E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > water pump fuse or relay? pump not working at all

09-28-2017, 12:19 AM   #23
n54e90ftw
Rep
Drives: BMW 2008 335xi Sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Didn't find the 30A fuse in ECU box in my 335xi

I have a 2008 bmw 335xi that had the same issue, engine overheat, limp mode after 2 seconds of warning. So I guess my water pump was fried. So I went and replaced my water pump, and started the coolant flush, no pump sound. Then I checked the ECU box, and found no 30A fuse, but only a 50A BIG fuse. Looks like my car model has a different fuse arrangement? Any idea where the water pump fuse in a 2008 e90 335xi? Thanks

Photos attached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fariedk View Post
Pics of the location of ecu/dme box and the exact fuse.

Hope this helps
Hi Fariedk do you know where can I find my water pump fuse in 2008 335xi? My ECU box doesnt look quite like yours. Do you think it's the 50A fuse that I have? I checked that fuse it's still good.

UPDATE:

According to the thread I found the fuse, it's in the distribution box right on top of the battery in the trunk. I checked it's still intact, all of the connection ends reads low resistance like 0.4Ohms. So I guess the pump is not working because the electrical connection is bad somewhere else, could be a broken wire somewhere. When I disconnected the pump the connector seemed fine... I guess the next step I'll use the multimeter to check the continuity of the cable going to the pump.. but how... there're 4 pins, and from what I read, they're:

pin 1 : 12v power
pin 2 : PWM signal (12v)
pin 3 : BSD signal (7.5-8.5v)
pin 4 : ground

Damn this repair is getting too long. I'm thinking of getting an INPA cable to diagnose what is going on.
Attached Images

Last edited by n54e90ftw; 09-28-2017 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: Update status
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2018, 10:07 PM   #24
THCHAD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335XI

Did you ever figure this one out? I have the same setup as you do in the fusebox under the hood. Mine started the light show limp mode thing this evening and I am really hoping its a fuse or something easy. Any info would be appreciated. Thx in advance...

Chad
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 08:44 AM   #25
Leosj
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330i

I am having the same problem with my car. Water pump won't start bleed process. It won't even run when the car is on, causing it to overheat. I checked every fuse there is, and everything is good. No blown fuse. Water pump, and thermostat are brand new. Any one have any solutions to this problem?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 12:11 AM   #26
Leosj
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leosj View Post
I am having the same problem with my car. Water pump won't start bleed process. It won't even run when the car is on, causing it to overheat. I checked every fuse there is, and everything is good. No blown fuse. Water pump, and thermostat are brand new. Any one have any solutions to this problem?
Hi... I have the same problem. Did you ever figure out what was wrong?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 09:10 PM   #27
Tsanders
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmwn325i

I know this post is old but need help. I have a 2006 BMW 325i. I had replaced water pump. It worked fine. It was a extra car. Wife lost the key. Car set up for bout s year. Got key started car water pump won't work now
Ordered new water pump. It still won't run at all. Can't see any fuses blown
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 09:28 PM   #28
Tsanders
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmwn325i

If the battery is bad would the pump not come on? I hooked battery charger to it. Car started but pump won't run
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 09:56 PM   #29
Loose1337
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Hi all,

I've got a BMW 335i 2008 with 81km, Sedan, stage 2 tune and mods.

Recently I've had a problem with my water pump not working and ends up over heating the car. With some research and looking at forums other BMW owners had the same problem, where car would over heat and big radiator fan would kick in. So I ended up changing the water pump and thermostat to a new one. Topped up with coolant and tried to do the blend process but water pump does not seem to come on. Also saw that someone had the same problem as me where he had new water pump and thermostat but water pump would not turn on, he ended up changing the fuse in the ECU box and it fixed his issue. I ended up opening the ECU box and finding out that the fuse has blown. So I rush down to the shop and grab a new fuse (exactly the same fuse) put it inside the same spot as before and instantly it blow. I've called my friend and told him the same story and he determined that its a short circuit somewhere in the wiring of the system something along the lines of some wire not being grounded that causes the problem.

My question is does anyone know what many be causing this issue? and how would I fix this?

Any help would be much appreciated and welcomed as I've been trying to fix this for quite something now and completely lost.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 10:14 AM   #30
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

You need to follow the wire going from the pump to the fuse box, there's a frayed wire somewhere in there.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2019, 02:02 PM   #31
Lou335xi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

water pump

Water pump just had to be replaced on my 08 335xi shortly after thermostat, should have done them together just a heads up. Good luck.
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2019, 10:19 PM   #32
Comicbookguy70
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335XI

I ran into something similar myself. I have a 2010 335xi and it overheated one night. I checked the codes there were errors involving the pump. So I ordered a new pump and replaced it, cleared codes and still nothing.

I started looking for a fuse and didn't find anything. I checked the battery area and realized the battery well was full of water. Maybe a gallon jug had broken from a shopping trip, no idea. The problem was, located at the bottom of the battery well are two bulkhead fittings that transfer the main power and water pump power from inside the car to outside. Being under water and carrying power caused a electrolysis situation and the wire and wire lugs disintegrated.

Although you might not have the same underwater issue it's still possible that the wire may have broken or corroded off the bulkhead fitting or maybe loose. If you pull the battery out it should be easy to determine.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 03:17 AM   #33
Rosemberg_tho
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i bmw

So the fuse keeps blowing so I believe there's a short going to the water pump , i put in like three 40amp fuses an it blows them every few mins , I took some picture of the connecter to the pump an they look burnt . I know I need to find the short , or should I get a whole new connecter for the pump . If you guys have any tips on how to fix it or if you guys have had the same or similar problem let me know anything helps , thankssss.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 03:35 PM   #34
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

This connector is burnt and needs to be replaced, and probably the entire branch of the loom is cooked as well. When the wires overheat the insulating layer flakes into a powder and you get more shorts and more blown fuses.
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2020, 01:28 AM   #35
Kbudz94
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmoov View Post
Everything is perfect for me too. Everything works as should and car runs great.

