E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Upgrading from an n43

04-07-2019, 10:51 AM   #1
zumone
Rep
Drives: e92 N43 2.0

Upgrading from an n43

Hey everyone,

I have a e92 2,0 n43 for about a year now my first car, I love it and havent had any issues, except for the fact the MPG is rubbish (about 23mpg in city, 28 average) and its a bit slow. I want something with a bigger engine that will also be economic, so I want to sell it this summer and pick up another e92 diesel.

Ive been doing some reading and my preference would be an m57 as it seems a more reliable as well as having a timing chain which is easier to access, but from what I know the 335d only comes as an auto and as I'm set on a manual transmission I am looking at the 330d running on n57 engines. The question is, is it a huge downgrade? Or should I feel confident running an n57. I plan to remap and dpf gut whatever I get.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 01:19 PM   #2
mrbubba
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumone View Post
Hey everyone,

I have a e92 2,0 n43 for about a year now my first car, I love it and havent had any issues, except for the fact the MPG is rubbish (about 23mpg in city, 28 average) and its a bit slow. I want something with a bigger engine that will also be economic, so I want to sell it this summer and pick up another e92 diesel.

Ive been doing some reading and my preference would be an m57 as it seems a more reliable as well as having a timing chain which is easier to access, but from what I know the 335d only comes as an auto and as I'm set on a manual transmission I am looking at the 330d running on n57 engines. The question is, is it a huge downgrade? Or should I feel confident running an n57. I plan to remap and dpf gut whatever I get.
Having driven both the auto and the manual 3.0 diesel, I'd take the auto everyday. It's a much nicer driving experience and goes well with the engine.
I found with the manual (both in the 5 series and 3 series), I was changing gear constantly due to the low rev limit.
I'd go and test drive an auto and I'm sure you'll change your mind
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 06:56 AM   #3
zumone
Rep
Drives: e92 N43 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbubba View Post
Having driven both the auto and the manual 3.0 diesel, I'd take the auto everyday. It's a much nicer driving experience and goes well with the engine.
I found with the manual (both in the 5 series and 3 series), I was changing gear constantly due to the low rev limit.
I'd go and test drive an auto and I'm sure you'll change your mind
Thanks for your reply!

I will definitely drive both, but my experience with driving my friends automatics is that its not as fun for me to drive! Personal preference I guess.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 07:23 AM   #4
mrbubba
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumone View Post
Thanks for your reply!

I will definitely drive both, but my experience with driving my friends automatics is that its not as fun for me to drive! Personal preference I guess.
Are they the same cars you're looking at? I've had 3 Autos with paddle shift, a Skoda Octavia Vrs, Audi S4 and a BMW 325d and the driving experience has been good. All our work vehicles are also auto (BMW and Audi) I've since got a manual vehicle and can't wait to change for an Auto again
Appreciate 0