E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > About to go YOLO on my car

06-02-2013, 11:38 PM   #1
ricerider187
Ricebanger
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Coupe

About to go YOLO on my car

So I am going to buy a dual action polisher from harbor freight
$...48!!!!!!!!!!
read a lot of good reviews

cant really afford the PC that everyone recommends

anyways....

I am thinking of starting with an orange pad (light cutting) then the yellow (polisher), then finish it up with some sealant and wax (finishing pad, black one).

What products do you recommend??? I am only doing this to remove some light spider webbing and some scratches left from me trying to scratch x 2.0 (which worked, but I scratched it with a dirty sponge prepping)

Unless you guys can recommend something else??? is the orange and light cutting pad necessary?

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 01:12 AM   #2
KimIsAGuy
Rep
Drives: E90 Jet Black

I personally use the Porter Cable, idk about the Harbor Freight brand... The polisher, pads, and products makes a difference. Just have to play around and find the right combinations.

I use the Porter Cable, Orange Pad with Detail Addict G-2500, Red Pad with Detail Addict G-3500, and Black Pad with Detail Addict Carnauba/Sealant Wax.

That's my 2 step polish.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 11:57 PM   #3
ricerider187
Ricebanger
Canada
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momowho View Post
I personally use the Porter Cable, idk about the Harbor Freight brand... The polisher, pads, and products makes a difference. Just have to play around and find the right combinations.

I use the Porter Cable, Orange Pad with Detail Addict G-2500, Red Pad with Detail Addict G-3500, and Black Pad with Detail Addict Carnauba/Sealant Wax.

That's my 2 step polish.

what color is your car? so I should 2 step polish (as in 2 abrasives, one mild cut, one for polishing?)

I cant afford the PC homie.

i hear the HF isn't too bad... with a 6" plate I might have to use 6.5" pads?? is this bad?

thanks for taking the time to reply, really appreciate it.

RR187
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 12:40 AM   #4
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

To get the most from PC style DA, you should consider using a 5" backing plate and 5 1/2 " pads. As far as pads...... get as many as you can. Ideally, you want to have 3-4 of each (Medium cutting pad, light cutting pads, Polishing pads, and finishing pads).

No singular approach will work on every paint system. Every car is different. You always want to use the least aggressive method to get the job done. The combination of the machine, pad, polish, and the technique are all factors in determining the overall aggressiveness of an approach. Most hobbyist who are new to machine polishing tend to focus way too much on products. Good technique could overcome inferior products but no products could overcome bad technique.

Look up some videos from the "Junkman" on Youtube and visit some detailing forums such as Autogeekonline.net and Autopia to get more information.

Good Luck.
      06-04-2013, 03:02 AM   #5
PTek Will
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
Good technique could overcome inferior products but no products could overcome bad technique.
Ahhh and the right tool makes all the difference
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
KimIsAGuy
Rep
Drives: E90 Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricerider187 View Post
what color is your car? so I should 2 step polish (as in 2 abrasives, one mild cut, one for polishing?)

I cant afford the PC homie.

i hear the HF isn't too bad... with a 6" plate I might have to use 6.5" pads?? is this bad?

thanks for taking the time to reply, really appreciate it.

RR187
I have a jet black E90. Its a pain to take care of, but once you get down to how to maintain it, its not that bad.

If you're planning to detail your car often, lets say once every other month or once a month, I say save up for it because I detail my car once a month. 30min clay (because I clay it once a month that's why its 30mins), 2 step polish (Detail Addict G-2500 then G-3500), and 2 layers of Detail Addict's Sealant Wax. I personally think its a good investment.

Detail Addict G-2500 is more abrasive than the G-3500 (obviously, not trying to be sarcastic in any way), but its nothing too abrasive where it can damage your paint (generally speaking of course, nothing is completely fool-proof.) Polish goes from abrasive to least abrasive, you don't polish it twice with 2 abrasive level polish because in that case you're not finishing down the paint down. Polishing essentially scratching up your car, you want to go most abrasive to get the correction then move down to clean up those scratches and refine the paint more and more as you move down the abrasive level.

Take a picture of your paint condition.

The 2-step polish step is just a generality, its a good starting point. See if you can do the 2 step, maintain it afterwards, see if that's the correction you want, then you move on from there. Its a good practicing point just to get the hang of things then work on getting better and moving up to more abrasive polish.

If you start with the abrasive one first and you don't really know what you're doing, you can mess up your paint.

I use a 5.5" pads and a 4-3/4" backing plate. Sizing of the pad matters, the bigger the pads are the harder it is for you to get into smaller spaces (ie. A-pillar, door handles, license plate area, etc).

