E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 07 328xi 6MT Build Thread

12-17-2022, 02:03 PM   #1
chilledn52
Parts Pro
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [10.00]
07 328xi 6MT Build Thread

12/17/22
Current Mod List

Performance
DIY Dinan 3 inch Intake Hose
Air Scoops
K&N Filter + Charcoal Filter Delete
Mishimoto Intake Hose
Stage 3 Intake Manifold with Bimmerlabs MAF Tune
Magnesium valve cover + external oil separator
Xdelete
Exhaust headers (ready to install)
Custom dyno tune (soon)

Current Exhaust Setup (12/20/22)
Stock Manifolds + Secondary Cat Delete + Stock Resonator + Magnaflow Muffler 10416

New Exhaust Setup (very soon)
Headers + Secondary Cat Delete + Stock Resonator + Dynomax Resonator 24215 + Magnaflow Muffler 10416

Exterior Mods
Sparkling Graphite Metallic colour
Front bumper splitters
F30 Style front Headlights
M4 Style Taillights
Roof Rack w wind fairing
Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps
Trunk Spoiler
LED Low Beam / High Beam + Switchback Fog Light

With all this and the custom dyno tune I'm hoping I can reach 250rwhp without having to switch to a N54 manifold. I do plan on swapping the front and rear differential to a 328xi auto 3.91 ratio a bit down the line.
Switching to magnesium valve cover does have 2 small faults with it. 1. CCV hose from VC to Oil separator at odd angle. 2. Non of the hoses or oil separator is heated, doesn't seem to burn oil or causing problems even in -30 Celsius.
Open too all suggestions besides buying a N54, photos can be uploaded on requests

Last edited by chilledn52; 01-01-2023 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: exhaust setup
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 08:50 PM   #2
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Of course upload photos! I'm curious to how your build looks.
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2022, 08:53 PM   #3
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Also x delete, can you switch it on and off on a whim?
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2022, 01:00 PM   #4
chilledn52
Parts Pro
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
Also x delete, can you switch it on and off on a whim?
Takes about 2 minutes to switch between modes. Currently have it in snow mode to drift around in our freezing weather.
Appreciate 1
gunnerxq212.50
      12-21-2022, 06:23 PM   #5
chilledn52
Parts Pro
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [10.00]
Tossed some photos in!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
gunnerxq212.50
      12-30-2022, 08:13 PM   #6
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Nice! That's a sweet ride! What color was your car before? And magnesium valve cover? I thought pre lci came with magnesium valve covers?
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2022, 08:34 PM   #7
chilledn52
Parts Pro
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Nice! That's a sweet ride! What color was your car before? And magnesium valve cover? I thought pre lci came with magnesium valve covers?
Car is Sparkling Graphite Metallic, original colour. I have repainted the front bumper as I mix paint through my work.

Only for 1 year did the Pre-LCI in the 325 and 330 models. I originally had plastic valve cover, swapped it in at the same time as 3IM to keep external separator
had some problems in the winter and seems like it was a crack in the valve cover, whistle on cold start, dips below idle, haven't had the problem this year
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 08:59 PM   #8
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilledn52 View Post
Car is Sparkling Graphite Metallic, original colour. I have repainted the front bumper as I mix paint through my work.

Only for 1 year did the Pre-LCI in the 325 and 330 models. I originally had plastic valve cover, swapped it in at the same time as 3IM to keep external separator
had some problems in the winter and seems like it was a crack in the valve cover, whistle on cold start, dips below idle, haven't had the problem this year
Gotcha. Have you had a chance to delete or drill out the "Clutch Delay Valve"? I'd recommend it. My car is drilled out, my brother's is deleted. Both work but deleted makes the lines taught.
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2022, 09:39 AM   #9
chilledn52
Parts Pro
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Gotcha. Have you had a chance to delete or drill out the "Clutch Delay Valve"? I'd recommend it. My car is drilled out, my brother's is deleted. Both work but deleted makes the lines taught.
Yea I'm looking to get it done here eventually. I have an idea to how it should change the feel!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 08:03 PM   #10
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Exhaust diameter is smaller than stock, you’re not going to make more power with that setup.

