E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > No screenwash!

01-27-2019, 09:00 AM   #1
jayartibee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E91 325i, E87 116i, Jaguar XJ8

No screenwash!

Apologies if you've read this elsewhere-

On my '07 e91 I have no front screenwash. It was intermittent but has stopped completely.

No pump, no wiper cycle when stalk is pulled. I have checked inner wing earthing point but all seems fine. Do I now dig deeper to the pump?

Thing is, if the pump connection is poor, would it stop the wipers actuating via the wipers control box?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 11:21 AM   #2
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

The wipers should still work even if the pump is dead. I'd check the fuses next.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 02:30 PM   #3
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
The wipers should still work even if the pump is dead. I'd check the fuses next.
this.

or the stalk.

if you have ista you can trigger components for testing, or see the status of the stalk switch to know if it's broken.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 03:18 PM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayartibee View Post
... '07 e91 I have no front screenwash. It was intermittent but has stopped completely. No pump, no wiper cycle when stalk is pulled. I have checked inner wing earthing point but all seems fine. Do I now dig deeper to the pump? Thing is, if the pump connection is poor, would it stop the wipers actuating via the wipers control box?
You don't say what model or engine you have, and there MAY be some differences in the wiper circuit depending on that. Obviously fuse layout and other circuit differences may exist depending upon whether your build date is BEFORE 3/1/2007 or AFTER.

Here are circuit diagrams for 328i/xi late 2007 (AFTER 3/1/2007) and early 2007:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...inputs/v7LrQ7s
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...inputs/pucv4B4

I understand you to say that the wiper arms do NOT move when washer activation is attempted, but you are NOT saying that wipers don't work when activated in all other ways (Slow, Fast, Single stroke, Intermittent, etc.)

There is NO dedicated fuse for the Windscreen Washer Pump AFAIK. The schematic shows power being provided by the JBE (A4010a). Since you have the fender liner out to check the ground, I would also check for 12V+ at Pin #1 of Connector X107 (Black wire) while someone else activates the washer stalk with igntion on. Of course also check for continuity to ground at Pin#2, Brown wire of X107. EVERY BMW owner should be "armed" with a DDM (Digital Multimeter) and know how to use it.

Given the history of intermittent operation, I would expect a bad wire/connection or failing pump motor.

As for whether the Wiper arms should move if the Windscreen Washer Pump does NOT operate, it may well be (seem to remember this reported on one of the forums ;-) that at least on models with Rain-Light Sensor, the Wipers are activated by that sensor, so they ONLY operate if the Washer puts fluid on the windshield. I would be disappointed if BMW Electrical/Electronic Engineers (or the folks who sold BMW on the Rain-Light Sensor ;-) did NOT incorporate that "bonus" to prevent windscreen damage by dry blade operation.

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 03:29 PM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
...I have checked inner wing earthing point but all seems fine. Do I now dig deeper to the pump?
I believe I misinterpreted your reference to the "earthing point" and upon closer reading understand you to mean Ground Point X166 as shown in this TIS "Installation Location"
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...703/1VnXd8t4ZD

Of course what is important is what Voltage & Ground are present at Connector X107 at the Pump.

As a "Lifetime Jaguar Owner" I don't know how I missed "inner wing"

George
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 09:06 AM   #6
jayartibee
Enlisted Member
Rep

So I had to replace the rear washer pump because it had seized completely. The fact that the motor was effectively a short circuit appeared to shut down the rear wiper too.

Installing a new washer pump has brought the rear wiper back into action - but bizarrely, seems to have also cured a non-working rear glass opening. Could the wiper ECU have shut down voltage to that area of the tailgate??
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 10:26 PM   #7
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
So I had to replace the rear washer pump because it had seized completely. The fact that the motor was effectively a short circuit appeared to shut down the rear wiper too. Installing a new washer pump has brought the rear wiper back into action - but bizarrely, seems to have also cured a non-working rear glass opening. Could the wiper ECU have shut down voltage to that area of the tailgate??
I'm confused -- I thought your original post in this thread reported a FRONT SCREEN washer failure.

In any event, it would appear that ALL the components in question: (1) front screen washer pump (M4), (2) rear window washer pump (M95), (3) rear window wiper motor control (A36), AND (4) rear window lock (M96a) are ALL powered or controlled via the JBE (A4010a), WITHOUT any dedicated fuse for any ONE of those components, at least related to their control circuits (there IS a separate fuse, F48, powering the rear wipe/wash control unit). Here are pertinent TIS Schematics:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...inputs/v7LrQ7s
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...tlputs/dWHzxgC

So, from your description it would appear that a short or excessive draw in ANY of those components can shut down some or all of the others. Since the JBE is essentially a "black box" in the TIS circuit diagrams, we can't confirm that.

So, to be clear, you are stating that the (1) Front Windscreen Pump, (2) Rear wiper, and (3) rear window lock ALL failed to operate properly as a result of (4) a short or excessive draw in a seized rear washer pump? Please correct me if I have misunderstood.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience,
George
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 07:38 AM   #8
jayartibee
Enlisted Member
Rep

How right you are - I'm confused too! so many wash/wipe problems.

The main problem at the back was a nearly-seized wiper spindle, which was causing the rear wiper motor to go into shutdown - which appeared to kill the rear glass release.

At the front, a seized wash pump caused the front was/wipe cycle to become inop.

Blimey!

Last edited by jayartibee; 02-23-2019 at 12:56 PM..
Appreciate 0