E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > A fresh attempt at dealer-paid walnut blasting under warranty

06-27-2014, 03:04 PM   #45
DieselRacer
BMW Advanced Diesel, 2011 BMW 335d M sport...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychismo View Post
I gotcha. I would let the CBU go until it causes an SES light. Then it's on them to fix it. I had pretty much everything related to my intake replaced along with walnut blasting after throwing an SES light. Now I know everything is fresh even at 35k miles.
Im at 52k, my car had 2 injectors replaced at 20k but not sure why, I have to look, it was not CBU related, my concern, is if I don't throw a light under warranty im screwed, and with my luck the day after it expires my light will go off...
      06-30-2014, 10:01 PM   #46
Jhayd11
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Challenge here is what happens when SES light comes on at 50100 miles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skychismo View Post
I gotcha. I would let the CBU go until it causes an SES light. Then it's on them to fix it. I had pretty much everything related to my intake replaced along with walnut blasting after throwing an SES light. Now I know everything is fresh even at 35k miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 10:38 AM   #47
Nushibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335D

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Update! Got news from my SA that the CBU cleanup will only be met 50/50. But I dont know if its from BMW NA or the dealership. Also any parts in addition to the CBU will be at cost to me. So much for a warranty :/ ill be waiting for a call from NA to fully good will this car. They claim its not a manufacture defect but that of poor fuel quality etc. Hence it will not be warrantied. WHICH is stupid so I will pursue this further. In the mean time the offer stand after my Injector repairs so i will go ahead and just have it fixed and wait. If anyones got advice let me know. Im still waiting for a BMW NA rep to call me.
      07-01-2014, 11:35 AM   #48
DieselRacer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nushibo View Post
Update! Got news from my SA that the CBU cleanup will only be met 50/50. But I dont know if its from BMW NA or the dealership. Also any parts in addition to the CBU will be at cost to me. So much for a warranty :/ ill be waiting for a call from NA to fully good will this car. They claim its not a manufacture defect but that of poor fuel quality etc. Hence it will not be warrantied. WHICH is stupid so I will pursue this further. In the mean time the offer stand after my Injector repairs so i will go ahead and just have it fixed and wait. If anyones got advice let me know. Im still waiting for a BMW NA rep to call me.
That is what my SA told me, no way will they cover CBU or related problems, only moving parts with the extended warranty... we need a list of who has had this covered under warranty the SA who approved it and why so others can walk into bmw with paperwork in hand showing how their is a big contradiction out their on this...
      07-01-2014, 02:19 PM   #49
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselRacer View Post
That is what my SA told me, no way will they cover CBU or related problems, only moving parts with the extended warranty... we need a list of who has had this covered under warranty the SA who approved it and why so others can walk into bmw with paperwork in hand showing how their is a big contradiction out their on this...
All that would ultimately do is ruin any chance of the SA's who have approved it from ever doing it again. The logic is backwards.

Best bet is to take it in when SES lights come on, and just drive it otherwise.

My attempt in starting this thread was to communicate the idea and the potential for concern from BMW NA. We will see.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 02:23 PM   #50
DieselRacer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinla335d View Post
All that would ultimately do is ruin any chance of the SA's who have approved it from ever doing it again. The logic is backwards.

Best bet is to take it in when SES lights come on, and just drive it otherwise.

My attempt in starting this thread was to communicate the idea and the potential for concern from BMW NA. We will see.
Im with ya on this one, im waiting for my light to come on now...
      07-01-2014, 02:55 PM   #51
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nushibo View Post
They claim its not a manufacture defect but that of poor fuel quality etc. Hence it will not be warrantied. WHICH is stupid so I will pursue this further.
Stupid indeed. No shit BMW that the diesel fuel quality in the US is simply atrocious. The piss-poor emissions system they slapped in our vehicles doesn't quite do the job. If they knew our diesel fuel quality was crap and CBU was inevitable, then why didn't they have a clean-up procedure in place earlier like the gassers? Me thinks someone in the long-term QA lab was f**king off and thought the bs emissions system would reduce CBU.
JBD @ 100% | KW ST Coilovers | M3 rep. front bumper | 888Concepts AE Upgrade | GP Thunder 7500k fogs | Cyba 4" carbon tips | BSW Stage 1 | APEX ARC-8 W/ Michelin PSS | Ziza LED interior | Weisslicht LED side lenses | Sprint Booster | Euro side mirrors | M-Sport semi-conversion | Coded | LOTS of carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 03:17 PM   #52
Nushibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335D