You’ll need a Y, single 3” back replace the resonator with a vibrant Ultra quiet, and muffler with the Borla XS 3” in/out

Look up my old username “TaskMaster” I made 246whp on an off the shelf tune. I’d recommend the INJEN intake - it had the broadest gains of any intake I dyno tested - Id also consider the MILVS.
Being AWD, you’re likely not going to make 250whp, but you can make good power and fun to drive still.

Last edited by AmuroRay; 12-31-2022 at 08:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2022, 10:40 PM   #11
infinitenexus
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Exhaust diameter is smaller than stock, you’re not going to make more power with that setup.

You’ll need a Y, single 3” back replace the resonator with a vibrant Ultra quiet, and muffler with the Borla XS 3” in/out

Look up my old username “TaskMaster” I made 246whp on an off the shelf tune. I’d recommend the INJEN intake - it had the broadest gains of any intake I dyno tested - Id also consider the MILVS.
Being AWD, you’re likely not going to make 250whp, but you can make good power and fun to drive still.
You know where to get MILVs? They've been out of stock for a while now.
      01-01-2023, 10:13 AM   #12
chilledn52
Parts Pro
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [10.00]
Quote:

Its same diameter, not smaller.
Exhaust setup im going for sound at the moment, its for a deep no rasp sound. Its based off the store owner I bought my headers from. With being able to go catless, I still need to keep sound down.
Im not looking for a $500 hot air filter, 6 month of the year its negatives (Celsius) weather and the 3 inch DIY Dinan is doing plenty right now.
MILVs are down the line, I know all about them.
You forget of XDelete which disables your transfer case, sending all power to the rear.
I have a job opportunity at a racing engines place here soon, and will be doing a custom dyno tune rather then off the shelf

Last edited by chilledn52; 01-01-2023 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: format
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 10:24 AM   #13
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Its same diameter, not smaller.
Exhaust setup im going for sound at the moment, its for a deep no rasp sound. Its based off the store owner I bought my headers from. With being able to go catless, I still need to keep sound down.
Im not looking for a $500 hot air filter, 6 month of the year its negatives (Celsius) weather and the 3 inch DIY Dinan is doing plenty right now.
MILVs are down the line, I know all about them.
You forget of XDelete which disables your transfer case, sending all power to the rear.
I have a job opportunity at a racing engines place here soon, and will be doing a custom dyno tune rather then off the shelf
It’s not the same diameter, the stock exhaust is like 2.75” not even 2.5 - and I gave specific recommendations on the mufflers and resonators. I personally dyno tested the Injen vs stock - that Dinan setup is doing nothing - I tested a similar one on my Z3 and an eBay tubular intake walked all over it. The Injen makes something like 10wtq more and even made more power when it was heatsoaked. It’s just a better intake.

And a custom tune isn’t really about peak power, it’s about area under the curve. You’ll get a broader power and, but something like 2-5whp peak.

But hey, you already know it all, so I’ll let you do you.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 10:27 AM   #14
chilledn52
Parts Pro
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [10.00]
Quote:
It’s not the same diameter, the stock exhaust is like 2.75” not even 2.5 - and I personally dyno tested the Injen vs stock. It make something like 10wtq more and even made more power when it was heatsoaked.

But you already know it all, so I’ll let you do you.
I sell car parts as a job, its my job to know. No hate. Stock is 2.25 inches before the stock resonator and 2.5 inches after the stock resonator. Also it doesnt make more power heatsoaked, less condense air due to temperature is not more efficient.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 10:39 AM   #15
chilledn52
Parts Pro
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [10.00]
Quote:
It’s not the same diameter, the stock exhaust is like 2.75” not even 2.5 - and I gave specific recommendations on the mufflers and resonators. I personally dyno tested the Injen vs stock - that Dinan setup is doing nothing - I tested a similar one on my Z3 and an eBay tubular intake walked all over it. The Injen makes something like 10wtq more and even made more power when it was heatsoaked. It’s just a better intake.

And a custom tune isn’t really about peak power, it’s about area under the curve. You’ll get a broader power and, but something like 2-5whp peak.

