E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Handbrake adjustment problem

03-22-2022, 05:47 PM   #1
greyE92coupe
Rep
Drives: grey e92

Handbrake adjustment problem

Tried adjusting the Handbrake today after consulting the haynes manual and looking at some online videos.I removed handbrake gator first and pushed in spring under the handle with screwdriver until it locked. Started with offside wheel and moved hub adjuster downwards but could not get the wheel to lock. Went all the way to endpoint with the adjuster in both directions and it didnt seem to be having any effect. Tried nearside wheel then, nothing either, anyone know what the problem might be ? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 06:12 PM   #2
Daviebrown
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330D

Turn the adjuster with the drum removed until there is a slight resistance to refit the drum.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 08:19 AM   #3
greyE92coupe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviebrown View Post
Turn the adjuster with the drum removed until there is a slight resistance to refit the drum.
was hoping I wouldn't have to take off the disc, hasn't been off since new in 2008, be difficult to get off I presume, I'll give it a go anyway
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 08:31 AM   #4
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyE92coupe View Post
was hoping I wouldn't have to take off the disc, hasn't been off since new in 2008, be difficult to get off I presume, I'll give it a go anyway
If your discs have been on for 14 years, be prepared for the need to change them once you get them off. I predict you'll find the rear faces (the one's you don't see) will be very seriously corroded...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 02:53 PM   #5
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 Lci, Vectra B V6

You can turn the adjuster if it isn't seized through a wheel stud hole
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 05:23 PM   #6
Karlos20945
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 320d SE

Garage List
2010 BMW 320d  [0.00]
As others have said, if they've not been off since 2008, they probably would benefit from some sort of overhaul. Check that things aren't worn or seized. Only then can you be sure everything is ship shape.
      03-24-2022, 10:26 AM   #7
Daviebrown
Private
Rep

There’s probably no liners left on the shoes, the inside of the drum face will be in a mess also.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 06:23 PM   #8
greyE92coupe
Rep

Tried removing the disc, not a hope, I'd imagine it would need a good belt from the inside and its very difficult to do this with the Car only on axle stands.
I got the handbrake action back to where it was anyway. I had the nearside adjuster moved down alot trying to get the wheel to lock when it should have been moved up, opposite way to the offside. Regarding the discs, look alright from what I can see, The car is only on its 2nd set of brake shoes since new. Current ones put on at 72K miles, 94k on the car now.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 05:06 AM   #9
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Best way to loosen the disc is to hammer round the edge of the disc. Doing so from the inside risks damaging the wheel bearing by over-stressing it. Key to your comment about the state of the discs is '...from what I can see...'. I guarantee with discs of this age once you remove them, the inner face will be heavily corroded.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 09:44 AM   #10
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 320D ES

The handbrake shoes do not rub on the inside of the drum because you only pull the handbrake on when you are stationary. Because of that the inside of the drums rust badly. The normal brake pads make the discs shiny by rubbing on them, the handbrake on the BMWs doesn't rub, handbrake shoes last forever but the drum corrodes from the inside and needs to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 10:37 AM   #11
Karlos20945
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 320d SE

Garage List
2010 BMW 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadaska View Post
The handbrake shoes do not rub on the inside of the drum because you only pull the handbrake on when you are stationary. Because of that the inside of the drums rust badly. The normal brake pads make the discs shiny by rubbing on them, the handbrake on the BMWs doesn't rub, handbrake shoes last forever but the drum corrodes from the inside and needs to be replaced.
Yes it's unusual for the handbrake shoes to wear out, as you say, they only come into play when stationary. I'll occasionally pull the handbrake up at low speed just to keep any wear inside the disc hub at bay. I changed my discs, pads and shoes at 85k and there wasn't much wear to the shoes at all.
      03-26-2022, 01:19 PM   #12
Daviebrown
Private
Rep

Problems i see with handbrake shoes is the lining coming unstuck from the shoe due to rust and jamming the wheel when reversing.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2022, 07:47 AM   #13
greyE92coupe
Rep

To update this I managed to remove the Disc using this method I found on youtube, worked very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMuHKDI00rw

The adjuster was stuck in the fully retracted position. I had watched a youtube video which incorrectly stated the adjuster should be moved down to expand the shoes when it should actually be moved up. I removed the springs, shoe retaining pins allowing the shoes themselves to come off. The adjuster was easy to unjam once off. The drum and shoes all looked ok. I applied some copper grease where the edge of the shoes makes contact with the backplate and put everything back together, replaced the disc and moved the adjuster to the fully expanded/up position which locked the wheel, then moved it down 6 or 7 clicks until the hub moved freely. Handbrake much improved now.

https://flic.kr/p/2npMRHq

https://flic.kr/p/2npMH2A
Appreciate 1