E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Sticking Steering Column Lock Fix

03-09-2017, 09:35 PM   #133
328i-Moh
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i

I'm stuck in step 11 !!!

How to Turn the Wheel when it is already locked?

I'm working on DIY and stuck on step 11. I'm not able to turn the wheel. It's locked. Any idea? Please help
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 08:12 AM   #134
ahmadarifai
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 325i

My Experience

i am posting this it might help someone.

the red light light came suddenly while driving, no battery issues and it was a hot day.

the orange light never showed before and after turning off the car the car started normally.

i connected carly for BMW and tried to clear the code while running without success, turned off the car with all dash lights on , the error was cleared and no more RED silly icon!!

the error was 00a00 something like that, "Unknown error", there was also another error in immobilizer system which is also zeros but it said "car watchdog not working..." what the hell does that mean?!

there was one more thing i did but i am not sure if it is relevant, before a week i was coding the car and in the CAS there was "Disable comfort access" i set to deactivate and before attempting final code clear i set it back to active.

btw my car does not have comfort access . i activated to see what it might do.

my car also got stuck in the desert sand 4 days ago i wonder if it is relevant to what triggered this error.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 01:15 PM   #135
florodebat
Registered
Rep
Drives: E 91

yakev724 All the images included in the steering wheel DIY appears to be unavailable. This is a great DIY so I am wondering if you could re-upload the images?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 12:43 PM   #136
alpina320d
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d e90

I got the same steering lock problem in My E90.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 12:46 PM   #137
alpina320d
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d e90

All the images included in the steering wheel DIY appears to be unavailable!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 08:01 AM   #138
osianbw
Registered
Rep
Drives: e91 '06

Angry

So I've developed this same issue with my e91 '06, my quote from the stealership was GBP 972. They say that only replacing the steering column will fix the problem. I'm going to take in to an indy and see if they can update the cars software and solve the issue that way otherwise they'll be doing the column too. I'm disgusted that BMW wouldn't offer any goodwill toward the repair, especially as this is a fault with their component!

I was interested to read this walk through but without the pictures it makes it difficult. I found yakev724's photobucket page and the images show up in it, but unfortunately you can't see all of them full size. Here's the link, even as thumbnails they should help you get the gist.

http://s293.photobucket.com/user/yak...?sort=3&page=1
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 06:03 PM   #139
berne
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik_Sweden View Post
I am glad I found this thread, I have had trouble with the ELV on my E91 -06 for about 1,5 years. I took it apart and lubricated all parts + tacking the electric motor apart and cleaned it for about 1 year ago.

2 weeks ago it started to show yellow light again after working perfectly for 1 year

So I decided to try the emulator after reading this thread. It works perfectly!

So I thought I could share some info about how I did it:

1. I have soldered the connection pins on the circuteboard.

2. No plastic casing for the curcitboard was included, so I made on in my CAD program and printed in my company’s 3D-printer

3. Connecting it to the car was super easy, about 20min job.

- Remove the kick panel, only 3 T20 screws.
- Put key into car and check that the ELV unlocks the steering wheel.

- Disconnect the battery in the trunk

- Disconnect the ELV-cable you can access it easy from the underside where you have removed the kick panel.

- Note that the ELV-cable connection-pins are marked 1 2 3 4. Number 1 pin must be connected to the number 1 pin on the curcitboard (it is marked).

- Connect the Emulator.

- Reconnect the car battery. And insert key. You will see a small LED on the curcitboard flash when the Emulator is working.

Best regards
Fredrik /Sweden

Visa har det bra☺️ Har samma problem, men kan inte få låstet att släppa så vet inte vad jag ska göra,
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 01:44 PM   #140
Romosanul
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorin_nsk View Post
Hello,

I have a BMW e90 320d from 2005 with Comfort Access (keyless go) and I have experienced the same problem. After a week in the parking lot, my car got the yellow lock error and would not start for 3 days. I should mention as i think it is very important that the battery went weak and this most probably triggered the problem. I changed the car's battery and still yellow lock error. But this morning I went to have another try and the error was gone and the car started with no problem....and no error.

I I have read in this forum the problem might come back as this is a ELV locking system common issue.

I will be back with updates

Regards !
Sorin
ROMANIA

Hello my friends, my name is Mihai. I'm from Romania and I own a BMW E90 from 2006. I'm using it from 6years now. One night this summer my dear 👿 devil lock the steering wheel and a had to tow it at home. Just getting it down my crazy car starts without any errors stored in ecu. After Christmas happened one more time but this time a had to let it rest for three days. One error was stored: A0BD output wake-up line for pt can. After three days it was possible to use it til the end of January. From then was practically impossible to start it. After reading this post, thank you for the good and precise instructions, I've fallow all the instructions, clean the lock and did a visual inspection of it. Everything was like new. Then I have read the post of sorin_nsk and indeed was the door handle. I have keyless entry. After disconnect the Handel the car started without problems. I've done some more testing inserting the cable in the handle/no start locking steering pictogram, disconnect the cable start like new. In conclusion thanks to all for helping me. Good luck to all!
Appreciate 1