 it is a cat-back. They seem readily available but I barely see any mention of them on forums etc.

Any help or previous experience on other brands or videos with just a cat back (most seem to have had DP done as well) would be greatly appreciated!

Ben
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 12:08 PM   #2
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benhum5 View Post
Hi All

I'm sure this topic has been done to death but I keep hitting the same block when it comes to researching this.

I have had my 335i around 7 months now and I'm looking for something a bit extra in the sound dept. But I also want to keep everything legal and MOT passable so don't want to go down the route of a De-cat.

This leads me to looking at Cat-back systems. Most threads on the forums seem to lead to the BMW PE but I think I'm way too late to the party for one of them.

I also do quite a few motorways miles so don't want anything that will drone too badly and annoy me. (again Probably BMW PE is a good bet)

Anyone have experience with the Milltek resonated full system? I believe on N55 it is a cat-back. They seem readily available but I barely see any mention of them on forums etc.

Any help or previous experience on other brands or videos with just a cat back (most seem to have had DP done as well) would be greatly appreciated!

Ben
Your best bet is, in my opinion and many other people on the forum, to do the performance exhaust mod. It is impossible to have droning effects while sounding amazing.

I have a video with different setups I had on my car while doing my performance exhaust mod. It's a bit hard to hear because of my shitty camera, but here it is.

04-21-2020, 04:16 PM   #3
Benhum5
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Your best bet is, in my opinion and many other people on the forum, to do the performance exhaust mod. It is impossible to have droning effects while sounding amazing.

I have a video with different setups I had on my car while doing my performance exhaust mod. It's a bit hard to hear because of my shitty camera, but here it is.
Cheers for the response! I actually did a slightly different mod on my previous car (135i backbox adapted to 130i) which was okay but it seemed a bit crude. Was thinking I would actually invest in something more professional this time.

Did you mod your stock exhaust or buy a used stock one to mod?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 04:20 PM   #4
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benhum5 View Post
Cheers for the response! I actually did a slightly different mod on my previous car (135i backbox adapted to 130i) which was okay but it seemed a bit crude. Was thinking I would actually invest in something more professional this time.

Did you mod your stock exhaust or buy a used stock one to mod?
I modded it myself on my own stock exhaust that i took off. Cut the cat back portion and removed it from the car and then i basically cut the panels of the catback to get access to the pipes that need to be replaced and welded. I only have a very basic MIG welder at home so I stich welded the pipes in place but got a professional good friend of mine to go all around the pipe because I was propably going to mess it up

If you manage to find another already used catback exhaust, it might be a good idea to try to mod that one in case you mess up!

Here is a video that shows clearly what has to be done when the exhaust if off of the car.

I am pretty sure this manufacturer also sells version of the exhausts already modded.
      04-22-2020, 09:35 AM   #5
JUMAS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

I installed an HKS catback 2 days ago. car is FBO with a catless DP. sounds lovely deep and throaty and not raspy. Its a surprisingly quiet cold start too.

I dont have any videos but you can find one on google or on one of the sites that sells it, they have a white e90 with the exhaust driving and revving.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 09:40 AM   #6
Benhum5
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUMAS View Post
I installed an HKS catback 2 days ago. car is FBO with a catless DP. sounds lovely deep and throaty and not raspy. Its a surprisingly quiet cold start too.

I dont have any videos but you can find one on google or on one of the sites that sells it, they have a white e90 with the exhaust driving and revving.
Thanks! Will have a look!

Anyone got any experience with the Remus mufflers?
Appreciate 0