E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > COBB Tuning AccessPORT BETA Stage2 Maps Available

09-22-2011, 09:22 PM   #89
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clap135 View Post
Travis
Any chance of you guys developing your own cold air intake system for the n54 series?
NOW THAT is the Million dollar question! If they do, I really hope it is a Dinan look alike for 1/2 the price. That would sell faster than they can manufacture them!
      09-22-2011, 09:32 PM   #90
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBB Tuning View Post

Hardware Requirements
Please see the hardware requirements for these Stage2 and Stage2+FMIC maps below:

Stage2+FMIC – Intended for vehicles equipped for the following hardware:
  • Requires upgraded front-mount intercooler (FMIC)
  • Requires upgraded downpipes (catted or catless are acceptable)
  • Requires Upgraded intake system (DCI, panel filter or otherwise)
  • Upgraded cat-back exhaust system recommended, but not required
Does this pertain to all platforms? I know the 335i has a less restrictive catback compared to the 135i, so I was wondering if I would be able to use this map on my 135i with all the supporting mods with the exception of a catback.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 09:33 PM   #91
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
I have a feeling that there is a lot of things not ironed out which is why these are stage 2 beta maps. Have these been tested in all climates, weather conditions and under all circumstances (i.e. long track days)? The other tunes have, let's not all jump ship and get too excited until everything is done. Remember, a tune is not an investment in the future (or at least it shouldn't be), when everything is figured out and I mean absolutely everything (meth and so forth) then we'll have a logical basis to compare off of. At the moment a lot of this is theory and a ton of hype.
You realize you tune of choice has been in beta for like a year now right? Constant upgrades so I guess the same applies.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 09:40 PM   #92
turb0mik3
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Racecar

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
This has been discussed before. People have different needs for their cars: Some want a dyno queen, some want a 1/4 mile shocker, some want more predictability and smoothness, some just want stock like behavior with more power. Get with the program...
HAHA, you just described what a stage 2+ "aggressive" would do. You want dyno numbers, then you need the most power, you want a quick quarter mile, you need the most power, you want the fastest and most aggressive throttle response, prediction. You want a little more power that is stage 1. I think I am more with the program than you are.

Not to mention you see all the damn questions regarding what hardware goes with what; You think that is good for business and doesn't make the consumer confused?

I am not bashing Cobb's tuning ability, but all the options are a gimic.

HG Motorsports | Motiv Motorsport | Sparta Evolution | BBS Motorsports | Sabelt | JRZ |
NASA ST1 SoCal --- 554whp/487wtrq --- 3200lbs <<YouTube Channel w/ Race Videos>>
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 09:45 PM   #93
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clap135 View Post
You realize you tune of choice has been in beta for like a year now right? Constant upgrades so I guess the same applies.
Constant updates sure that is the nature of the business but I can tell you that my tune of choice for what it's worth is at the present time fully developed. I have a map for anything I choose sans nitrous which no one really cares for... And it has been consistently track tested, 1/4 mile tested and and tested in all weather conditions and has held its own (broke some records in fact). Sure, it's not perfect but nothing is... at least I can say everything has been done with it at the present time. I will gladly try out Cobb when all is said and done and truly happens as you and others claim but at the moment it's like listening to a politician running for reelection speak so lets not cross bridges until we get to them.
      09-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #94
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mflowt5 View Post
HAHA, you just described what a stage 2+ "aggressive" would do. You want dyno numbers, then you need the most power, you want a quick quarter mile, you need the most power, you want the fastest and most aggressive throttle response, prediction. You want a little more power that is stage 1. I think I am more with the program than you are.

Not to mention you see all the damn questions regarding what hardware goes with what; You think that is good for business and doesn't make the consumer confused?

I am not bashing Cobb's tuning ability, but all the options are a gimic.
Nope, not even close.... Some of the earlier maps were HORRIBLE for AutoX because the car had a very distinct On-Off behavior. It made it extremely difficult to modulate the power output in a predictable consistent manner.

Nothing is confusing at all! You have the maps, their descriptions and what are the hardware requirements for each. Don't mix map choice availability with consumer confusion. The vast majority of car enthusiasts in this forum know exactly what they want and Cobb is delivering!

I for one am very excited for this diverse choice of maps and their application. This is a far cry from the cookie cutter situation which other flash tuners employ! Personally, I am totally enjoying the Sport maps.
      09-22-2011, 10:02 PM   #95
turb0mik3
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Racecar

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
Nope, not even close.... Some of the earlier maps were HORRIBLE for AutoX because the car had a very distinct On-Off behavior. It made it extremely difficult to modulate the power output in a predictable consistent manner.

Nothing is confusing at all! You have the maps, their descriptions and what are the hardware requirements for each. Don't mix map choice availability with consumer confusion. The vast majority of car enthusiasts in this forum know exactly what they want and Cobb is delivering!

