E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > The end to all Bluetooth Audio streaming threads

05-23-2016, 03:46 PM   #45
EDH328i
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVS View Post
Rocketfish DAC will be better. Or the setup I have will be even better. But anything else besides the 30pin DAC is better lol
Thanks, I'll look into both options!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 05:15 PM   #46
89mustaine
Stuff and Things
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 535i Sport W/SAT MHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDriveIt View Post
Yea, I was agreeing with you. I don't know how much those airport systems costs but I know some are around $200 and the one I saw was the size of a small netbook.

I've been trying to tell people APT-X is the way to go, but no one really listens because of the bluetooth stigma. But glad someone else figured it out ha. I believe the unit I have is pretty good, but I don't think the DAC specs are up to the one you posted. I attached a 24bit external DAC via optical and it was lacking in the low range, and seemed like a flat signal which the Logic7 system did not like and seemed unable to process the proper range for it so I ditched it and went back to the built in DAC, ended up liking it more because it emphasized the low frequency and paired well with the Logic7 system.

I'm using android and every once and a while I will get a skip or two, which I believe is my phone. The NFC feature is nice because anyone with iPhone, or android can just tap my center console with their phone and it connects them, I believe it supports up to 5 units simultaneously, but obviously just chooses the one with the latest activity to play audio.

Overall pretty happy, in my last BMW I had the latest Bluetooth at the time pretty much doing the same thing via BT->aux but the quality was just garbage and it did not auto connect. Glad BT technology has improved greatly since then.
Quote:
Very nice. What phone are you using android or iPhone?

Yeah I'm glad you're enjoying that receiver. Previous post I had meant that this is an all in one package for my needs that has a high end DAC built in so in future I wouldn't keep switching DACs like I did when I had the AirPlay option.

Also good thing all these newer products have optical out. Incase you update your AMP OR PROCESSING unit that supports optical input
Ok, just to clarify, the Rocket fish DOES have a built in DAC but its not quite as good as the AudioEngine? I'm about to pull the trigger on something to replace my basic bluetooth 4.0, right now I'm leaning towards the Rocketfish but let me know if there is new information I should consider.

Thank you in advance guys!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 06:26 PM   #47
JustDriveIt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe E92 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89mustaine View Post
Ok, just to clarify, the Rocket fish DOES have a built in DAC but its not quite as good as the AudioEngine? I'm about to pull the trigger on something to replace my basic bluetooth 4.0, right now I'm leaning towards the Rocketfish but let me know if there is new information I should consider.

I have the Rocketfish w/ APTX model. I think the built in DAC is fantastic. I had an external DAC and I connected that via Optical and I actually like the Rocketfish DAC opposed to the external DAC.

So for me, the Rocketfish was great.

However, I'm sure if you were willing to spend some money, and had a space in the car, you could buy a nicer DAC to use (I have a tube DAC I use in my home, but I'm not about to put that in my car ha). It's all about how much you are willing to pay and how much work you want to do. I like the Rocketfish because of the ease and happy with the performance.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 08:29 PM   #48
NightStalker
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDriveIt View Post
I have the Rocketfish w/ APTX model. I think the built in DAC is fantastic. I had an external DAC and I connected that via Optical and I actually like the Rocketfish DAC opposed to the external DAC.

So for me, the Rocketfish was great.

However, I'm sure if you were willing to spend some money, and had a space in the car, you could buy a nicer DAC to use (I have a tube DAC I use in my home, but I'm not about to put that in my car ha). It's all about how much you are willing to pay and how much work you want to do. I like the Rocketfish because of the ease and happy with the performance.
yup good point i was willing to spend more because i was looking for more better setup than my previous

so far me and another forum member has the audioengine B1 for our cars
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 12:38 PM   #49
89mustaine
Stuff and Things
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 535i Sport W/SAT MHD

So I bought and have been using the RocketFish receiver previously recommended in this thread. I absolutely love it. It connects quickly, the sound quality is superb, easily switch to a friends phone when needed. I have been using a Samsung S7 Edge with it until now and just switched back to Iphone.