Like the guy who said, skills does matters, but a good set of tools can make a difference. With limited tools your skills are limited, so if you're going to take it serious, save up for a nice orbital. That way tools aren't your limiter, you are, and as humans we can become better at what we do as learn and progress.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi

The HF polisher is actually pretty nice, it's only downside is the backing plate, don't even consider using it. Immediately trash it and get a lake country backing plate and you'll be good to go.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 12:18 AM   #8
ricerider187
Ricebanger
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7786 View Post
The HF polisher is actually pretty nice, it's only downside is the backing plate, don't even consider using it. Immediately trash it and get a lake country backing plate and you'll be good to go.

Thanks guys!! I SINCERELY appreciate it.

Someone posted about a 10$ 5" backing plate on Amazon.. guys a SAINT!!!

I watched Junkman on youtube and even commented, that's ma boy

I watched countless videos I think I have technique down, I am fairly competent.

So I am going to get the HF DA polisher (only 48$, if it breaks, I will sue)
then 3 cut pads, 3 polish pad, 2 finishing pads.

What would be the LEAST abrasive means to remove light swirls?

I see it quite clearly in the light...

Can a polish with cutting pad remove swirls/lines from poor drying/fkin soft brush car wash???

then I would polish it with polishing pad??

I guess I will clay my car while the stuff comes in??

RR
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:

I watched Junkman on youtube and even commented, that's ma boy

I watched countless videos I think I have technique down, I am fairly competent.

So I am going to get the HF DA polisher (only 48$, if it breaks, I will sue)
then 3 cut pads, 3 polish pad, 2 finishing pads.

What would be the LEAST abrasive means to remove light swirls?

I see it quite clearly in the light...

Can a polish with cutting pad remove swirls/lines from poor drying/fkin soft brush car wash???

then I would polish it with polishing pad??

I guess I will clay my car while the stuff comes in??

RR

The HF polisher is better than the PC in my opinion, so there's no reason to save up for a weak old PC. Since you're in Ontario pick me up a HF polisher from the states as well and I'll help you out with all your q's and product selection
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #10
ssmith96
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

The HF actually has a higher power motor the then PC. I use only Lake country ccs pads with the lake country backing plate. Should be good. I use M105 then Menz SF4500 then whatever wax/sealant I feel like that day ahah.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 12:18 AM   #11
ricerider187
Ricebanger
Canada
Rep

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
The HF polisher is better than the PC in my opinion, so there's no reason to save up for a weak old PC. Since you're in Ontario pick me up a HF polisher from the states as well and I'll help you out with all your q's and product selection
Doc,

I ordered from harborfreight for my birthday (tomorrow) and called the 24 hour number

OH MY FKIN GOD.....

I AM NOT A RACIST BY ANY MEANS...

.... BUT THE PERSON ON THE PHONE....

IT WAS LIKE THEIR FIRST DAY...... SPEAKING ENGLISH!!!

SO FKIN FRUSTRATING, HAD TO SPELL MY NAME LIKE 10 TIMES

JESUS FK I SWORE LIKE 20X on the phone.

Honestly no time or patience for that.

anyways,,, I got a secret to share with you all.

10$ backing pad 5", fits the HF and PC!!! 10$ DELIVERED!!!

but before I share my secret..

I need help.. is there a one step polish??

What cheap, easy to use polish do you guys recommend?? Do I need compound?? Can I just use polish + cut pad? I will do the "test area"

There are lots of microscratches, and some vertical lines from be using a sponge (IDIOT)

and by the rear license plate it's a warzone.

I am going to buy 4 medium cut pads, 4 polish pads, 2 finishing pads

and I found a place to buy cheap pads as well (EBAY), I'd imagine they're good... plus i got 4 so YOLO BROLOS

can one polish glass??????

I am excited to get all my stuff in then take a Saturday or Sunday to do it...

I have some "detailer spray wax by simoniz" can I use this with clay?

I am broke right now trying to be a lawyer.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 02:52 AM   #12
Dr. G
Major General
Rep

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Doc,

I ordered from harborfreight for my birthday (tomorrow) and called the 24 hour number

OH MY FKIN GOD.....

I AM NOT A RACIST BY ANY MEANS...

.... BUT THE PERSON ON THE PHONE....

IT WAS LIKE THEIR FIRST DAY...... SPEAKING ENGLISH!!!

SO FKIN FRUSTRATING, HAD TO SPELL MY NAME LIKE 10 TIMES

JESUS FK I SWORE LIKE 20X on the phone.

Honestly no time or patience for that.

anyways,,, I got a secret to share with you all.

10$ backing pad 5", fits the HF and PC!!! 10$ DELIVERED!!!

but before I share my secret..

