E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Slow motion, Squirrel sniper kill shot!

12-13-2012, 11:40 PM   #67
Vanity
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWINCH View Post
AMERICA!
Loved this comment haha

And I know this thread is already getting real long in the tooth but, really? All this for squirrels? And I know someone here said it was the video that bothered them. It was the "entertainment" of watching death that bothers him.

May I?

- Violent Video Games where we simulate killing humans labelled as "enemies".
- Every single movie where we root for the death of another human being, sometimes even feeling relief from that death, because such a person has the role of "antagonist".

You know what I'm getting at here. I'm just trying to expose the hypocrisy in here. There are many many channels in our lives where death is commoditized and packaged as "entertainment" and then sold to us. News, movies, games, etc. I believe the people here are expressing disgust because there is no "context" given here. The squirrel in the video wasn't labelled as an "antagonist" to our sniper, nor was there a context given for why it was shot. So then you decide to fill in the void: "He's a disgusting human being" "He enjoys this as pleasure" "There's something wrong with him, not me" "That squirrel was 'innocent'".

This psychology of assumption definitely carries itself into other places. Like when we watch a video of someone being shot by the Police, and we assume our own opinions: "Police are pigs!" "That man was a threat!". But we have no context.

Point being if you're really bothered by death as entertainment, that is odd. All that's different in this video is lack of context. Death as entertainment is very much enjoyed by everyone, in one form or the other. It's just that no one stands up declares "I love watching death". But we all do, given the right context and more importantly the correct "labels".
      12-14-2012, 12:14 AM   #68
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
It may be just a fucking squirrel to you
But it's a life
Just because it can't make pseudo witty remarks, or because it can't shoot a gun
Doesn't make it any less important
The only real coward is someone who thinks its funny to shoot a video killing defenseless animals

Oh and I don't particularly like your racist remark
Wtf do you mean where you came from and how you got here?
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
We are discussing different things here, hunting, and the video.

Hunting is a essential part of who we are, and although it is not my cup of tea, I have absolutely no issue with it, I eat meat, and I know a lot of great folks who enjoy that hobby.

And for the record, I'm also not a big fan of squirrels.

I roll my eyes at folks who post a video telling us to fast forward to see the slow motion kill shot. (Please note, the OP never returned to his own thread).

To me, videos like these are pointless, and unnecessary. And if you get excited over that video it makes you a sad individual.

I've met folks like these, and most of the time they are the very opposite of being tough guys. I've seen very compassionate "tree huggers" who will hold the line against any threat. Just my observation and 2 cents.
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 01:14 AM   #69
kingofthedemo
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanity View Post
Loved this comment haha

And I know this thread is already getting real long in the tooth but, really? All this for squirrels? And I know someone here said it was the video that bothered them. It was the "entertainment" of watching death that bothers him.

May I?

- Violent Video Games where we simulate killing humans labelled as "enemies".
- Every single movie where we root for the death of another human being, sometimes even feeling relief from that death, because such a person has the role of "antagonist".

You know what I'm getting at here. I'm just trying to expose the hypocrisy in here. There are many many channels in our lives where death is commoditized and packaged as "entertainment" and then sold to us. News, movies, games, etc. I believe the people here are expressing disgust because there is no "context" given here. The squirrel in the video wasn't labelled as an "antagonist" to our sniper, nor was there a context given for why it was shot. So then you decide to fill in the void: "He's a disgusting human being" "He enjoys this as pleasure" "There's something wrong with him, not me" "That squirrel was 'innocent'".

This psychology of assumption definitely carries itself into other places. Like when we watch a video of someone being shot by the Police, and we assume our own opinions: "Police are pigs!" "That man was a threat!". But we have no context.

Point being if you're really bothered by death as entertainment, that is odd. All that's different in this video is lack of context. Death as entertainment is very much enjoyed by everyone, in one form or the other. It's just that no one stands up declares "I love watching death". But we all do, given the right context and more importantly the correct "labels".

Nicely said!

''Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.''Ernest Hemingway
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 01:21 AM   #70
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
It may be just a fucking squirrel to you
But it's a life
Just because it can't make pseudo witty remarks, or because it can't shoot a gun
Doesn't make it any less important
The only real coward is someone who thinks its funny to shoot a video killing defenseless animals

Oh and I don't particularly like your racist remark
Wtf do you mean where you came from and how you got here?
Yes , it is a life, a life that could have easily been taken by another predator. Squirrels aren't exactly up high on the food chain and possibly one of the best things they contribute to nature is their lives. They are FOOD for other animals. So a better argument for you would be that this guy took away a food source for another animal that went hungry. However that starts getting into what-ifs and theories so its best not to argue over something may or may not have happened if the squirrel was not killed by this man.

lol racist? really?

Where we came from and how we got here refers to the evolution of human life over the past centuries. Less than 200 years ago you had to hunt to get most of your protein (meat) as there was not a mass production food industry. We didn't have large scale farms breeding animal stock to be slaughtered, packaged, and shipped to your local grocery store. Until this modernization of food supply life was a lot rougher than it is now. Instead of not being able to afford food, if you couldn't hunt chances are you didn't eat meat and meat was a crucial part of the human diet back then. People didn't have the luxury of being vegan or vegetarian and buying everything they want to eat in a store.

So for you to read what I as racist when I mention NOTHING negative about a specific race shows your character and how you choose to read too far into things. You're looking for a way to make me look bad because I called you out for thoughtlessly demanding the death of another human whom you do not know over the internet.

So if you want to quote me and reply to my comment, reply with an answer to my challenge. Would YOU shoot the creator of this video if you were face to face and he was unarmed.
      12-14-2012, 01:33 AM   #71
kingofthedemo
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate4641 View Post
So if you want to quote me and reply to my comment, reply with an answer to my challenge. Would YOU shoot the creator of this video if you were face to face and he was unarmed.
+1

''Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.''Ernest Hemingway
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 07:48 AM   #72
Fox128i
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82

Garage List
2012 128i  [9.50]
Let's take a deep breath here. We're seriously going to use the race card in regards to a hunting video of someone shooting a squirrel? Or as a counterpoint to someone else's views/remarks on the subject matter?

With all due respect, I call BS.

Time for the mods to lock this one before it gets further out of hand.
      12-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #73
DiavelM3
4 Star General -Twilight Zone
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired View Post
Most if not all food places have a pest problem and there is no permanent solution
If that were true, then, most, if not all food places would be shut down and more of us would be doing whats in the video that started this thread.
Past - '84 Ferrari 308 GTSI | '88 Ferrari 328 GTS | '05 Dodge Viper Copperhead Edition #180/300 | Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 08:01 AM   #74
sjk9671
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontrelli View Post
This thread is like an episode of Amish Mafia
      12-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #75
Fox128i
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82

Garage List
2012 128i  [9.50]
Quote:
Hunting is necessary, taking a life is unfortunately sometimes necessary, but you should never take it lightly, and to me that video is trivializing that.

And yes, I'm perfectly fine with other folks disagreeing with me.
I agree. As I mentioned, I have not watched the video and don't intend to. I am perfectly fine with folks disagreeing with me as well.

I know I have not mentioned video games. I did use the word hypocritical though and I was right to do so. To chastise the video about it's violence/death and then call for the death of the hunter is indeed the perfect definition of a hypocrite. I know it wasn't you, but it was mentioned. Not exactly the best argument for someone to use in effort to support their point of view in my opinion.

We all have our opinions, but inserting race into this debate is a bit ridiculous.
      12-14-2012, 08:54 AM   #76
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
I don't see anything getting out of hand. It's a forum, people disagree. It's all good.

A video has been posted, and folks share their opinions, it's the whole point of a message board.
Exactly. Although being called a racist was a way off and juvenile.

I love a good debate and this is a great topic to debate. It doesnt involve politics or religion which are two of the worst things to get into a debate over as it will almost never end.
      12-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #77
Ammonia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

After deploying three times and watching some of my friends die right in front of me, this thread makes me sad. This guy is hunting food. He makes great shots with an air rifle. They are squirrels. I've put out mice traps before, and caught a few squirrels that like to burrow into our roof and cause hundreds of dollars in damage. I didn't eat them. Does that make me an inhuman monster?

