E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Unsolvable Shifter issue.

08-04-2020, 05:04 AM   #1
assassinsbrotherhood
330d E90 LCI M Sport.
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2010 330d e90 LCI M Sport

Garage List
Unsolvable Shifter issue.

Hey Guys, Well we have all read and heard how to fix shifter locked in park, but this is hard to work out as I have tried it all. I have replaced the standard e90 shift knob with an upgraded one and it has worked fine for 18 mths. I took off the shifter knob today to do some work on the console and now when I put the shifter on it wont disengage from park.? Even the original shifter wont work. All i did was remove the knob, no broken wires and the park locking mechanism is disengaging but I cant get out of park. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 05:15 AM   #2
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassinsbrotherhood View Post
Hey Guys, Well we have all read and heard how to fix shifter locked in park, but this is hard to work out as I have tried it all. I have replaced the standard e90 shift knob with an upgraded one and it has worked fine for 18 mths. I took off the shifter knob today to do some work on the console and now when I put the shifter on it wont disengage from park.? Even the original shifter wont work. All i did was remove the knob, no broken wires and the park locking mechanism is disengaging but I cant get out of park. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hmmm there is a little metal tab that you can press on the right of the shifter assembly to disengage the lock and allow the gear shift to move (I assume this is what you mean by park locking mechanism). If thats not what you mean, try pressing in the tab and see if that works to free up the gear shift

The only reason I can think of is that the car is not registering the key in the ignition, are you sure you have reconnected all the wiring properly when you put the console back together?

Finally try disconnecting the battery, leave it 10 mins and then reconnect it

Sorry I cant be of more help
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 03:36 AM   #3
assassinsbrotherhood
330d E90 LCI M Sport.
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2010 330d e90 LCI M Sport

Garage List
stuck in park.

Well guys I finally sorted it after a dat long search. As I stated previously I had tried everything and yes I did mean the manual lock release. That was disengaging Ok when I turned on the car and could even start it with foot on brake so there is input. I found that the bottom 35mm of the plastic shaft for the shifter knob had broken off in the shifter shaft locking the shifter in place even though the manual release was also working. So I was able to put a little super glue on the end of a cable tie ,fed it into the hole and dragged out the broken piece.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 06:33 AM   #4
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Well guys I finally sorted it after a dat long search. As I stated previously I had tried everything and yes I did mean the manual lock release. That was disengaging Ok when I turned on the car and could even start it with foot on brake so there is input. I found that the bottom 35mm of the plastic shaft for the shifter knob had broken off in the shifter shaft locking the shifter in place even though the manual release was also working. So I was able to put a little super glue on the end of a cable tie ,fed it into the hole and dragged out the broken piece.
Never come across that failure before..... glad you got it sorted
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 03:20 PM   #5
shannon1
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 323i M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Wow, that is an unusual one. Lucky you found it and could get it out
Appreciate 0