E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Indy Shop upgraded DME - custom tune gone?

09-15-2018, 02:21 PM   #1
kylet101
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Indy Shop upgraded DME - custom tune gone?

Hi all,

I have a custom BPC tune on my car which I loaded when I did the 3IM upgrade.

I took my car into an indy BMW shop to have some work done, and they upgraded some of the car's modules while they were at it, including the DME.

Does this mean my custom tune has gone? Is it possible to use the BPC tool to load the custom tune back to the DME?

I wanted to ask first in case the custom tune flash was for a specific version of the DME.

Thanks,
Kyle
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 02:45 PM   #2
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe

if they flashed your DME, yes your tune is gone. You'll have to ask BPC whether or not it's possible to reload it.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 02:47 PM   #3
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylet101 View Post
Hi all,

I have a custom BPC tune on my car which I loaded when I did the 3IM upgrade.

I took my car into an indy BMW shop to have some work done, and they upgraded some of the car's modules while they were at it, including the DME.

Does this mean my custom tune has gone? Is it possible to use the BPC tool to load the custom tune back to the DME?

I wanted to ask first in case the custom tune flash was for a specific version of the DME.

Thanks,
Kyle
When this happened to me I could not reload the BPC tune into my car with the my genius device. It didn’t recognize my car after the Indy reflashed and My Genius wouldn’t load any tunes on it.

In the end Bob was able to get my tuner to reflash my car by having My Genius reset and unlock my device... but my stock tune was lost forever in the process.

The only tunes I have now are BPC tunes which I frankly don’t mind lol
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 03:01 PM   #4
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
When this happened to me I could not reload the BPC tune into my car with the my genius device. It didn’t recognize my car after the Indy reflashed and My Genius wouldn’t load any tunes on it.

In the end Bob was able to get my tuner to reflash my car by having My Genius reset and unlock my device... but my stock tune was lost forever in the process.

The only tunes I have now are BPC tunes which I frankly don’t mind lol
Something similar happened to me. My BPC device updated and I lost my stock tune.

Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 03:29 PM   #5
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Stock tunes can easily be reflashed. The only reason to back them up is for the convenience, and to keep you from using those handheld tuners to flash multiple cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 12:39 AM   #6
kylet101
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
Stock tunes can easily be reflashed. The only reason to back them up is for the convenience, and to keep you from using those handheld tuners to flash multiple cars.
I believe I have my tuned DME software programmed on the My Genius device. Can I hook it up to my car and try to flash it? Does the My Genius hold the entire DME software, not just parts of it?

I'm worried that the My Genius will either refuse to do anything, or screw up my DME since it will try to adjust settings on a different version than what it was originally programmed for.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 04:11 PM   #7
kylet101
Private
United_States
Rep

Quick update to close the thread. I reached out to Bob @ BPC and he advised to NOT load the tuned file that is on the My Genius.

We have to start from the beginning.
Appreciate 0