E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Questions about wanting to "update" my detailing process

08-25-2018, 09:55 PM   #1
EndOfAnEra
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW X3 35i Msport + S2000

Exclamation Questions about wanting to "update" my detailing process

Okay so, over the last few years I have developed a process I used when detailing my cars.

First will be the claybar before I bust out the porter cable with a white pad. I use Menzerna during this step (I think it was 1300). Then after all of that is buffed I put on Blackfire sealant.

I want to change my process. I have been reading about ceramic coatings lately and would really like to get some for my 335i. Can you recommend a good ceramic coating?

Should I still go over the car with a white pad and Menzerna before applying the ceramic coating? Can you recommend something that might work better in its place than Menzerna? Any recommendations/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
      08-25-2018, 11:20 PM   #2
spazzz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi MHD&XHP,2013 X1 35i

My main polishes are Menzerna 400,3500 & 3800.

Menzerna is known for leaving polishing oils that need to come off the paint before applying a coating.
CarPro Eraser, Optimum paint prep are what I use. Some guys use a 15%IPA solution for the wipe down.
Plenty of quality microfibers are needed to avoid spreading oils instead of removing.

If I am coating I will always finish with 3800 on a white Lake country force pad.
To finish I burn through 2 wipe downs and 15 towels(Cobra jr)

For CarPro Cquartz products you could use Essence extreme gloss enhancer before their coatings .
For Optimum Gloss coat you can use Hyper polish.
Both of these examples supposedly don't need a wipe down because of the "synergy" although I would anyway. Nothing like a guarantee.
When applying the coating on a clean prepped surface it just glides on.

It all depends on what you want to spend on a coating. There is a lot of hype floating around as far as longevity claims.
My coated car lasts over a year easily because of a garage and a substantial investment in decent microfibers,car shampoos and booster products.

Other than that dribble, I am glad I went to a coating. I haven't switched from Optimum Gloss coat because I know it is easy to use and what to expect.
I use Opti-lens on my headlights and also gloss coat the wheels.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 10:25 AM   #3
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

There are a lot of really great coating options out there, and it can be a very difficult decision on which one to choose. Depending on which article or forum thread you read, you may here one product is excellent and then someone else say it was total garbage. Long story short, there is no "perfect" product, some people may love a specific coating while another person does not, so do not get too caught up on trying to find the "best" coating available as it is an unachievable task.

What Coating Should I Buy? by Zach McGovern

The general process for applying a coating is as follows:
  • Thoroughly wash the vehicle
  • Decontaminate the vehicle with detailing clay (and chemicals such as iron and tar removers if needed)
  • Polish away any imperfections or blemishes in the finish to your desired level of clarity
  • Cleanse the paint of any residual products or oils by wiping with a prep solvent
  • Apply the paint coating per the manufacturer's instructions

This video gives a general overview of coating installation, however remember to follow the specific manufacturer's instructions with regards to application times, cure times, layering times, etc. as they may vary greatly from what is recommended in the video.

Let me know if you have any questions!

-Zach
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 03:44 PM   #4
ckanderson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

I'm very happy with Opti-Gloss. I have installed it on 3 of my cars now. It last at least 2 years, provides exceptional gloss, and any rainstorm basically becomes a free car wash, the dirt just falls off.

Pick up some Hyper Seal while you are at it and use it as a drying aid when washing your car. Intensifies the gloss and protects the paint.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 02:26 PM   #5
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
There are a lot of really great coating options out there, and it can be a very difficult decision on which one to choose. Depending on which article or forum thread you read, you may here one product is excellent and then someone else say it was total garbage. Long story short, there is no "perfect" product, some people may love a specific coating while another person does not, so do not get too caught up on trying to find the "best" coating available as it is an unachievable task.

What Coating Should I Buy? by Zach McGovern

The general process for applying a coating is as follows:
  • Thoroughly wash the vehicle
  • Decontaminate the vehicle with detailing clay (and chemicals such as iron and tar removers if needed)
  • Polish away any imperfections or blemishes in the finish to your desired level of clarity
  • Cleanse the paint of any residual products or oils by wiping with a prep solvent
  • Apply the paint coating per the manufacturer's instructions

This video gives a general overview of coating installation, however remember to follow the specific manufacturer's instructions with regards to application times, cure times, layering times, etc. as they may vary greatly from what is recommended in the video.

Let me know if you have any questions!

-Zach
I'm a fan of Crystal Serum Light. Also of Detailed Image, but they take too much of my money...
Appreciate 0