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureHaze View Post
Stupid indeed. No shit BMW that the diesel fuel quality in the US is simply atrocious. The piss-poor emissions system they slapped in our vehicles doesn't quite do the job. If they knew our diesel fuel quality was crap and CBU was inevitable, then why didn't they have a clean-up procedure in place earlier like the gassers? Me thinks someone in the long-term QA lab was f**king off and thought the bs emissions system would reduce CBU.
I'm with you with that one. Also as a future engineering student I hate the whole design a product to fail at said interval which is what they did here but thats business ethics. They knew we have piss poor fuel, high emission standards and so they gave us a crap system to cost or force us to trade up as most of us have done. Also if the system does reduce CBU someone should be fired. Whose bright idea was it to stick the exhaust back into the intake. Thats like taking a sewage plant and running it the sewage back into the clean water in order to save energy and meet a minimum requirement of cleanliness. Anyways since I have the car I might as well enjoy it. So far the injectors have recouped most if not all I paid in warranty expense. At this point lets keep the ses lights rolling until solutions are discovered. Like the work of tdi and the other fellows taking steps into their own hands. There's a repair facility close by that does cleaning ill see how much that costs. As of now 1100 from BMW dealership+ anything they discover wrong.

Last edited by Nushibo; 07-01-2014 at 03:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 02:56 PM   #53
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep

I dropped my car off at the dealer two days ago. Waiting on a response of course... But the service manager still wanted to drive it for a few days to verify my mpg. It's been a few do I'll update on their response.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 04:39 PM   #54
daveN007
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
Bitter owners. Even when the SIB was actually posted some members were still crying that it would be thousands of dollars. I said about $1k or less. More than gassers but not much.

Misery loves company

SI B11 03 14.
That $5k to $10k number didn't come out of thin air. It was what was being quoted at the time. Plus, if you are paying for walnut blasting AND intake cleaning out of warranty you are still looking at closer to $2500.

Every 40-50k miles????

I love the car enough to take that with a
      07-10-2014, 10:03 PM   #55
BMW1983
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Now we know the real reason behind the ECO credit....save 4K up front so you might not feel so bad giving it back later......just thinking....
2016 328i
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 04:38 PM   #56
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Got it back with 6 new injectors. I'll report on mpg soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 02:11 PM   #57
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinla335d
Got it back with 6 new injectors. I'll report on mpg soon.
Howd that happen? Thought your injectors were fine
He said there was no SES, but when he static tested or something like that, he found them to be "faulty". Replaced all six.

I'm averaging 30-32 with 50/50 driving, shifting with paddles in DS as per usual. Certainly a 7-9 mpg increase deserves credibility on the injector swap, but not sure how it was ever approved.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 07:37 PM   #58
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
My dealer wants your dealers contact info. Can you pm me?
All you really need is the following statement:
"Customer states fuel consumption is poor, progressively lower. Customer authorizes XXXXXXX to test drive car for diagnosis.
Installed 13 53 7 808 089 :B1SA-Injector Qty:6
Connected battery charger and performed short test, found no faults in DDE.
Checked engine sensor values for any abnormalities. Found fuel injector quantity adaptation values excessively high. Ran injector test plan, found injectors faulty. Replaced all 6 injectors, performed calibrations, reset adaptations and road tested OK. No other faults found"

It was a $3,800 job according to my SA.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 02:09 AM   #59
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i LCI

I'm not aware of the same issue on the UK cars. I have 45k miles and going strong. I run Shell V Power Diesel and get an oil change done every 10k miles.

Has anyone tried Teraclean ? is supposed to de carbon chamber, inlet, injectors and DPF etc
      08-13-2016, 02:11 PM   #60
MrGonk
Rep

Sorry for resurrecting a relatively old thread, but I'm wondering if there's any settled consensus on whether or how the decarbon procedure and/or other things that tend to go with it (new injectors, PDF, EGR, etc.) can be gotten from a dealer under warranty now that the related SIBs have been out there for a while now.

I have a CPO 2011 335d. The warranty will be up one year from now, as will the BMW extended service plan that came with it.

