E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > N00b to the forums... Quick stealership question...

09-16-2010, 08:21 PM   #23
Robmw 328
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Ok great, I am going to get on that asap.
      09-16-2010, 08:42 PM   #24
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Not if he hasn't been flagged, put the original lights in and give it a shot at the dealer
Correct. It will also make oncoming drivers much happier.

Somehow though, I doubt if he'll take the advice. I hope he does.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 03:02 PM   #25
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

HID for the Angels lights?

When you head lights are on, they Angels are noticeable, but the stock xenons are MUCH brighter

If it's during the day, it's so bright out that the lights don't hurt anyone's eyes

So how is it unsafe? (unless I'm misunderstanding what he is trying to do)

And the fogs are positioned low where even HIDs don't hurt your eyes

And I have sensitive eyes.. so I know what it means to have lights hurt your eyes (fogs don't, they're positioned like that)

Regarding warranty: it would void your headlight warranty, but not all the electronics, and that's only if something goes wrong

being flagged doesn't constitute getting your warranty voided.

Last edited by persian54; 09-18-2010 at 04:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 03:09 PM   #26
bkrM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post

When you head lights are on, they Angels are noticeable, but the stock xenons are MUCH brighter

If it's during the day, it's so bright out that the light don't hurt anyone's eyes

And I have sensitive eyes.. so I know what it means to have lights hurt your eyes (fogs don't, they're positioned like that)

Regarding warranty: it would void your headlight warranty, but not all the electronics, and that's only if something goes wrong

Not for the angels...as a replacement for the halogen bulbs, i.e. the actual headlights.
      09-17-2010, 03:30 PM   #27
cb1111
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post

If it's during the day, it's so bright out that the light don't hurt anyone's eyes

He has replaced his halogen bulbs with 6000k HIDs utilizing the halogen housings.

To give a very simplified explanation, the "arc" of a halogen bulb is similar to that of a normal household lightbulb - the wire, that runs perpendicular to the base, glows brightly. That light is focused by the housing.

An HID bulb arcs parallel to base (ie back to front when installed in the car) and requires a different housing to focus the vastly different beam.

Accordingly, it is physically impossible to properly focus an HID lamp in a halogen housing (and vice versa)

Now, the warranty.

We know (and you know this all too well) that the systems in our cars are often interconnected. The HID assembly draws a different current from the halogen lamp (so do the HID fogs) which can affect all sorts of systems and controllers other than the front lighting assemblies. Depending on the issue, he may expect warranty issues with the entire electrical system.

Getting flagged means just that - the BMW computer is annotated that you have a certain mod. It means nothing by itself but do you think that a dealer won't consider that flag when deciding if a issue is warranty related?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 03:36 PM   #28
cb1111
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmw 328 View Post
Wow, they're really THAT bad? I made sure to adjust the beams so they didn't point high enough to "blind" anyone. As far as legal, I was pretty sure that 8000k and up was illegal.

And besides you can't void the electrical warranty unless they prove the bulbs/ballasts caused the electrical problem. The car looks great IMO... I'm sure there are mods on this board that I wouldn't agree with, but, to each his/her own.

The whole point of this thread was to find information about the BMW performance exhaust and warranty issues...

See my post above that discusses HID vs halogen bulbs. Regulations require "white" light. While the FMVSS 108 does not define "white," SAE documents generally define it as being up to the 4500k range. Virtually every manufacturer that uses HIDs actually used 4300k bulbs as the amount of usable light drops off dramatically over about 5000k. Your 6000k bulbs may have appeared brighter because they caused more glare.

Oh - and the other posters were correct - BMW performance part that are designed for your car (ie designed for your particular model) will not affect warranty assuming that they are installed correctly. Install them wrong and BMW will not repair the resulting damage under warranty. Equally, a BMW performance part not intended for your particular model may also cause warranty issues - even if it appears to fit and function properly.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 03:41 PM   #29
cb1111
Rep

Quote:
Just FYI, all "official" BMW performance parts do not void your warranty unless they were installed improperly (by a private non-BMW party) and whatever the failure is caused by the improper installation. So if it has a BMW part number, you're warranty should remain intact
If the BMW performance part was installed improperly by a dealership, then any resulting damage is covered by that dealership - not by the BMW warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 03:46 PM   #30
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
If the BMW performance part was installed improperly by a dealership, then any resulting damage is covered by that dealership - not by the BMW warranty.
Technicality, but yes - buying and installing your BMW performance parts through a BMW dealer will not result in warranty service refusal due to those specific parts - it is covered either by BMW, if the parts were defective, or your dealer if the install was defective. Either way, you will not be held accountable for anything.

FWIW, there are plenty of people who've bought these parts themselves (even second hand) and installed them 3rd party or themselves, and still had no problem with warranty. So if you're confident in yourself or your indy mechanic, this would be the cheaper option.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 03:51 PM   #31
WWONG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d

Black is a pain in the anus to keep clean, but looks great when it is. You have a beautiful car nonetheless!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 04:03 PM   #32
BrunoT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F-150

Solution: Eat more carrots. That way your night vision will improve and you won't have to screw up your car and warranty and possibly annoy oncoming drivers.

Or buy a $8,000 used car to play Dr. Frankenstein on.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 04:08 PM   #33
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Tundra, 15 FIT, 17 CRV

Get your intake and exhaust. I did the intake myself and had a muffler shop do the exhaust. The intake will not result in ANY sound difference. I think it is mostly for looks but then again you don't drive with your hood open. The exhaust on the other hand sounds great. While you are at it you should pick up one of my tshirts to go with your new ride

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...70&postcount=1

If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 04:09 PM   #34
cb1111
Rep

Quote:
Technicality, but yes - buying and installing your BMW performance parts through a BMW dealer will not result in warranty service refusal due to those specific parts - it is covered either by BMW, if the parts were defective, or your dealer if the install was defective. Either way, you will not be held accountable for anything.

FWIW, there are plenty of people who've bought these parts themselves (even second hand) and installed them 3rd party or themselves, and still had no problem with warranty. So if you're confident in yourself or your indy mechanic, this would be the cheaper option.
Correct - but a different dealer could easily say "this was installed wrong and caused the problem" and it would be up to you to get it resolved with the installing dealer.

But yes, the part itself (new, used) will not cause warranty issues by itself.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 04:14 AM   #35
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

I thought he was referring to the angels as I thought our (or at least my) headlights were perfect.

Sorry for the misunderstanding
Appreciate 0