Every single person in this thread has killed a bug.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 09:21 AM   #78
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:

I think I established that this is hardly about a squirrel... at least in my case, it's about watching a video of an animal getting killed (in slow motion) for entertainment. I simply don't get it, that's all.
Personally I liked the video because 1. The cool video tech he used on the scope and 2. the shots were very nice shots.

I recently read a hunting thread "Everything went wrong today" on one of my gun forums where the guy said he shot a running buck, and then when they caught up to it it was still alive and struggling so they shot it again with a handgun, then it tried to run away some more and then after 2 more shots it finally died.

READING that was WAY more disturbing to me than watching this video.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #79
Pontrelli
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Personally I liked the video because 1. The cool video tech he used on the scope and 2. the shots were very nice shots.

I recently read a hunting thread "Everything went wrong today" on one of my gun forums where the guy said he shot a running buck, and then when they caught up to it it was still alive and struggling so they shot it again with a handgun, then it tried to run away some more and then after 2 more shots it finally died.

READING that was WAY more disturbing to me than watching this video.
If you are not a hunter, there is no way to convey to a non-hunter how important and fundamental a "clean" kill is..some people will take a stand and say "any" killing is wrong..which is their right. But for those of us who hunt, I see these videos as an affirmation of how to take game down as cleanly and expeditiously as posssible..which is the whole point.

All these are extraneous arguments on this thread are just that..extraneous..and have no business being discussed here
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #80
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
did not watch video but took interest in the thread
eat what you kill, enough said
circle of life
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 05:48 AM   #81
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthedemo View Post
Rattlesnake Bowkill

LIGHTS OUT!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 05:57 AM   #82
jsedlak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgrandma View Post
Maybe not for you - for me it works perfectly fine.

A few years back I worked at a sloughter house during the holidays - since the I don't eat meat. But there are people who do and the meat has to come from somewhere - that's how the world works.

On the other hand there are people wo kill animals which most probably would have lived in the wild till a natural death. Or would have been killed by another animal - natural cicle of life. Not by a retard with a high-tech gun.

That's my point of view.
You forget that we are animals.
      12-15-2012, 05:58 AM   #83
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgrandma View Post
Look kingofthedemo, from other threads you posted in, you seem like a fun guy, so I really don't want to start an arguement with you.

Just let me have my opinion and you can have yours. It's true that we are omnivores by nature, no doubt about it. Any kind of rifle however is not natural. It would be natural if that mofo would catch that squirrel with his bear hands. And even then I would say it wasn't necessery. I also don't get your sense of humor and don't know what made you laught about this vid. For me it's not funny.

So let's just stop here please. I see I can't change your view on things and you will not change mine.
Natural!? Who cares if something isn't natural such as a weapon, its a part of evolution and we have evolved to the point that we may create something so we don't have to catch it with our bare hands. So when primitive humans starting hunting with bow and arrows to survive, was that wrong? At least he is attempting clean shots and not torturing animals.

Take your PITA arsh to some third world country and prevent people from eating dogs and cats, now thats wrong!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 06:05 AM   #84
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EINSER M View Post
did not watch video but took interest in the thread
eat what you kill, enough said
circle of life

34.1064° N, 117.5922° W = 9741 Foothill Blvd. Rancho Cucamonga, CA?

I googled it out of boredom!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #85
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by STi_traitor View Post
34.1064° N, 117.5922° W = 9741 Foothill Blvd. Rancho Cucamonga, CA?

I googled it out of boredom!
now you take me out with your long range sniper from DE
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #86
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EINSER M View Post
now you take me out with your long range sniper from DE
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #87
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by STi_traitor View Post
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #88
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Anyone see the Family Guy where Brian hits a dog while driving drunk and kills it? He tries to turn himself in for murder and everyone laughs?

Animals kill each other all the time, and in much more violent and painful ways than a quick shot to the head. He is eating it, it's all good. Squirrel is pretty tasty IMO. The ways animals are treated on most farms are far more cruel.