I need help.. is there a one step polish??

What cheap, easy to use polish do you guys recommend?? Do I need compound?? Can I just use polish + cut pad? I will do the "test area"

There are lots of microscratches, and some vertical lines from be using a sponge (IDIOT)

and by the rear license plate it's a warzone.

I am going to buy 4 medium cut pads, 4 polish pads, 2 finishing pads

and I found a place to buy cheap pads as well (EBAY), I'd imagine they're good... plus i got 4 so YOLO BROLOS

can one polish glass??????

I am excited to get all my stuff in then take a Saturday or Sunday to do it...

I have some "detailer spray wax by simoniz" can I use this with clay?

I am broke right now trying to be a lawyer.
They ship to Canada?
And yeah, all the backing plates for other DA's will fit, the 5" is a good choice.

You could one step polish, but honestly you'll just end up wanting a bit more correction so just go for the 2-step, it will only cost a bit more and you will be good for a while as long as you wash it properly in the future. If you do the one step you'll eventually end up doing it again anyway so might as well do it right the first time.

Spray wax won't really make a good clay lube so maybe you should get some optimum no rinse and you can use it to wash the car as well?

Now for the compounding and polishing, if you want to get the job done in budget this is what I will recommend:

Step 1: Meguiars M100 or M105, the m105 is cheap, but a bit more of a pain in the ass to use, I think the m100 runs circles around it.
Use Meguiars Microfiber cutting discs for this step

Step 2: Megs 205 on a white polishing pad - 205 will have enough cut to clean up the first step and it finishes down pretty good on Black Sapphire.

After this keep the paint sealed or waxed with whatever you prefer.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 02:54 AM   #13
Dr. G
Major General
Rep

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith96 View Post
The HF actually has a higher power motor the then PC. I use only Lake country ccs pads with the lake country backing plate. Should be good. I use M105 then Menz SF4500 then whatever wax/sealant I feel like that day ahah.
This is a winning combo for black sapphire bmw's!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 05:37 AM   #14
ssmith96
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
This is a winning combo for black sapphire bmw's!

And jet black! The real key is using the Menz, it finishes extremely well and doesnt leave holograms
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #15
ricerider187
Ricebanger
Canada
Rep

thank you guys!!! I went the welfare route and bought the following...

it was my birthday but i fkin had to pay 2600$ for law society fees and i was already hurting... i blame the bimmer :P had i kept my 350z, i'd have racks.

but 335i> 350z any day... well most days... the 350z is a pretty nice car i reckon

HF dual action (60$
3 orange cutting pads from HF (15$
4 blue polishing pads from HF (20$
2 finishing pads from HF (10$
terry towel bonnet from HF (3$
SHIPPING ---- 45$ or something ridiculous

meguiar's m105 (couldnt find m100) --10$
m205 --- 10$
meguiar's black wax --- 10$
Meguiar's water magnet waffle microfiber - 8$
3x polishing plush microfibres - 5$
SHIPPING WAS 28$

chinese clay bar (counterfeit 3M) 5$
leftover simoniz detailing spray 10$

all I need is some cheap decent sealant.

I hope to get it by saturday (unlikely), so prolly saturday after that.

Regardless, I can't wait!!

My plan is to try a small section and use m105 and polish pad, or m205 and cut pad or m205 and polish?? to see if it removes swirls. Which has more cut, m205 on a cut pad or m105 on a polish pad?

if it doesnt remove swirls then I will have to m105 + compound pad?

worst part --- some girl's friend i was with fckin leaned on my car n scratched it with her fine ass. FKIN bTCH

lucky she was hot, otherwise i'd have to smack a btch
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #16
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
thank you guys!!! I went the welfare route and bought the following...

it was my birthday but i fkin had to pay 2600$ for law society fees and i was already hurting... i blame the bimmer :P had i kept my 350z, i'd have racks.

but 335i> 350z any day... well most days... the 350z is a pretty nice car i reckon

HF dual action (60$
3 orange cutting pads from HF (15$
4 blue polishing pads from HF (20$
2 finishing pads from HF (10$
terry towel bonnet from HF (3$
SHIPPING ---- 45$ or something ridiculous

meguiar's m105 (couldnt find m100) --10$
m205 --- 10$
meguiar's black wax --- 10$
Meguiar's water magnet waffle microfiber - 8$
3x polishing plush microfibres - 5$
SHIPPING WAS 28$

chinese clay bar (counterfeit 3M) 5$
leftover simoniz detailing spray 10$

all I need is some cheap decent sealant.

I hope to get it by saturday (unlikely), so prolly saturday after that.

Regardless, I can't wait!!

