E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > No boost after 3k revvs (hybrid turbo)

05-06-2022, 06:02 AM   #1
wannaseemdead
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d E92

No boost after 3k revvs (hybrid turbo)

Hi guys, I've been tryna deal with this boost issue for the past 2 months.

Initially, I had my OEM turbos fail shortly after I bought the car possibly due to a remap (deleted DPF). I replaced those with hybrid ones and had it remapped with protune from Liverpool (it was a file remap, not rolling road).

Now the problem is that whenever I put my foot down on rolling start, the car would drop gear and rev to redline and it will literally not be gaining speed and stay stuck at a certain MPH and be stuck at 5k rpm until I change to DS and back or press the brake. Yes, it doesn't change gear and yes, it doesn't stop revving even if I don't touch the throttle.

If I put my foot down just before the floor, it will drive fine up to 3rd gear on high revs and after that I just seem to have no boost and the speed will build up very slowly.

I've checked the actuator, it shows 17 threads but I've heard that hybrids should be set to 21 threads - is this true?

I took it to the garage the other day and found that the vacuum reservoir is bypassed due to one of the plastic bits on which the vacuum hose goes onto is snapped - would that cause all these issues?

Honestly I have no idea what it could be, I just want to get it fixed and get rid of it before any more problems appear

Last edited by wannaseemdead; 05-06-2022 at 06:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 12:09 PM   #2
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Sounds like you're having a transmission issue.
      05-09-2022, 09:22 AM   #3
wannaseemdead
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnxguy View Post
Sounds like you're having a transmission issue.
I would agree with you if the issue was consistent, but it seems like whenever I drive the car alright for a few days, I can put my foot down once or twice until the issue reappears. The car has also got 79k miles on the clock - do transmissions really go that early?

I just had the car checked at the garage, and they said that the actuator on the big turbo was leaking and they've corrected it now.

They've also said that the actuator on the smaller turbo is leaking, though I'm not sure about this one as as far as I'm aware there is only one actuator in the M57? Correct me if I'mg wrong.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 02:54 AM   #4
wannaseemdead
Rep

Guys I need your advice.

I just got the car from the garage, the mechanic said that the actuator on the big turbo was not set correctly, and that my small turbo doesn't provide any boost until 2.5k.

The problem is that I had boost before 2.5k before I brought the car to the garage, and now they tell me that the small turbo is on its way out because it wasn't calibrated correctly and I driven it like that for two months? I believed him at first until I opened the bonnet.

The turbine switchover rod used to have 17 threads exposed and now I can only see about 4-5. I'm just wondering if that's the correct way of calibrating the rod for hybrid turbos?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 08:37 AM   #5
maryjane
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Msport 3 Snail.

No...typically the 16-18 is the correct spot. Does the big changeover cannister retract at start up? There are a few tests I can walk you through to determine issues. PM me
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 03:05 PM   #6
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Do yourself a favour and watch these vids. Explains how things should be working and how to test them.

https://www.youtube.com/user/alphadevyat