But hey, you already know it all, so I’ll let you do you.
You're right that when I open the exhaust up more that it will help, will keep that in mind but Intake wise I honestly think im better off with the DIY Dinan setup I have then the INJEN. I felt a major difference in driving dynamics.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 11:13 AM   #16
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I sell car parts as a job, its my job to know. No hate. Stock is 2.25 inches before the stock resonator and 2.5 inches after the stock resonator. Also it doesnt make more power heatsoaked, less condense air due to temperature is not more efficient.
Heatsoak isn’t a thing. I say this as a turbo guy - the open intakes make more than the in a box units because of surface area not having an arbitrarily small tube to pull air through. And again, it’s pipe diameter, length, and filter size gave it a broader powerband over the modified stock box. My attached dyno of the Injen intake (heatsoaked) vs the stock airbox. No matter what - the Injen intake provided the broadest powerband in terms of midrange power - over the AFE (highest peak HP) and the modified stock box.

And with the stock exhaust, no it isn’t. You can check REALOEM - the section 1 is dual tubes at around 2” (the exhaust clamp in #17 is 55mm =/2.16”)
Attached Images

Last edited by AmuroRay; 01-03-2023 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 12:27 PM   #17
chilledn52
Parts Pro
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Heatsoak isn’t a thing. I say this as a turbo guy - the open intakes make more than the in a box units because of surface area not having an arbitrarily small tube to pull air through. And again, it’s pipe diameter, length, and filter size gave it a broader powerband over the modified stock box.

And with the stock exhaust, no it isn’t. You can check REALOEM - the section 1 is dual tubes at around 2” (the exhaust clamp in #17 is 55mm =/2.16”)
Heatsoak is a thing, why do you think front mount intercoolers and air to water intercoolers are for? You might have little more surface area but you have hotter less condense air for the N52. Little to no gain spending 500$ when the ram air scoops and 3 inch DIY dinan have given my vehicle the air it needs to breath. With other peoples results in 15hp 16tq with a 2 inch intake hose. https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1186611

Also exhaust sizing
https://catalog.walkerexhaust.com/ca...dStatus=ACTIVE
Appreciate 1
ornicar136.00
      01-01-2023, 02:25 PM   #18
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Heatsoak is a thing, why do you think front mount intercoolers and air to water intercoolers are for? You might have little more surface area but you have hotter less condense air for the N52. Little to no gain spending 500$ when the ram air scoops and 3 inch DIY dinan have given my vehicle the air it needs to breath. With other peoples results in 15hp 16tq with a 2 inch intake hose. https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1186611

Also exhaust sizing
https://catalog.walkerexhaust.com/ca...dStatus=ACTIVE
I know the owner of that car personally, and you can see I (under my old user name) commented on that thread directly. I’ve done this, I’ve been here already - but reinvent the wheel. That intake isn’t gaining that power. It’s nothing to do with “cold air” and every thing to do with filter surface area and pressure, tube resonance due to length.

I’ve had the Dinan, I’ve had the stock Euro, the AFE, and the Injen.

And the catalog is telling you the exhaust clamp sizes - I’ve installed the Super Sprint section one, it’s just over 2, not even 2.25 - and I couldn’t reuse the stock supports.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1227620

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...1322583&page=5

Last edited by AmuroRay; 01-01-2023 at 02:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 02:57 PM   #19
chilledn52
Parts Pro
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [10.00]
Quote:
I know the owner of that car personally, and you can see I (under my old user name) commented on that thread directly. I’ve done this, I’ve been here already - but reinvent the wheel. That intake isn’t gaining that power. It’s nothing to do with “cold air” and every thing to do with filter surface area and pressure, tube resonance due to length.

And the catalog is telling you the exhaust clamp sizes - I’ve installed the Super Sprint section one, it’s just over 2, not even 2.25 - and I couldn’t reuse the stock supports.
The 3 inch hose is delivering more air into the airbox, which in turn is more air pressure in airbox, more air to be turned into HP. Just because you didn't have the best of experiences with it doesn't change the fact that it does provide more hp and tq, with dozens of people having positive results just like myself. Yes a European N52 airbox might perform a little better then the US airbox, but my DIY Dinan is for sure performing better then the INJEN short hot ram intake.

Sounds like you haven't experienced negative temperature weather probably with your vehicle before with being in Florida. Up here in Canada, half the year its below freezing and the cold temp does increase power and response.

Also even if its just clamp size, Then the muffler I have added in there is bigger then stock diameter + the resonator too. There is no downsizing here.
Appreciate 0