E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > External Wastegate

07-20-2018, 09:54 AM   #1
ranthum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Looking to Buy

External Wastegate

I'm working on getting some piping made for an external wastegate. I was wondering if there was any interest from anybody else to have one made.

Why do you want a wastegate? The stock internal wastegate can't keep boost in check even with stock fueling. As far as I know, tuners are backing off on fueling to keep boost in check. Adding meth or nitrous can cause boost to really spike.

Why keep boost in check? Isn't more boost always better? Because stock turbos were not designed for it. They run way outside of their efficient range and this can damage the turbo. It also make LESS power at higher boost levels because of the additional heat. For example, 35psi at 100° F has a slightly higher air density than 40psi at 175° F. When turbos are inefficient they introduce a lot of heat and that heat causes the air to be less dense (even if it's at a higher psi). The experts can chime in, but I believe that anything over about 35psi on stock turbos doesn't increase power.

Matt Whitbread sells a turbosmart high pressure external wastegate that is set for 35psi out of the box. The piping uses the EGR exhaust port and then dumps it out of the bottom of the car in front of the motor. Ideally it would be routed back to the downpipe, but that is a lot of fab (and requires modification of your downpipe).

If this interests you, pm me and I can get pricing on a batch.
Appreciate 0