Only problem is the pump wont start the bleed cycle. It only did the first initial time. I want to bleed it again because Im OCD, but I cant get it to activate the washing machine sound.
What do you mean by the washing machine sound?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 07:19 AM   #36
afy511
Rep
Drives: x5 n55 35i 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by n54e90ftw View Post
I have a 2008 bmw 335xi that had the same issue, engine overheat, limp mode after 2 seconds of warning. So I guess my water pump was fried. So I went and replaced my water pump, and started the coolant flush, no pump sound. Then I checked the ECU box, and found no 30A fuse, but only a 50A BIG fuse. Looks like my car model has a different fuse arrangement? Any idea where the water pump fuse in a 2008 e90 335xi? Thanks

Photos attached.

Hi Fariedk do you know where can I find my water pump fuse in 2008 335xi? My ECU box doesnt look quite like yours. Do you think it's the 50A fuse that I have? I checked that fuse it's still good.

UPDATE:

According to the thread I found the fuse, it's in the distribution box right on top of the battery in the trunk. I checked it's still intact, all of the connection ends reads low resistance like 0.4Ohms. So I guess the pump is not working because the electrical connection is bad somewhere else, could be a broken wire somewhere. When I disconnected the pump the connector seemed fine... I guess the next step I'll use the multimeter to check the continuity of the cable going to the pump.. but how... there're 4 pins, and from what I read, they're:

pin 1 : 12v power
pin 2 : PWM signal (12v)
pin 3 : BSD signal (7.5-8.5v)
pin 4 : ground

Damn this repair is getting too long. I'm thinking of getting an INPA cable to diagnose what is going on.
I have the exact same issue. Did you sort it out
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 07:39 AM   #37
afy511
Rep
Drives: x5 n55 35i 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmoov View Post
Everything is perfect for me too. Everything works as should and car runs great.

Only problem is the pump wont start the bleed cycle. It only did the first initial time. I want to bleed it again because Im OCD, but I cant get it to activate the washing machine sound.
Did you figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 08:47 PM   #38
N55lif3
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i n55

Quote:
Originally Posted by afy511 View Post
I have the exact same issue. Did you sort it out
Did you solve this?

11.4s@120mph (Full Weight + 50lb ea wheel on street) // E30 Wedge Performance
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 02:53 AM   #39
Teedee
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d F31 M Sport pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by N55lif3 View Post
Did you solve this?
Same issue here too. Any takers?
Help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 08:19 AM   #40
Lewisrc3
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Need Help!

I own a 2009 BMW 328i Sedan. Three weeks ago the car overheated. I replaced the original Water Pump and Thermostat that came with the car when purchased at the same time. I filled the coolant reservoir with new coolant with the bleed screw open to let the air out but I attempted to activate the bleeding process procedure (Ignition On, Lowest fan setting, Highest Temp of 84 degrees and foot on the the gas pedal for 10 seconds) and It did NOT come on.

I read on this forum all the things to check like:
1. Three fuses in the the Glove Box (40 Amp, 30 Amp, 5 Amp)
- All checked Out Good
2. 40 Amp Fuse under the hood, Passenger side ECU/DME location
- Checked out good
3. Disconnect the Negative of the battery and reconnect.
- Did that

After All that Still Won't Activate.

Anything else I need to check? Or do?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 10:43 PM   #41
DaneGallo
Registered
Rep

Water pump not working at all

This is a long shot I have been looking at fourms the last few hours trying to find anyone with this problem, I had tapped into the subwoofer under the passenger seat and ended up shorting them, after that I noticed that all the dash lights where on and I couldnt start the car. After trying to start the car I heard what sounded like the water pump continusly trying to click on. The car still would not start and then I went to jump it and finally it started. Everything seemed to be running fine but I heard the fan blowing at full blast and took it down the street and it started overheating. I have looked at fuses all over the car thinking it would be a fuse problem right? No fuses where blown and I even tried to prime the pump and which the process didnt work. I have read in forums that if there is a bad fuse the fan will turn on right away but in my case I was able to drive the car for about 10 minuets in 50 degree weather before the car would be put into limp mode. I noticed I didnt hear the water pump try to prime when the ignition was on all I heard was a few clicks maybe the water pump attempting to turn on? But still Im not sure what to do.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 10:47 PM   #42
DaneGallo
Registered
Rep

Same problem here

Have you found any solutions to this problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisrc3 View Post
Need Help!

I own a 2009 BMW 328i Sedan. Three weeks ago the car overheated. I replaced the original Water Pump and Thermostat that came with the car when purchased at the same time. I filled the coolant reservoir with new coolant with the bleed screw open to let the air out but I attempted to activate the bleeding process procedure (Ignition On, Lowest fan setting, Highest Temp of 84 degrees and foot on the the gas pedal for 10 seconds) and It did NOT come on.

I read on this forum all the things to check like:
1. Three fuses in the the Glove Box (40 Amp, 30 Amp, 5 Amp)
- All checked Out Good
2. 40 Amp Fuse under the hood, Passenger side ECU/DME location
- Checked out good
3. Disconnect the Negative of the battery and reconnect.
- Did that

After All that Still Won't Activate.

Anything else I need to check? Or do?
Appreciate 0