E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Car is quick enough but feels like a sedan

04-30-2014, 04:26 PM   #23
matty088
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Tks for the ideas
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 08:58 PM   #24
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

+4 on the Bilstien B12 kit. I added some M3 controls and HP Auto swaybar links as well. Set me back (not including labor) $1300, but the car feels awesome. No roll, great turn in feel throughout, at a cost of a slightly noisier ride. I scrape the undercarriage on over-zealous speed bumps though
      04-30-2014, 11:43 PM   #25
jaymesbry
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Got the matching eibach pro kit with matching dampers and got M3 front control arms done.

Parts total was about 1000.

Definitely satisfied. Comfortable enough for the commute but turns so much better now
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 01:27 AM   #26
Ghostriderf80
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Just a Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty088 View Post
I put a Cobb and dps in my 335i coupe and I must say it's pretty fast. I will do a fmic shortly then call it a ball game. While the car is pretty fast it still drives like a sedan and this hurts the fun factor I think. I dont think the car is balanced between power and handling. In fact it may almost be dangerous in that the car gets up to triple digit speeds fairly quick but the car doesn't feel stable and certainly doesn't inspire confidence.

Is there a way to get the car tighter, sportier, and ultimately more fun to drive? Or are we limited due to the geometry/weight/softness of the car?

I am looking for basic Bolton items. I am not looking to reform the entire suspension. Are there any Big Bang for the money suspension parts?
Is your car just regular suspension? Or the M-Sport? The difference is ridiculous. M-Sport drives very close to an M3, however its not as flat in the corners or as direct.

Start w a Bilstein kit. If you still feel its crap, go for the M3 bits, which will add significant cost/labour. I don't have the rear subframe bushings, but I hear it makes a big diff on the 335i due to the ridiculous amount of torque it puts out.

My mate went w the M3 bits on the 130i, w the BBK from BMW PE. Waiting for verdict as he is still fluffing around w the parts being ordered.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 09:25 PM   #27
mankytron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

I think you will get the biggest bang for the buck with good tires (pilot supersports) and m3 front control arms and m3 rear subframe bushings and any other m bushing in the rear you can replace. ecs tuning sells a m3 rear bushing kit for about 430. I think doing shocks and springs first is a mistake if you still have all the sloppy stock bushings in place. The stock sport suspension will work pretty good with the m3 pieces, all for under 1000 in parts.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 12:41 AM   #28
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty088 View Post
I put a Cobb and dps in my 335i coupe and I must say it's pretty fast. I will do a fmic shortly then call it a ball game. While the car is pretty fast it still drives like a sedan and this hurts the fun factor I think. I dont think the car is balanced between power and handling. In fact it may almost be dangerous in that the car gets up to triple digit speeds fairly quick but the car doesn't feel stable and certainly doesn't inspire confidence.

Is there a way to get the car tighter, sportier, and ultimately more fun to drive? Or are we limited due to the geometry/weight/softness of the car?

I am looking for basic Bolton items. I am not looking to reform the entire suspension. Are there any Big Bang for the money suspension parts?

Whelp, mine's totally solid, even top down, up to 150 mph. You can do what I did, which is proven to work in my application and many others who've done it, or attack it piecemeal.

But you won't get the whole effect w/o the whole retrofit. That's life!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 12:44 AM   #29
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Oh, and be certain your alignment's spot-on. IMPORTANT!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 05:57 PM   #30
lafuerza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Went through same thing except on stock power I wasn't confident in the car. Depending on your budget minimum get new shocks and struts that can actually give you some control (won't be perfect due to slop in bushings but will lessen the pogo). I went all in with TCKline DA shocks, Swift Springs (400/700), M3 front and rear bits including subframe bushings. All I can say is holy smokes, completely different car ... very well planted.

You don't need to go all out but shocks will make a big difference as well as just the front m3 bits for a more connected feel.

Also lose the run flats and get some good tires. Personally like Michelin Super Sports and Bridgestone RE-11s. Plenty of other good choices.
Appreciate 0