E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Bumpy Tires - New Struts? Or should I upgrade BIG?

05-06-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
Googlyamnesiac
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520D

Bumpy Tires - New Struts? Or should I upgrade BIG?

So I went and had my car checked out the other day as I know I need some new front tires. I was debating whether to buy a full set of new rims and tires but the back two tires are pretty much new. However, when they inspected it then said that the inside edge of one of the rear tires is ‘REALLY bumpy’ and they would actually recommend replacing the rear tires at some point (they weren’t hard selling me).

They said to rectify it I should ideally buy two new rear struts and mounts and replace all four tires along with a full alignment. Does this sound right?

I was wondering if anyone could recommend me what parts I should pick up (2006 330 xi – currently stock 17” wheels)? They seemed really honest and said their parts prices might not be the cheapest and I could gladly source them myself if I wanted (along with the tires) and have them do the labor.

This then got me into this forum and I’m wondering if I’m buying new struts, should I invest a bit more on springs etc and get a whole better ride?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 10:39 AM   #2
rowingone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330 xi

Get the Koni (yellow for handling or FSD for ride quality) shocks and struts . .your rear is shocks and front struts . . get new bump stops and front strut mounts. Expect to pay around $600 for all 4 plus installation plus $150 for bump stops and front strut mounts.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 11:27 AM   #3
Googlyamnesiac
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520D

If finances won't stretch to all four, would it make any sense at all to get two Koni rears with new mounts. Then change all four tires and say in a few months get two Koni fronts?

Or would I have a terrible ride on those few months??
Appreciate 0