I don't have an SES going off, and I actually haven't in the roughly one year and roughly 8,000 miles I've driven it since I bought it. However, I'm worried that I am getting some CBU because my MPG just have not been especially good and my throttle response has not been very linear at all, especially at low RPMs.

For one thing, I cannot get it to go over 33 MPG highway no matter how I drive it and how favorable the conditions. For another, my city and average MPG have been very bad compared to both the EPA estimates and what people have said they've been able to get in normal driving.

In pure city driving, I'd say I'm averaging 18 MPG. To the extent that I do mixed driving without taking road trips, I'd say a good number for me would be 20-22 MPG in like 70/30 city/hwy driving.

So of course I'm wondering about CBU and my main concern is that I get to September 2017 without an SES light going off. In short, I'm pretty convinced the car would benefit from a decarboning and who knows what else, but I don't have anything concrete to say to my dealer, so if I get any kind of resistance from them, I've got nothing. I haven't had it long enough or driven it far enough to be certain that my MPG or power are getting noticeably worse over time, but it doesn't really feel right and the last thing I want is to need a decarboning, EGR and a bunch of new injectors after my protection runs out.

Is this something well enough settled now that dealers aren't really going to fight over it too much anymore? I have all of the relevant SIB documents and I've read my warranty and service plans, so I have little doubt whatever typical fixes might be appropriate would be covered, but I just don't have anything to tell them other than "I suspect i have CBU and I want you to look at it because I don't want to wait a year for my SES light to go off only to discover then a condition I think exists now."

I don't know. Maybe that'd be good enough. The dealer's been very accommodating, there are multiple other dealers nearby, and since the SIB's been out for a while, they may not have any trouble getting paid by BMW NA. Would that be worth trying?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 09:00 AM   #61
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Am also interested in responses as I have 59k miles, extended warranty, and slipping MPG.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 09:28 AM   #62
SkellyJelly
Registered
Rep

MrGonk,

I know that carbon cleaning is covered under CPO warranty. You should be fine when the SES light eventually turns on, and it will. If your dealer is as accommodating as you say, then why not ask them to take a look? Just be prepared to pay for the labor time if they find nothing. If they do find carbon and the intake needs to be cleaned, then I see no reason why it would not be covered under CPO.

335dFan - I don't want to give you bad information, but if you don't have a CPO warranty then you might be out of pocket on that repair. According to the SIB, the only warranties that cover this are the new vehicle warranty and the CPO warranty. Hopefully someone else can chime in on that.

Last edited by SkellyJelly; 08-14-2016 at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 10:35 AM   #63
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkellyJelly
MrGonk,

I know that carbon cleaning is covered under CPO warranty. You should be fine when the SES light eventually turns on, and it will. If your dealer is as accommodating as you say, then why not ask them to take a look? Just be prepared to pay for the labor time if they find nothing. If they do find carbon and the intake needs to be cleaned, then I see no reason why it would not be covered under CPO.

335dFan - I don't want to give you bad information, but if you don't have a CPO warranty then you might be out of pocket on that repair. According to the SIB, the only warranties that cover this are the new vehicle warranty and the CPO warranty. Hopefully someone else can chime in on that.
SkellyJelly, that's what I heard too, but my friendly sales representative convinced me otherwise. But since I moved from there I 'd hate to drive 600 miles to hold him to his word.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 11:24 AM   #64
Iaro
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 xdrive50i M-Sport

Garage List
Is it possible to clean it your self?

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 06:24 PM   #65
mcmahand
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D | 2013 X5D

I know the local dealer here was a stickler for a group of SES that had to be present and not a pending code to cover the cleaning other wise it was out of pocket 100%. I have had two cleanings under CPO, once at 42K and the last one at 87K. It is fully covered under CPO but it has to have a SES for CPO to cover it other wise it's the dealer covering the costs.

Last edited by mcmahand; 08-14-2016 at 06:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 05:46 AM   #66
bvanlieu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine 335d

Typically an injector code is thrown (zero adaptation). There is an airflow procedure to execute (ITSA/Rheingold for example) that can tell you how things are to a point as well.

There is language in the Extended Service contract that excludes carbon cleaning, so as already mentioned only New/CPO covers it per the SIB.

3rd party contracts will vary: usually you end up fighting a bit if you have an exclusionary policy and its not excluded (ask me how I know... .

- b
Appreciate 0