E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Current options on CP/BOV replacement

06-18-2018, 09:18 AM   #1
milfriez
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 TiAg 335xi

Current options on CP/BOV replacement

I bought a 2nd hand Stett CP and Synapse BOV a couple years ago from a member on here. The Synapse has started to rust at most of the bolts, so I think a rebuild is out of the question. Also, it does not seat very well onto the Stett CP, and only one screw will actually tighten onto the flange, and I can't seem to find a good O-ring to fit inside it anymore. I think it's on its way out.

The Stett CP is a solid piece, but the rubber pieces that clamp to the throttle body is a real PITA to attach, as you tighten the clamp it slides down and eventually off the TB, only pinching the rubber. Typically it takes 3-4 attempts of shoving the clamp on with one hand and tightening down the V-band with the other hand.

Questions
Are the rubber seals/v-bands the preferred method these days? Or do the C-Clips hold up just as well?

Seeing the price of a single snyapse BOV is about on par with a completely new CP w/BOV from some vendors, should I stick with Synapse, or scrap the entire setup in lieu of a totally new CP and BOV?

I go totally new, what is the gold standard these days? Something that will fit with the current DCI's.

Does TiAL still require tapping the manifold for a bigger opening? If so, has anyone had any experience with this?
https://vadersolution.com/products/v...=8159560466523

Just looking for ideas on where to go from here. New turbos coming in 2 weeks, so want to have everything else working in top shape.

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 09:31 AM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

I would avoid the Synapse. Tial still requires tapping. It's because the stock intake manifold inlet is too small. Tial requires a good pull on vaccum to function optimally. If you want to avoid tapping the manifold you can always just run HKS or DV's as they aren't as picky about the vacuum. It would still benefit on BOV/DV set up to tap your intake manifold though. You can tap your manfiold for a lot less then any kit that you need to purchase. All you need is a barbed fitting for ~$5.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 10:28 AM   #3
milfriez
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
I would avoid the Synapse. Tial still requires tapping. It's because the stock intake manifold inlet is too small. Tial requires a good pull on vaccum to function optimally. If you want to avoid tapping the manifold you can always just run HKS or DV's as they aren't as picky about the vacuum. It would still benefit on BOV/DV set up to tap your intake manifold though. You can tap your manfiold for a lot less then any kit that you need to purchase. All you need is a barbed fitting for ~$5.
The price isn't so much the concern as much as the PITA it is to take everything apart to get the intake manifold off. Then the fear of cracking it while tapping it, and then having to replace that also. On my 2007 everything plastic is fragile and brittle.

The last time I took it off was to do the HPFP replacement, and thought "boy I'll be surprised if this thing ever goes back together again. And I remember trying to get it seated on all the bolts evenly was a patience tester.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 10:38 AM   #4
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

just get a vrsf or er charge pipe.

It reuses the oem c clip. I have the vrsf charge pipe and didn't have any issues. its a pain getting on the first time since it literally only fits at one specific angle. but once its on there its secure.

both brands are easier to resell when you decide to move onto a different car as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 10:40 AM   #5
320IN54
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i, 2021 BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by milfriez View Post
The price isn't so much the concern as much as the PITA it is to take everything apart to get the intake manifold off. Then the fear of cracking it while tapping it, and then having to replace that also. On my 2007 everything plastic is fragile and brittle.

The last time I took it off was to do the HPFP replacement, and thought "boy I'll be surprised if this thing ever goes back together again. And I remember trying to get it seated on all the bolts evenly was a patience tester.
Vader solutions has something for people who dont want to tap their intake manifold. Its an adapter that sits below the MAP sensor on top of the intake manifold and all the is needed is just a screwdriver.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 10:50 AM   #6
milfriez
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotPwned View Post
Vader solutions has something for people who dont want to tap their intake manifold. Its an adapter that sits below the MAP sensor on top of the intake manifold and all the is needed is just a screwdriver.
Yea I linked to that above, just wasn't sure if anyone had used it before? Also, looks sort of awkward sitting high on top of the manifold.

I have run new 4mm lines all over, so maybe I'll take my chances with the 4mm lines and then go from there? If it poses an issue then look into tapping past that point.

I am looking for the most simplified install and maintenance at this point. I have dumped so much time and money into this thing recently, I would like to get to a point where I can enjoy the car. It's been non-stop maintenance, repairs, fixes, blood, sweat and tears since I got it 2 years ago. I fix one thing, something else breaks, I upgrade a part, only to have some other major failure elsewhere a week later.

July after new Pure's are in place, I'm going to hope and pray that I can finally enjoy it again and not feel like I'm driving a straight 6 with no boost.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 11:01 AM   #7
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:

It's pretty hard to crack the intake manifold but I understand your concern.

I guess you've answered your own questions here though on which route you want to go

But let me know if we can be any further assistance.

You can try running the 4MM lines at first and see how it responds. If you have issues then you know at least what the issue likely is.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 11:57 AM   #8
milfriez
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post

I guess you've answered your own questions here though on which route you want to go

But let me know if we can be any further assistance.
I guess I sort of did, I just wish there was an easier way then spending another $500 on CP/BOV when I already have a CP. Is there any way to put a TiAL onto a Synapse flange?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 01:22 PM   #9
Paanzerfaust
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Quote:
I guess I sort of did, I just wish there was an easier way then spending another $500 on CP/BOV when I already have a CP. Is there any way to put a TiAL onto a Synapse flange?
I know this isn't answering this specific question, but I would definitely check out the new VTT charge pipe if I was you. $69 for just the pipe right now since its brand new which is obviously a lot cheaper than most cp options, and I think you can get a new Turbosmart BOV bundled with it for like $300 from them.

Personally I think anyone who doesn't already have a functioning CP setup or isn't set on using DVs should go that route now that it's an option. I know people still like to hate on VTT from the early days (especially on this forum) because of some of Tony's old posts but if anyone is well versed on the N54 platform, it's Tony tbh. Especially regarding twin setups.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 01:33 PM   #10
320IN54
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i, 2021 BMW M2C

Quote:
Yea I linked to that above, just wasn't sure if anyone had used it before? Also, looks sort of awkward sitting high on top of the manifold.

I have run new 4mm lines all over, so maybe I'll take my chances with the 4mm lines and then go from there? If it poses an issue then look into tapping past that point.

I am looking for the most simplified install and maintenance at this point. I have dumped so much time and money into this thing recently, I would like to get to a point where I can enjoy the car. It's been non-stop maintenance, repairs, fixes, blood, sweat and tears since I got it 2 years ago. I fix one thing, something else breaks, I upgrade a part, only to have some other major failure elsewhere a week later.

July after new Pure's are in place, I'm going to hope and pray that I can finally enjoy it again and not feel like I'm driving a straight 6 with no boost.
I actually do have it installed because I switched the Tial BOV setup which wasnt pulling enough vacuum. it works pretty good and sits pretty good with plenty of space so it doesnt hit anything.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 01:58 PM   #11
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm only aware of adapters that turn Tial Flanges into Synapse Flange.
Appreciate 0