E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Incorrect fuel protection system and (lack of) Australian fuel filler nozzle standard

10-18-2009, 03:51 AM   #1
Beejay
Oil Burner
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d 2009

Garage List
Incorrect fuel protection system and (lack of) Australian fuel filler nozzle standard

Interesting problem today as we embarked on a fun drive up Putty Road: Trying to fill our 320d up at the BP on Singleton Rd, Wilberforce, we couldn't insert the diesel fuel nozzle into our tank as the 'incorrect fueling protection system ( http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18964 ) disliked the diameter of the nozzle.
First a bit stumped by the experience, we called up BMW Road Assist thinking something is broken (yes we did read the manual and nothing is in there to even warn us of this). As we waited we examined the opening closer and encountered the mechanism described in the link above.
With the help of a screwdriver we were then able to move the second spring so that the fuel nozzle could operate the first and open the barrier, letting the nozzle insert into the tank - and we were away.

Just wondering if anybody had this kind of experience with a recent BMW diesel. We've been filling up plenty since we got the car in June and this was the first station were we had a problem. There is a workaround, but I'd have thought that a) BMW mentions something in the manual about the IFPS and b) there is a standard for the nozzle size depending on the fuel type.
Cost us half an hour of the day, which still ended up being a beautiful drive up and down one of the best driver roads around Sydney....
320d | 6sp Auto | Tasman Green | Beige Dakota Leather/Burr Walnut | Memory Mirror & Seats | Electric Lumbar Support | Alarm | Active Cruise | Adaptive Xenons | Business Navigation with iDrive | Hi-Fi with iPod Interface | Already over 29000 km !

Last edited by Beejay; 10-19-2009 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: Corrected Address of Servo
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 09:22 AM   #2
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

I have experienced the same problem at a BP with a Chrysler 300 CRD (ie the one with the Mercedes Diesel, which presumably has similar fuelling hardware to the BMW as they are both Euros). BP is the only place I have had this problem though...

With my heart set on a 330d sometime in the near future, I am interested in the responses of others too.
      10-18-2009, 05:49 PM   #3
samchuang33
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY 16 440i & MY20 X7 30d

Apparently in europe, they have different nozzel design for different fuel. Therefore making it difficult for u to put petrol in diesel cars and diesel into petrol cars. I think maybe the pump that BP at ur servo is the wrong design nozzle by chance or something. In Australia, there is no standards or guidelines regarding this so petrol stations might put in wrong nozzles without knowing that our BMW have different inlet design that only accept particular types.

That is what my sales rep told me anyway. But my parent still manage to put in unleaded into my diesel X5 before so still need to double check when u fill up. Cost me Fxxken $700 for stealership to take car apart to drain out the unleaded. Then i found out, aparently, diesel engines can run on a mixture of 25% unleaded and 75% diesel (not 100% on percentage here so don't quote me here) and still be safe to combust normally. So next time, i think i will just get a few empty tanks and drain it out myself.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 07:15 PM   #4
eff1dude
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY17 M3 Competition S/S

I had this exact problem at my local Caltex the first time I went to fill up my 320d. When I pulled up at the diesel pump, I found that the nozzle was hitting the metal flap that prevents you using a normal unleaded pump by mistake.

I got the station attendant to come out - no idea. I rang BMW roadside assistance - no idea. I rang the dealer I had bought it off - they had no idea & said to bring it in to get checked out ! Anyway, turns out that the Caltex had put a normal unleaded pump nozzle on their diesel pump instead of the larger diameter diesel nozzle. The safe fueling system was just doing it's job & stopping me filling it up. Sort of backs up what samchuang33 said, seems like servos can stick any nozzle they like on a dielsel pump.

I've never been back to the original servo, and have never had the problem again at any subsequent servo I've been to.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
Beejay
Oil Burner
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d 2009

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eff1dude View Post
I rang BMW roadside assistance - no idea. I rang the dealer I had bought it off - they had no idea & said to bring it in to get checked out !
Yes, we got a call from the dealer where we bought the car two days later and he apparently had no idea this could happen and was happy to learn about it owing to our experience.
BMW Road Assist obviously goes back to the dealer if one engages them for a problem, which is good news. They should also, however, build a knowledge base from the calls they're getting to be able to help out in such instances...
320d | 6sp Auto | Tasman Green | Beige Dakota Leather/Burr Walnut | Memory Mirror & Seats | Electric Lumbar Support | Alarm | Active Cruise | Adaptive Xenons | Business Navigation with iDrive | Hi-Fi with iPod Interface | Already over 29000 km !

Last edited by Beejay; 10-20-2009 at 10:35 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 03:24 PM   #6
milkchaser
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i, 2009 BMW X5

New link to cleanmpg.com thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejay View Post
Interesting problem today as we embarked on a fun drive up Putty Road: Trying to fill our 320d up at the BP on Singleton Rd, Wilberforce, we couldn't insert the diesel fuel nozzle into our tank as the 'incorrect fueling protection system ( http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18964 ) disliked the diameter of the nozzle.
cleanmpg.com redid their website. The correct link to this forum thread is now:
https://www.cleanmpg.com/community/i...threads/18964/
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 09:57 PM   #7
ADEe92
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 320d sport plus edition

Garage List
2013 320d  [0.00]
1988 320i with M30B35  [0.00]
Nice to know - never have had the issue, but the diesel nozzle is always bigger than the petrol nozzle.

The other one to watch is you sometimes can’t fill up at hi-flow only pumps as those nozzles are bigger again for trucks and won’t fit. I hadn’t realised there are two sizes of diesel pumps and tried to avoid the queue by going into the diesel truck section of the servo.
Appreciate 0