The sound quality with the Iphone is terrible, I know it's not aptX capable but the receiver should be able to communicate in standard Bluetooth as well. It actually sounds like blown speakers when using the iphone to stream. Is there something I should do to the device to help this?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 12:56 PM   #50
NightStalker
Rep

Quote:
So I bought and have been using the RocketFish receiver previously recommended in this thread. I absolutely love it. It connects quickly, the sound quality is superb, easily switch to a friends phone when needed. I have been using a Samsung S7 Edge with it until now and just switched back to Iphone.

The sound quality with the Iphone is terrible, I know it's not aptX capable but the receiver should be able to communicate in standard Bluetooth as well. It actually sounds like blown speakers when using the iphone to stream. Is there something I should do to the device to help this?
That's what I was trying to explain earlier. Because the iPhone doesn't support the protocols for higher quality..the Audio streamer I have converts the audio in higher quality because it has a very good DAC built in. You're problem is the DAC in that unit.

Now if it supported the codecs then it wouldn't be a problem for quality.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 01:44 PM   #51
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

aptx question

aptx question
does the music that is transmitted have to come from and aptx bluetooth
device for the receiver (rocketfish or other device with aptx ) to use it and
take advantage?
Will the common smartphone be able to transmit in aptx format?
Also do the source files have to be aptx encoded or is that all done
by the hardware and codec.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 04:36 PM   #52
NightStalker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
aptx question
does the music that is transmitted have to come from and aptx bluetooth
device for the receiver (rocketfish or other device with aptx ) to use it and
take advantage?
Will the common smartphone be able to transmit in aptx format?
Also do the source files have to be aptx encoded or is that all done
by the hardware and codec.
Hardware & codec
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 04:57 PM   #53
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

So unless your phone has the hardware to transmit

a receiver for aptx is useless.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 05:09 PM   #54
NightStalker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
a receiver for aptx is useless.
read my previous posts..this is why i chose audio engine..even if Aptx is not supported the DAC takes place to produce good sound regardless..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 10:42 AM   #55
havocgb
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Comparison with GROM MST4

Hey everyone, this thread is exactly what I was looking for! Does anyone have experience with rocketfish/audioengine and a solution like GROM MST4/Denison 500S BT? I know they are way more expensive and not as 'plug n play' as the products in this thread. Also I am guessing that GROM/Denison doesn't have to do any D/A conversion as it plugs into the MOST network, so no losses there. But I am curious to see if anyone has any opinions on the sound and bluetooth connection quality on the GROM/Denison as this seems to be the most optimal option for good sound+keeping existing controls in the car working.

For me being able to use the OE controls on the steering wheel and head unit does give points to a bluetooth to iPod cable adapter. But seems like everything else about them is a hit and miss. So might just try one of them first before going with the other options. Unfortunately my 2007 BMW 328i doesn't have USB audio in

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 10:12 PM   #56
dinkyrdj
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Audioengine B1 + built in phone Bluetooth

I'm looking to improve my current setup (iPhone 6 + Aux in + Lightning cable for power from 12V adapter). The Audioengine B1 looks like a great option. One question, how well does it jive with the built in phone Bluetooth? Any experience? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 10:27 PM   #57
NightStalker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkyrdj
I'm looking to improve my current setup (iPhone 6 + Aux in + Lightning cable for power from 12V adapter). The Audioengine B1 looks like a great option. One question, how well does it jive with the built in phone Bluetooth? Any experience? Thanks!
They work independently when you get a call. Your cars Bluetooth takes over. Once call ends your music will resume
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 10:41 PM   #58
dinkyrdj
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Quote:
They work independently when you get a call. Your cars Bluetooth takes over. Once call ends your music will resume
Thanks RVS! That is great news. I'm taking the dive and going with an iPhone 7 and losing the 3.5mm jack. This sounds like a great option to let me charge my phone, play content from the phone, and use the built in Bluetooth phone.

I think I'm going to give it a try. When I do, I'll report back what happens.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 10:53 PM   #59
NightStalker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkyrdj
Quote:
Thanks RVS! That is great news. I'm taking the dive and going with an iPhone 7 and losing the 3.5mm jack. This sounds like a great option to let me charge my phone, play content from the phone, and use the built in Bluetooth phone.