I for one am very excited for this diverse choice of maps and their application. This is a far cry from the cookie cutter situation which other flash tuners employ! Personally, I am totally enjoying the Sport maps.
I see your autox point because with all the power you have less controllability. I understand the stage 1 and stage 2 but there are just too many in betweens. They should have a stage 1 and stage 2, then wait for meth integration. Once again, I like Cobb tuning, just too many variables and it's confusing, haha.

HG Motorsports | Motiv Motorsport | Sparta Evolution | BBS Motorsports | Sabelt | JRZ |
NASA ST1 SoCal --- 554whp/487wtrq --- 3200lbs <<YouTube Channel w/ Race Videos>>
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 10:16 PM   #96
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Once again, I like Cobb tuning, just too many variables and it's confusing, haha.
Alright, then try this and see if it clears up the confusion:

1. Figure out what aftermarket hardware you have on your car. This determines which stage your car will run with.

2. Figure out what type of fuel is available to you. If you do not have access to 93 octane, then you should eliminate all Aggressive power levels.

3. Then decide where you will drive your car the most: is it a daily driver, an autox vehicle or a drag strip "sledgehammer".

4. Finally, select the map that has the throttle response that best suits your needs. Currently, this is possible only for Stage 1.

Is that better?

EDIT: For me, it seems like I will be doing Stage 2+ FMIC on a Sport aggression level.
      09-22-2011, 10:17 PM   #97
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

Quote:
I see your autox point because with all the power you have less controllability. I understand the stage 1 and stage 2 but there are just too many in betweens. They should have a stage 1 and stage 2, then wait for meth integration. Once again, I like Cobb tuning, just too many variables and it's confusing, haha.
Not really. There are two major stages. And a few selections within each stage. I can only think of a few different combos really. And like 4 categories.

1. Which fits better? Stage 1 or Stage 2?

2. Do you want to run the + version (FMIC dependent)

3. Do you want drive, sport, or aggressive?

4. Then you choose which throttle map you like best.

It's very simple once you narrow it down.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 10:21 PM   #98
TommyLights
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Man

Damn....no good for me if no support for meth.....I like my 400+ ride. Hope that changes with ATR....
      09-22-2011, 10:25 PM   #99
acdHQK713K
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Man this tune is money with ambient temps in the 60's
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 10:31 PM   #100
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
I have a feeling that there is a lot of things not ironed out which is why these are stage 2 beta maps. Have these been tested in all climates, weather conditions and under all circumstances (i.e. long track days)? The other tunes have, let's not all jump ship and get too excited until everything is done. Remember, a tune is not an investment in the future (or at least it shouldn't be), when everything is figured out and I mean absolutely everything (meth and so forth) then we'll have a logical basis to compare off of. At the moment a lot of this is theory and a ton of hype.
Trying not to rain on the parade but I couldnt agree more..thats exactly why they are beta and not final maps..I think there r issues that need ironing out..just wish beta testers would be more forthcoming..i mean thats how a tune improves w unobjective feedback..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 10:33 PM   #101
COBB Tuning
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Mflowt5,

The multiple choices in maps came as a result of feedback from folks on this forum, feedback from beta testers and feedback from customers. There was a lot of discussion regarding throttle response and we have been creating alternate throttle mapping to give users more choices. One thing we have learned from the response so far is that one size does not fit all in the BMW community. We are working hard to provide the choices that will meet the majority of the demands.

I can certainly see how it might be confusing for someone new to the AccessPORT that hasn't seen the progression occur along the way. We have been trying to present this information in a way that is easy to understand, but that doesn't mean it can't be improved.

I'd love to get feedback from you guys as to how the maps are presented, the usefulness of the information that is provided in the product pages and how helpful the map notes and even the forum announcements are.

I am disappointed that the choices we have provided are being perceived as gimmicks by folks that are just learning about the AccessPORT. Is there any way the presentation of this information could be improved to reduce this?

Thanks!

Gary
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 10:42 PM   #102
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

Wtf is the confusion about? If you honestly can't figure out what map to run you dont need to be messing with a tune. As soo many have said: pick your mods-> pick your octane-> pick your intended use= done, now enjoy your nearly 400whp. But, i suspect most of the people bitching dont even have an AP and are just fanboys of a competing tune
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 10:43 PM   #103
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBB Tuning View Post
I am disappointed that the choices we have provided are being perceived as gimmicks by folks that are just learning about the AccessPORT. Is there any way the presentation of this information could be improved to reduce this?

Thanks!

Gary
This is the first time I've really looked into Cobb, after seeing an increase in posts about the incoming "Stage 2". Personally I think you present your product in a manner that is easier to understand than any other tune. It's quite obvious that Stage 2 is for more aggressive setups, with straight forward requirements. And the 3 "maps" seem pretty well described, it seems clear what each level provides.

