E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Oh yes, it's another combox retrofit woes post!

02-09-2019, 09:56 AM   #1
Cherubdc
England
Rep
Drives: 2007 325i SE E92

Oh yes, it's another combox retrofit woes post!

I posted this over in the ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion to start with but I have a feeling the problem I have is possibly a coding issue so I am posting it here in the hope this is the right place for it and will delete the other post here if this is against the rules...just had a look and I can't see how to delete it entirely so if anyone can delete please feel to delete. Sorry.

Ok, so here goes..... I have a 2007 e92 325i (UK)

Bit of background, I had a the CIC retrofitted by someone in December, I have CIC fully up to date with 6nr already loaded....then I decided I could do the combox retrofit myself! I bought a telematics combox because I found them more readily available on eBay, I do have the wiring for assist but eventually I will code all that out because I don't particularly want it even if I could get it working.

I have since fitted and coded this and on a whole it has gone well but the problem I have run into is not being able to get the microphone for bluetooth telephone calls (I can hear people perfectly fine they just can't hear me) or the voice activation to hear me.
I have tried everything that I have read across all the forums and countless posts regarding trying to get this mic to work and I have come up empty handed. I have tried changing mic over most to aktiv and then nicht aktiv and then back again. I have checked my wiring over and over again. Finally located the mic wiring in the footwell and because it's a UK model it's in the drivers footwell and all that seems fine and doesn't seem to need repinning.

So....I bought another telematics combox, just in case the one I had was faulty, plugged it in on Wednesday just gone and coded it this morning but to no avail. I still have no working mic! I feel like I can't move forward with anything else until I get this issue sorted, it's driving me nuts and is an important part of the car for me. I still have 6fl, 6nr, 6ns and 6nf to get my head around!

Previous to the combox retrofit I had just the TCU and previous to the CIC retrofit I had CCC and the bluetooth for calls worked really well, couldn't ever get voice activation to work, but once CIC was retrofitted the nice man who did it for me activated Voice activation too.

So up until me fitting the combox I had working bluetooth calls and working voice activation. I have tried swapping back to the TCU and it works just fine again so I know its not a coincidence and the mic packed up in between tcu removal and combox fitting.

Please can anyone help me with this? I just don't know what else to try/do.

Thank you for any help you can provide me with.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 04:05 PM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherubdc View Post
I posted this over in the ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion to start with but I have a feeling the problem I have is possibly a coding issue so I am posting it here in the hope this is the right place for it and will delete the other post here if this is against the rules...just had a look and I can't see how to delete it entirely so if anyone can delete please feel to delete. Sorry.

Ok, so here goes..... I have a 2007 e92 325i (UK)

Bit of background, I had a the CIC retrofitted by someone in December, I have CIC fully up to date with 6nr already loaded....then I decided I could do the combox retrofit myself! I bought a telematics combox because I found them more readily available on eBay, I do have the wiring for assist but eventually I will code all that out because I don't particularly want it even if I could get it working.

I have since fitted and coded this and on a whole it has gone well but the problem I have run into is not being able to get the microphone for bluetooth telephone calls (I can hear people perfectly fine they just can't hear me) or the voice activation to hear me.
I have tried everything that I have read across all the forums and countless posts regarding trying to get this mic to work and I have come up empty handed. I have tried changing mic over most to aktiv and then nicht aktiv and then back again. I have checked my wiring over and over again. Finally located the mic wiring in the footwell and because it's a UK model it's in the drivers footwell and all that seems fine and doesn't seem to need repinning.

So....I bought another telematics combox, just in case the one I had was faulty, plugged it in on Wednesday just gone and coded it this morning but to no avail. I still have no working mic! I feel like I can't move forward with anything else until I get this issue sorted, it's driving me nuts and is an important part of the car for me. I still have 6fl, 6nr, 6ns and 6nf to get my head around!

Previous to the combox retrofit I had just the TCU and previous to the CIC retrofit I had CCC and the bluetooth for calls worked really well, couldn't ever get voice activation to work, but once CIC was retrofitted the nice man who did it for me activated Voice activation too.

So up until me fitting the combox I had working bluetooth calls and working voice activation. I have tried swapping back to the TCU and it works just fine again so I know its not a coincidence and the mic packed up in between tcu removal and combox fitting.

Please can anyone help me with this? I just don't know what else to try/do.

Thank you for any help you can provide me with.
Ok, well did you repin the connector?

For TCU The MIC connections are as follows:

1 - MIC+
19 - MIC-
21 - MIC BLNC

And for combox it should be:

25 - MIC+
12 - MIC-
11 - MIC BLNC
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 02:21 AM   #3
Cherubdc
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
Ok, well did you repin the connector?

For TCU The MIC connections are as follows:

1 - MIC+
19 - MIC-
21 - MIC BLNC

And for combox it should be:

25 - MIC+
12 - MIC-
11 - MIC BLNC
Morning, Thank you for replying, yes checked them lots of times but I will check again in a bit just in case I was being a numpty and didn't check them properly. It is highly possible, because this retrofit is my first time doing anything like this and let me tell you it has been a HUGE learning curve! lol
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 09:12 AM   #4
Cherubdc
England
Rep

Success!! It was wiring in a roundabout way. It was the Kufatec Pnp harness adaptars/connectors that were not letting the pins/wires make a good enough connection.

I took both ends of the harness off to properly check the wires and then plugged the wire blocks straight into the combox and the TCU harness and Oh my goodness the Voice activation lady heard me and a telephone call I made the person finally heard me!

I cannot begin to tell you how chuffed to bits I am that it is now working - three long weeks of reading and trying everything bar plugging in with those bloody connectors off!! Lesson learned....even when you buy a ready made piece don't assume that it is going to work as it should! I had already had to move some of the pins previously because they were pinned wrongly for the sos call.

I just need to find some new connectors that sit down properly now and don't need sides grinding off (it arrived like that!) and pieces cut out of them for them to fit.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to reply to me
Appreciate 0