Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > I'm thinking of getting the smallest possible wheels I can - good idea or bad idea?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

01-24-2019, 12:05 AM   #1
Ricapar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E93 328i

I'm thinking of getting the smallest possible wheels I can - good idea or bad idea?

I have a 2009 e93. I love the car, but man does it take a beating on New Jersey's horrible roads.

I'm on my winter tires right now on 17" wheels from Tire Rack. 3 out of 4 wheels are bent.

My OEM 18" wheels - 2 out of 4 are bent.

Hitting any pothole is a mentally excruciating experience (on top of whatever seen or unseen damage it's causing), so on my commute to and from work I'm hyper alert to every little indentation on the road, making an otherwise easy commute really stressful.

My thought, and what I would like some feedback on: I don't care about "looks" and just want a comfortable ride. According to what I can configure on TireRack, it seems I can go down to 16" wheels and use the extra space to get some more rubber between the wheel and the road.

My hope is that by this, there's a little bit more tolerance for hitting the inevitable pothole, and a reduced chance of breaking/bending more wheels.

Am I misguided in this assumption, or has anyone else gone down a similar path?
      01-24-2019, 12:24 AM   #2
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Theoretically, yes, a smaller diameter rim with more available tire sidewall will offer more cushion against potholes, thereby mitigating how much of the impact energy is sent to the rims...

That said, if you're bending 17" wheels wrapped in soft winter tires, I don't think 16s are going to be your saving grace. Perhaps being more vigilant on road conditions and avoiding the potholes when possible is a more concrete solution.

If you haven't already, I'd start with ditching runflat tires.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2019, 11:49 AM   #3
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Smaller wheels AND taller tires will definitely help.

Also, if you are on stock dampers, you're probably crashing into the bump stops as well...that likely isn't helping. Upgrade your dampers to something different as well and you'll see a world of improvement.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 12:49 PM   #4
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
I assume the 17s are aftermarket? In theory smaller wheels will help for sure, but sometimes it won't matter if the pothole is big enough. I cracked a 16 on a hole in NYC.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 02:52 PM   #5
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Sounds like you need a jeep where you live...
Appreciate 2