E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Headlight coding 2009 e92 3series

06-26-2022, 02:14 AM   #1
staticmaker
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 Coupe

Headlight coding 2009 e92 3series

Sorry if I'm posting incorrectly. This is first post and this forum is huge and just learning my way around.
I bought a 2009 328i E92. Previous owners were careless with it.

Prev owner was in a slight wreck that damaged the DrSide headlight. They installed a new driver's side headlight. This headlight doesn't work (angel eyes do work). When I first got it I discovered a single red wire that prev owner tried to jump from one light to the other to make it work (obviously does nothing). I removed it with no changes. I don't know if this wire caused any issues but I replaced all the bulbs and only passenger side low and high beam work.

I will likely change the module but before I do that I am wondering if this headlight needs to be coded to the car? I bought an OBDlink-LX and am getting ready to get the bimmercode pkg.

thanks in advance and hope to help someone else if I can
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 11:51 AM   #2
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

No, it should work.
Sometimes the adaptive modules have to be coded but the ballast and bulb should work if everything else is good.

You can try resetting the frm counters.
The frm will stop sending power to lights if it senses a short and it must be reset.

You can swap modules from right to left to verify the module is bad.

Check for any breaks in wires leaadinf up the lights.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 10:24 PM   #3
staticmaker
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 Coupe

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serf27 View Post
No, it should work.
Sometimes the adaptive modules have to be coded but the ballast and bulb should work if everything else is good.

You can try resetting the frm counters.
The frm will stop sending power to lights if it senses a short and it must be reset.

You can swap modules from right to left to verify the module is bad.

Check for any breaks in wires leaadinf up the lights.
Thanks for your reply! "ll likely be getting to know everyone here in short time. lol. This car has a plethora of issues. What can I say? I fell in love with that model years ago but I ended up giving that one away. These are hard to find so when I found this one, I had to have it. It does run great but has a cyl 5 misfire that I'm trying to figure out but even so, this car is a dream to glide around in.

But anyway....No breaks in wires. ... just adaptive error and no headlight. I installed new bulbs . I'm going to order a new module for testing. I have a feeling that's what it is. As I said, prev owner replaced the D/S headlight fixture and all other bulbs in it function properly- even the cornering light. But... doesn't the module control only adaptive lighting? If so, then it could be module not being coded (if it's supposed to be). Here's a funny question, what actually does "coded" mean? Is it one of those settings in the OBD that can be altered? Like "clear codes" and see if the bulb lights? Or does it reset it somehow and match the pt# to the car? Wish I understood that
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2022, 09:02 AM   #4
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

The car has an FRM module. This controls your lights and windows and I think some other stuff.
Coding is when you go into the FRM settings via OBD and change them. You could tell the frm to stop scanning for a bulb, to turn a certain bulb off or to change the vins on any new modules added.
This is so whatever you module you install, has the same vin (yours) as everything else.
This goes for every module/computer the car has.

You do need an obd KDCAN cable and software capable of coding.

I’m sure there’s a better explanation of it out there.

Sorry, I meant to say ballast. The ballast controls the light and the adaptive module controls the adaptive functions. You could swap ballast or bulbs from one side to another.
You could also swap headlights from one side to another to verify all the wiring is correct.

There are multiple reasons as to why you could have an adaptive error and it is best to scan the car to see what codes you have.
Appreciate 0