My only wish is the same thing I posted earlier - it would be nice to see dynos for the Stage 2 + FMIC Sport mode for us 91 octane guys. Sure the aggressive numbers look nice, but I'd like to know what I'd realistically be getting.
      09-22-2011, 10:49 PM   #104
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1 View Post
Wtf is the confusion about? If you honestly can't figure out what map to run you dont need to be messing with a tune. As soo many have said: pick your mods-> pick your octane-> pick your intended use= done, now enjoy your nearly 400whp. But, i suspect most of the people bitching dont even have an AP and are just fanboys of a competing tune
Good grief..there are multiple tunes making 400whp so Im not sure where this fits in here..this is about a new tune to the market and doing the due diligence required to flush potential issues and problems..

I have taken a ride in COBB stg 2 and am the first to say it feels nothing short of beastly..but what does that have to do with longevity and potential issues down the line ..i have raised some questions which have been promtly ignored..once again a valid reason to let a tune get out on the market and let others flush out the issues..please dont light the tuner war fuse here b/c that has nothing to do w why I am posting here..cant speak for others.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 11:02 PM   #105
COBB Tuning
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinrock View Post
This is the first time I've really looked into Cobb, after seeing an increase in posts about the incoming "Stage 2". Personally I think you present your product in a manner that is easier to understand than any other tune. It's quite obvious that Stage 2 is for more aggressive setups, with straight forward requirements. And the 3 "maps" seem pretty well described, it seems clear what each level provides.

My only wish is the same thing I posted earlier - it would be nice to see dynos for the Stage 2 + FMIC Sport mode for us 91 octane guys. Sure the aggressive numbers look nice, but I'd like to know what I'd realistically be getting.
Skinrock,

Thanks for your feedback.

There is a graph you are looking for in the Stage2 Map notes HERE.

We also post all of the dyno pulls up on a tool called Dyno Database Online and you can get to it at http://cobbtuning.com/dyno. It shows runs from each of the four Mustang AWD dynos we have at our different shops.

Thanks,

Gary
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 11:10 PM   #106
EastCoast335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 | 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
They delete the light for you
Ok so the light is cleared but...

Will I pass an OBD inspection? Or do I still need O2 sims to pass inspection?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 11:10 PM   #107
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 540i M, '11 Ducati M796

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
Cobb, can you guys shed some light on the intake 'requirement' for Stage2+ maps. The reason I'm asking is because a panel filter doesn't seem like it would make much of a difference. Is the concern here that stock filters might be clogged up and dirty, therefore unacceptable for use in stage 2+ maps??

I've got a full exhaust, DPs, FMIC, and want to use this 2+ map but all I have is a pristine stock panel filter.

2008 E82 N54 || Stage 2 -------- Gone to a good home.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 11:20 PM   #108
Andy1991
Perfect
Rep
Drives: Gonna be the fastest N54 xi AT

I gave the stage 2+ FMIC aggressive a try tonight. I was very impressed the power delivered in the mid-range RPM compared with stage 1. However, I had someone reading the boost on cobb while I was pulling on 3rd or 4th gear, max boost last for short 2 seconds and it was 17.2psi - 17.8psi, is it the peak psi cobb targets for? Or it varies depending on different cars? (sorry I am very noob on looking at graphs or data so can someone give me a hand?)

Overall, I am very happy to see the improvement from stage 1 and if I have chance I will see how it performs on the track
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 11:32 PM   #109
kdiggz
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdnno98 View Post
No need to be a dickhead. We have legit questions. There are plenty of us here with newer cars that aren't planning DP yet because if warranty. Cobb has numerous map variants for other platforms. I was simply asking an eta for the stage 1/FMIC map like many other people. The meth question is legit too. If I was considering meth I wouldn't even consider Cobb because there is no map on the horizon for meth integration.
A what? Wow, what a classy guy. I don't think I've been called that since second grade. I was actually trying to be a standup guy by requesting that we focus on the positives instead of being so negative and begging for different maps than what we were so graciously provided. All of these questions have been answered already. Feel free to buy a procede if your only requirement of a tune is some sort of meth integration. Today is a day to celebrate stage 2! I'm sure I can speak for everyone in here when I say HURRAY!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 11:38 PM   #110
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 540i M, '11 Ducati M796

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdiggz View Post
A what? Wow, what a classy guy. I don't think I've been called that since second grade. I was actually trying to be a standup guy by requesting that we focus on the positives instead of being so negative and begging for different maps than what we were so graciously provided. All of these questions have been answered already. Feel free to buy a procede if your only requirement of a tune is some sort of meth integration. Today is a day to celebrate stage 2! I'm sure I can speak for everyone in here when I say HURRAY!!!

2008 E82 N54 || Stage 2 -------- Gone to a good home.
Appreciate 0