E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Track Day Insurance in Ontario?

06-02-2023, 10:49 AM   #1
ee90
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, E90 335xi, E39

Track Day Insurance in Ontario?

I have been thinking of taking my 335i out to the track at Calabogie about an hour away from Ottawa. But after doing research online, some people say that regular car insurance does not cover track? I am not participating in any timed events or competitions it is the HPDE offered by Calabogie and on the website it specifically says "These are driver education events not racing, timing equipment of any kind is not permitted."

That being said is there any need to get additional insurance? Is it even possible in Ontario? There was only one website that looked to be offering the service. (Stoneridge Specialty Insurance)

I also read that it is best to take off your plate and just not make any claims if an accident does happen? But that doesn't make much sense to me, wouldn't the track (calabogie) write a formal report on the incident? What if I hit someone else and they decided to go through insurance and my company just says they will not cover anything since I broke their agreement?

Any help is appreciated, I do not want to call my insurance company and ask them because I heard that just even asking them can get your policy canceled and I am already paying an arm and a leg for high risk insurance. Plus my insurance company doesn't even offer parking/ fire and theft coverage in the winter months so asking about driving education on track I think would give them a heart attack lol
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 03:05 PM   #2
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

It's up to you whether you purchase track day insurance or not. It's not required like on the street, but when you sign up for a track day, you agree to be held liable for any damages caused. So you'd be on the hook if you hit someone. They probably write up reports for their own liability reasons but it wouldn't be a police report like if you hit someone on the street as it's really not a road so the same rules don't apply. No need to take your plate off, just know your normal insurance doesn't cover track use.
Appreciate 1
ee9010.00
      06-02-2023, 08:45 PM   #3
PcarFan
Baned
Rep
Drives: BMW

You need to read your insurance policy and make sure they haven't excluded track activities. You can ask your insurance broker what is and isn't covered, but your insurance company sounds kind of funny. I've never had an insurance company that didn't cover fire and theft when I stored a vehicle.

Technically they can't deny you coverage if there's no track exclusion in the policy. But you'll have a hard time getting a payout, and you'll never get insurance from them again.

You don't need insurance to drive on the track, but you're liable for any damages that you cause on the track.
There's many drivers on the track without insurance, but they're taking a risk.

Why don't you just get insurance at the track?
If you don't go to the track that often you can get coverage at the track for a one day event.

I inquired about the price a few months ago (after my insurance company sent me a letter this past October saying that they were canceling my track insurance) and they quoted me like $420.00 + track fees for a one day event

By the way, the insurance company asked me to sign a waiver that the car will not be used on a track when they canceled my track coverage, and I didn't sign. They sent me another one 6 months later, again I didn't sign, and they haven't cancelled my insurance.

I know someone that total his Boxster a couple of years ago at the track and got a payout, but it was a nightmare for him to get a payout. After that he bought another Boxster, and for him to be able to get insurance he had to sign a waiver that the car will not be used on a track, and his insurance rate went up over double from what he used to pay
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 08:47 PM   #4
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

Normal insurance does not cover anything that happens on a race track.

Attempting to make a claim for a race track incident is fraud.

Basically nothing is covered on a race track. Nobody will pay for your car, you don't pay for somebody else's car. You are probably liable for damage to the track (walls, ect) unless you're with a very good organization.

The two companies in the states that do track day insurance are Hagerty and Lockton. I do not know if they operate in Canada. They are legit. Several acquaintances of mine have gotten claims paid out.

They offer 'agreed amount' policies. EG you select $XX,XXX of of payout for $XXX price. It only applies to a single event, and you can sign up at any moment prior to your car hitting the wall. (race tracks keep very VERY tidy records of the time of incident)
      06-02-2023, 09:47 PM   #5
ee90
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian86 View Post
Normal insurance does not cover anything that happens on a race track.

Attempting to make a claim for a race track incident is fraud.

Basically nothing is covered on a race track. Nobody will pay for your car, you don't pay for somebody else's car. You are probably liable for damage to the track (walls, ect) unless you're with a very good organization.

The two companies in the states that do track day insurance are Hagerty and Lockton. I do not know if they operate in Canada. They are legit. Several acquaintances of mine have gotten claims paid out.

They offer 'agreed amount' policies. EG you select $XX,XXX of of payout for $XXX price. It only applies to a single event, and you can sign up at any moment prior to your car hitting the wall. (race tracks keep very VERY tidy records of the time of incident)
I see yeah unfortunately they do not operate in Canada my only option for insurance is to get a us address and register using a company called open track insurance. They cover both US and Canada tracks but I doubt I値l be able to get a US address to use
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 09:51 PM   #6
ee90
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcarFan View Post
You need to read your insurance policy and make sure they haven't excluded track activities. You can ask your insurance broker what is and isn't covered, but your insurance company sounds kind of funny. I've never had an insurance company that didn't cover fire and theft when I stored a vehicle.

Technically they can't deny you coverage if there's no track exclusion in the policy. But you'll have a hard time getting a payout, and you'll never get insurance from them again.

You don't need insurance to drive on the track, but you're liable for any damages that you cause on the track.
There's many drivers on the track without insurance, but they're taking a risk.

Why don't you just get insurance at the track?
If you don't go to the track that often you can get coverage at the track for a one day event.

I inquired about the price a few months ago (after my insurance company sent me a letter this past October saying that they were canceling my track insurance) and they quoted me like $420.00 + track fees for a one day event

By the way, the insurance company asked me to sign a waiver that the car will not be used on a track when they canceled my track coverage, and I didn't sign. They sent me another one 6 months later, again I didn't sign, and they haven't cancelled my insurance.

I know someone that total his Boxster a couple of years ago at the track and got a payout, but it was a nightmare for him to get a payout. After that he bought another Boxster, and for him to be able to get insurance he had to sign a waiver that the car will not be used on a [...]
I see, I read through my policy and it does not saying anything about track use so I知 assuming I do get covered but I値l probably have to take them to court and fight for it lol. Hopefully nothing like that happens.

Unfortunately nobody in Ontario offers insurance not even at the track, I find that weird so I値l have to call them and ask what other drivers do because I see some very high end cars at the track.

Yeah my insurance company told me I知 too high risk thus I am not able to store my car in the winter and remove road insurance. Doesn稚 make much sense but I値l be looking for another company in the future. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 10:18 PM   #7
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

Knowing nothing specific about the organizations running events in Canada...

Novice level High Performance Driving Events and schools are very very low risk. There is probably a higher chance of a crash driving into your local major metro area if....

if.... you are capable of keeping it in your pants.

That said... the best advice is to not take something on the track that you aren't willing to write off.