I think I'm going to give it a try. When I do, I'll report back what happens.
You will not be disappointed. Just make sure you keep volume 80% on iPhone and adjust how ever you'd like on the stereo.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 11:04 AM   #60
orteeze
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 YMB F80

Which of these options offers an auto connect for Android devices? I have a cheapo adapter that I have to manually sync
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 05:28 PM   #61
NightStalker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orteeze
Which of these options offers an auto connect for Android devices? I have a cheapo adapter that I have to manually sync
The one I have auto connects instantly. Most new ones do as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 10:06 AM   #62
foxman7
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVS
Hello everyone

Wireless streaming and the quality of music are my two most important requirements. standards set too high? HELL YEAH

Having logic 7 with USB and Aux (6FL) in the center console didn't give me much of a choice at first. It was either the iPod (y-cable) connection or just a USB flash drive.

Airport express/Toslink Dac to AUX

Problems with this set up was
  • Drop out connections
  • Boot up times
  • Sometimes it would reset it self the unit(keep in mind i had all the power connections soldered accordingly and using the step down converter)

AirEnabler W/Fiio E10K USB DAC

Problems?
  • Boot up time (can be mitigated with a USB external battery supply. But the headaches of charging after depletion..)
  • Delay in Skipping Tracks (yes i don't care if its 3 seconds it still bugs me)
  • countless connection problems. dropouts in particular. while skipping songs it would either kick out of airplay mode and just play through my phone speaker or it would just pause and not let me connect to airplay at all

With advancements in Bluetooth technology there are a few products that support APTx codecs for android & has a great DAC built in.

Before i talk about my next set up id like to mention that i picked up a brand new full loaded Audi few months back that has the Bang Olufsen package w/Bluetooth streaming. The factory system sounded so good crisp and clear not to mention very loud i was mind boggled just from a bluetooth connection?

New setup: The Audioengine B1 Premium Bluetooth Music Receiver

here are some specs

Technical Features
Supports all Bluetooth-enabled devices
High-fidelity Bluetooth® with aptX® transmission and extended range
Stream high-resolution 24-bit digital audio from the Audioengine B1 to any music system.
Includes built-in AKM4396 DAC for superior 24-bit upsampled playback
Aluminum case with audiophile-grade connectors
Analog and optical outputs
2.0Vrms maximum output level

Experience stunning audio quality with aptX® coding, built-in 24-bit upsampling DAC, and extended wireless range.

High quality Bluetooth audio

The B1 features aptX coding which is an advanced Bluetooth audio codec that provides much higher-quality sound than previous versions. The B1 is backwards-compatible with all previous Bluetooth implementations so you can wirelessly stream music from any device and still enjoy outstanding sound.
Optical Output

B1 also functions as a wireless audio bridge from your device to your favorite DAC or preamp. Use the internal DAC with RCA analog outputs or connect the optical output into another DAC.

After using the AudioEngine B1 i am glad to say this is the best set up i have used so far.
  • No Lag
  • Instant Connection
  • Insane sound quality over Bluetooth
  • Optical Out
  • High End DAC
  • No boot up times

Here is the Amazon link for anyone that is interested. i paired it with RCA to 3.5MM jack and a short micro USB cable AudioEngine b1
thanks for sharing this great setup
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 07:54 PM   #63
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

Does anyone have a solution that is wireless to AUX, and works with phone calls?

Upgraded to an iPhone 7 so my current simple solution will no longer work, and my MULF died so I don't have BT for calls.

Ideally wanted to keep it all wired but it seems products are taking an age to come to market.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 08:09 PM   #64
NightStalker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalize
Does anyone have a solution that is wireless to AUX, and works with phone calls?

Upgraded to an iPhone 7 so my current simple solution will no longer work, and my MULF died so I don't have BT for calls.

Ideally wanted to keep it all wired but it seems products are taking an age to come to market.
Yes look into the company called parrot they have solutions for what your asking for. Music and phone calls from one device attached
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 08:14 PM   #65
banshee28
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT ZSP

Wow, this device looks and sounds awesome, just what I am looking for. I have the stock L7 setup now but I can use this for BT from my phone to the device, then to the Aux which I use daily. Then once I upgrade the audio system, I can simply output RCA or Digital as needed. Will post back if I get it.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 08:23 PM   #66
NightStalker
Rep

Upgrading to BAVsound ghost sub system soon. Will post up some install pics in this thread soon
Appreciate 0