My plan is to try a small section and use m105 and polish pad, or m205 and cut pad or m205 and polish?? to see if it removes swirls. Which has more cut, m205 on a cut pad or m105 on a polish pad?

if it doesnt remove swirls then I will have to m105 + compound pad?

worst part --- some girl's friend i was with fckin leaned on my car n scratched it with her fine ass. FKIN bTCH

lucky she was hot, otherwise i'd have to smack a btch
Okay.... we need to see a picture of the GF prior to any more advice.

M205 on polish pad < M205 on Light cutting < M105 on polish < M105 on Light cutting< M105 on Heavy cutting pad.

When working with M105....make sure your work area is not too large. M105 is a SMAT product and it doesn't break down so there is a bit feel in the work cycle. Overwork the product and you will have a hard time taking it off. I strongly recommend you try the Ultimate compound first. It is the little brother to M105 and it is much more user friendly. M100 or M101 generally are not available in stores but you can get them easily online.
      06-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #17
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Weekend warrior
IMHO, you wasted $10 on finishing pads. I never apply sealants with polisher/pad. At the point of needing to apply them, my baby is already nice and clean, and I want to feel her smooth skin so I apply with my palm and finger tips. Taking the wedding ring off, I am nearly positive I won't add any marks with the hand. Its also a great final inspection time.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #18
glachhman
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

I m105, m205, then seal or wax.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 01:21 AM   #19
ricerider187
Ricebanger
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
Okay.... we need to see a picture of the GF prior to any more advice.

M205 on polish pad < M205 on Light cutting < M105 on polish < M105 on Light cutting< M105 on Heavy cutting pad.

When working with M105....make sure your work area is not too large. M105 is a SMAT product and it doesn't break down so there is a bit feel in the work cycle. Overwork the product and you will have a hard time taking it off. I strongly recommend you try the Ultimate compound first. It is the little brother to M105 and it is much more user friendly. M100 or M101 generally are not available in stores but you can get them easily online.
hahahah.. maybe later

okay man i listened to your advice and got ultimate compound...

i dont know why, but I did.

how is ultimate compound easier to use?

and dang I didnt know I could apply wax with my hands, kinda callused to dont wana scratch the CC

do you guys reckon I should sealant + wax??? or just wax? or just sealant.

what decent sealant can I get at walmart or Canadian tire?

thanks guys

cant wait to go yolo on my car

if I get good, I am going to charge other people ^_^

hopefully I want scratch their porsche or Im driving away bi turbo style
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #20
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
hahahah.. maybe later

okay man i listened to your advice and got ultimate compound...

i dont know why, but I did.

how is ultimate compound easier to use?

and dang I didnt know I could apply wax with my hands, kinda callused to dont wana scratch the CC

do you guys reckon I should sealant + wax??? or just wax? or just sealant.

what decent sealant can I get at walmart or Canadian tire?

thanks guys

cant wait to go yolo on my car

if I get good, I am going to charge other people ^_^

hopefully I want scratch their porsche or Im driving away bi turbo style
If you're using M205 , the next logical step up is not necessarily M105 - there are plenty of products between these two. Ultimate Compound is such a product. It was derived from M105 and is way more user friendly on a DA - much longer buffing cycle, much less dust, and generally a far easier wipe off.

If you're a novice to DA buffing, even with all the great things that have been said about it (and it really is pretty fantastic stuff), M105 is probably not the best choice. M105 can be kind of finicky on a DA and it's learning curve can be fairly steep when used on that tool. If you've read all the basic intro to DA articles, watched a bunch of YouTube videos of people using a DA, etc and then jump in with M105 you may end up being a bit frustrated.

People have this natural tendency to reach for the biggest hammer they can find because they believe it will get the job done faster. M105 is one of the most aggressive product Meg makes - it is designed primarily for use with a rotary buffer and either a wool pad or very aggressive foam pad to remove sanding marks as heavy as 1000 grit in fresh paint.

I hope this helps....
      06-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #21
MetsFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 G37x

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:

You're welcome

I have all the parts but I'm waiting till I move this summer to a house with a garage before I get to detailing my car.

I can't wait to see your results, since I will basically be using the same equipment.

Where did you get the knockoff clay? I will probably be needing some more and would be great if I can save some money on it.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #22
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 E90, 2011 E90

What's up with the insane shipping cost? Are you getting it shipped to Canada?
I order detailing parts all the time and pick if up st my mailbox whenever I'm buying other car parts.
With the amount of shipping you paid you should have just got the stuff at eshine.

Check out auto detailing solutions. They have very good prices and free shipping if you order you reach a certain amount.
Also check out Car Pro US and autoality
Appreciate 0