E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Cheap Downpipe install + Logs

10-21-2021, 12:30 PM   #1
syntax
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi

Cheap Downpipe install + Logs

Got my automatic 2008 335xi vrsf catless downpipes installed by a garage for $400. That's very cheap i think and this is also the xi which requires subframe dropping. Went to MHD stage 2+ right away on 93 now that im fbo (dci + intercooler + chargepipe + catless dp's). My coils and plugs are fairly new but I noticed in my 3rd gear pull the RPMs felt sort of hesitatey I'm not sure if this is normal or it was placebo and I was just tweakin. Here's my log. Btw i shifted it little early and forgot to turn off the log so it goes for a little extra after wot. https://datazap.me/u/bmw335xi08/fbo-...og=0&data=3-21
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 12:50 PM   #2
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

It looks like you are getting lots of timing corrections. Honestly, the log really doesn't really look that bad. Maybe put in a fresh set of plugs gaped at .022" and see if that might take care of some of the corrections? Were you running a fresh tank of 93?
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 03:49 PM   #3
syntax
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
It looks like you are getting lots of timing corrections. Honestly, the log really doesn't really look that bad. Maybe put in a fresh set of plugs gaped at .022" and see if that might take care of some of the corrections? Were you running a fresh tank of 93?
I got copper rockauto plugs with oem gap so maybe it's time for colder plugs. To be fair this is stage 2+ lol. And yeah it's got half a tank of 93. I thought it looked good also besides the corrections but my trims weren't maxed
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 08:18 PM   #4
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntax View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
I got copper rockauto plugs with oem gap so maybe it's time for colder plugs. To be fair this is stage 2+ lol. And yeah it's got half a tank of 93. I thought it looked good also besides the corrections but my trims weren't maxed
Just get the oem Bosch 3 prong plug. They are more than good enough for stage 2+. Also no need to worry about gapping.
This is a common miss conception but colder plugs are not needed for the off the shelf maps. I run MHD stage2+ myself and they are pretty safe.

400 is very cheap for an xi. Mine is also an xi and it cost me 1200 for downpipes. (Including an alignment since the subframe was dropped). Did that price include an alignment as well!?
      10-22-2021, 08:35 AM   #5
syntax
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bro View Post
Just get the oem Bosch 3 prong plug. They are more than good enough for stage 2+. Also no need to worry about gapping.
This is a common miss conception but colder plugs are not needed for the off the shelf maps. I run MHD stage2+ myself and they are pretty safe.

400 is very cheap for an xi. Mine is also an xi and it cost me 1200 for downpipes. (Including an alignment since the subframe was dropped). Did that price include an alignment as well!?
Yes with the subframe s how it works. The guy had a built single turbo n54 I met at a car meet and he had a shop and told me he could get it done for me. He quoted 400 and said it's because it's an xi. I'm guessing rwd would've been even cheaper lol. They're a new small shop that does great performance work. I think they might fab a turbo kit for me in the future. I jumped at that install deal lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 12:36 PM   #6
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

I second the Bosch plugs, 2-steps colder, gapped to 0.022. Just my opinion. That's what I run and it's not pulling timing.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 04:17 AM   #7
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Third on OEM Bosch Plugs, they are good enough and no need for steped plugs at this power level.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 04:21 AM   #8
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntax View Post
Got my automatic 2008 335xi vrsf catless downpipes installed by a garage for $400. That's very cheap i think and this is also the xi which requires subframe dropping. Went to MHD stage 2+ right away on 93 now that im fbo (dci + intercooler + chargepipe + catless dp's). My coils and plugs are fairly new but I noticed in my 3rd gear pull the RPMs felt sort of hesitatey I'm not sure if this is normal or it was placebo and I was just tweakin. Here's my log. Btw i shifted it little early and forgot to turn off the log so it goes for a little extra after wot. https://datazap.me/u/bmw335xi08/fbo-...og=0&data=3-21
If you look at the timing, it dips to 0 degrees midway,

Your corrections are likely due to plugs and/or coils

If you have Eldor Coils already, I'd get Bosch OEM plugs, otherwise a good idea to to do both,
Appreciate 0