E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Can you roll start an E90?

10-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
Taxvictim
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i, Titanium Silver 6MT

Can you roll start an E90?

I have the 6 speed manual transmission. I have roll started many cars in the past, and know how to do it properly, but it would not work in my E90 last night. Have any of you done it?

Because my battery was almost dead, I parked at the top of the parking lot at work. I tried three times to get the engine running through roll starting, but all I got was an ABS failure light. It must have something to do with the fob and the push button ignition, or because of the "foot on the brake" safety.

If you have roll started your E90, how did you do it?

(I got a jump start and drove straight to Advance Auto to get the new battery. Cable is on the way so I can reset the new battery code.)
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
jaguar36
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Sure can (assuming you have a manual at least) there is even a procedure for it on pg 190 of the owners manual under Tow Starting.

1. Switch on the hazard warning flashers,
comply with local regulations.
2. Switch on the ignition, refer to page 49.
3. Shift into 3rd gear.
4. Have the vehicle tow-started with the clutch
pedal completely depressed and slowly
release the clutch. After the engine starts,
immediately depress the clutch pedal completely
again.
5. Stop at a suitable location, remove the tow
bar or rope and switch off the hazard warning
flashers.
6. Have the vehicle checked.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
Taxvictim
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i, Titanium Silver 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar36 View Post
Sure can (assuming you have a manual at least) there is even a procedure for it on pg 190 of the owners manual under Tow Starting.
D'oh! RTFM wins again. Thank you.

The instruction to switch on the ignition seems to be the tricky part here, however, because there almost zero power available. The car didn't light up in the normal way when you turn on the ignition without your foot on the brake.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

With a nearly dead battery, I don't see how this can possibly work. If the ECU gets an undervoltage condition, the engine isn't going to start because everything about it is computer-controlled. With a good battery, sure it should work fine.

The old days of bump-starting your VW with a dead or even missing battery are long gone!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

I'm surprised this still works on modern cars. I thought fuel pumps were electronically disabled until the computer had authenticated a keyfob? Even if there's fuel left over in the lines, why doesn't the pump lockout mean that roll starting a modern car either prevents it from starting or allows it to start and then just sputter out immediately thereafter?

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 10:09 PM   #6
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxvictim View Post
D'oh! RTFM wins again. Thank you.

The instruction to switch on the ignition seems to be the tricky part here, however, because there almost zero power available. The car didn't light up in the normal way when you turn on the ignition without your foot on the brake.
What's this foot-on-the-brake nonsense? You said you have a manual transmission, right? What are you talking about?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
I'm surprised this still works on modern cars. I thought fuel pumps were electronically disabled until the computer had authenticated a keyfob? Even if there's fuel left over in the lines, why doesn't the pump lockout mean that roll starting a modern car either prevents it from starting or allows it to start and then just sputter out immediately thereafter?
Who said anything about not having the key?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #8
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Who said anything about not having the key? If the ignition's on and the rear wheels are used to turn the engine, it will start. Even the owner's manual says so.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #9
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
Who said anything about not having the key? If the ignition's on and the rear wheels are used to turn the engine, it will start. Even the owner's manual says so.
HAHA, d'oh!! Brain fart on my part. Must be doing too much .

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
Cir14
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 11 328xi M-Sport Sedan

I left my parking lights on a few months back; now I know why they have the automatic light feature. I went out to the parking lot after work and my battery was dead. I had a colleague help me push it, I jumped in shifted into second gear and let out the clutch out and it started right up. Now it did need a new battery a few weeks later and I'm not sure if pop starting it or draining the battery b/c I left my light on that 1 time had anything to do with it but pop starting it the old school way worked fine for me. I don't know if I would make a habit out of it & would only do it in emergency situations.
Appreciate 0