E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Wagner Tuning 335d Intercooler Kit Ready to Ship?

01-10-2013, 04:59 AM   #67
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

Chris and DD and others i ordered the IC from Wagner, one of the main issues I was looking at them was:

1) OEM look(they do look way better than what i have seen)
2) Plug and Play(yes thats what they advertise and will find out, eventually)
3) 90% percent of my driving is Freaking City so HEAT factor is HUGE problem for me and the fact that I am a Go Speed Racer type I need more cooler air into the turbos)
4) Although Cx Racing had one I just did not like the FRANKENSTEIN look. I want to be INCOGNITO!!!

Eventually, when it gets here I will post the dyno before and after ok, and, of course open a new thread for people to falk with me LOL.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #68
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
What's the latest word Amigo?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #69
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Nada amigo im in Orlando will b flying to the island thursday
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #70
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Sounds good. Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #71
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms
Heard back from Evolve - they are waiting for a customer to come in so they can get a look at the IC. Hopefully will hear more soon.
Just saw this. Thanks for the grunt work Chris and keep us posted. Sounds like some good potential here.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 08:50 PM   #72
dL_EVO
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 EVO IX, 2011 BMW 335D

How much is the IC upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #73
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dL_EVO
How much is the IC upgrade?
$650 USD before shipping/taxes.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 03:42 AM   #74
335dwagon
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335D wagon

I wanted to share my experience with this intercooler. It is great for one.
1. Excellent build quality "Made in Germany"
2. Direct fitment "Absolutely no modifications required"
3. Cooler intake air temperatures
4. Nice powder coat durable paint finish
5. Will not throw a check engine light
6. Noticeable power increase on a stock engine

I have nothing but good things to say about the Wagner intercooler since I am the one that allowed my car to have this fitted on and designed. Do not hesitate once about buying this intercooler. Carsten is a genius and a great guy.
      02-06-2013, 05:44 AM   #75
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dwagon

I have nothing but good things to say about the Wagner intercooler since I am the one that allowed my car to have this fitted on and designed. Do not hesitate once about buying this intercooler. Carsten is a genius and a great guy.
Any empirical data to support??
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 05:55 AM   #76
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Any empirical data to support??
I'm waiting for the same and also shocked that WT wouldn't have had this ready by now in order to try and increase sales. I'm not throwing down nearly $1,000 after taxes/shipping/duty fees for something without any proof.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 06:40 AM   #77
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dwagon View Post

That's all good feedback for sure. As to your last comment, other than your butt dyno how do you know?

What is the measured pressure drop? Wagner has yet to provide any data as it relates to this one very important piece of the puzzle.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 06:42 AM   #78
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dwagon View Post

That's all good feedback for sure. As to your last comment, other than your butt dyno how do you know?

What is the measured pressure drop? Wagner has yet to provide any data as it relates to this one very important piece of the puzzle. On the mini forum, the Wagner IC actually reduced power because the pressure drop was to high.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 07:00 AM   #79
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

I have the WAGNER IC but not installed as of yet, but will do so, The 335d Wagon aka The DOC drove 3 hours so that WAGNER could do a 3D scan and he is happy about it. I do understand most of you wanting tech data as for Carsten himself info me via email that they were in progress but no avail date as of yet, as a matter of fact DOC was the first IC from WAGNER for a 335d and more so a WAGON whcih have a different setup than we do, if the DOC had the COJONES to do so and get it done trust his judgement instead of bitching, give CARSTEn an email and BITCh at him about data. my mechanic who has raced many cars in the island and is a well respected person in the BMW community here told me that the craftmanship is EXCELLENT and the price is also GREAT now that said, I will do dyno's before and after and will give it to you guys ok. Sorry i have come across a little strong to you guys I really cherise all of you here specially Chris Greek boy etc.

BTW dont bitch at me either I am under construction in my house and havent been able to either do last dyno run om new reprogrammed RENNtech flash almost 2 months to the day. But I will!! ok Have a nice day amigos!!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #80
polo 335
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335D stage 2

Puerto Rican is right.

I'm a E92 335D Euro version stage 2 (dpf off, BMC air filter) owner.
I am looking for an improvement, so I ordered this intercooler because it's great quality and my tuner thought there will be a minimum gain of 7hp in normal weather and maybe 15hp in hot weather.

I'm aware there is no data available, but I will take the risk. Wagner Tuning is quite famous, and I trust the quality of their products.

Whatever the results, I'll keep you update.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #81
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Kmc I sent you a response from the PM you sent me
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #82
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

No one is saying it is not a quality product, we are just saying we want numbers to prove it won't have a negative effect as in the tdi. A quality product it might be, but its only useful if it works with the engineering of our cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #83
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Ask Turbo eddie from germn boost he added Cx Racing IC and he states that he is NOW getting approx 47 mpg in the hwy and also ask others who installed it from the Fest as afar as tech data SORRY call CASRTEN or email him he should be able to provide info needed
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #84
polo 335
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335D stage 2

Yes, thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #85
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl
No one is saying it is not a quality product, we are just saying we want numbers to prove it won't have a negative effect as in the tdi. A quality product it might be, but its only useful if it works with the engineering of our cars.
Exactly.

No doubt about it, the Wagner IC looks very well built but I wanna see hard proof first that it does what it claims to do before I buy it.

l'm in no rush either way with it though as I'm doing a whole suspension swap and Quaife TBD install this March.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #86
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
x2

In fact it looks to be GREAT quality and received many compliments as it relates to the preceived build quality on the mini forum. However, the results post installation were less favorable only because the pressure drop was to great resulting in a slight loss of power. (the mini forum link was provided earlier in the post and included some commentary from both Evolve and Wagner)

There are a lot of calculations and testings that must be performed when designing an IC for a particular car. I question the decision of any company that just throws a product out to market without the appropriate R&D simply because they recognize there's a demand.

Good info on the subject:

The intercooler must be large enough to achieve a significant temperature drop while minimizing any pressure drop. Typically, turbo-system engineers try to shoot for 70-percent-or-greater intercooler efficiency and no more than a 1.0 psi boost pressure drop through the unit, although on a street car, packaging constraints may force you to accept up to a 2.5-psi pressure drop and efficiencies as low as 60 percent. There are those who claim, that within reason, pressure drop isn’t a serious problem: You can simply compensate by adjusting the wastegate to increase boost. Wrong! If the wastegate is adjusted to raise boost more than about 1 psi to compensate for pressure losses, it produces a slight increase on exhaust-side turbine pressure, which transfers more heat into the compressor, further raising the temperature of the air going into the intercooler and in turn reducing package efficiency. You can chase that tail like a puppy, but you’ll never catch it.

Read more: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...#ixzz2K8iVqYCh

Last edited by cssnms; 02-06-2013 at 11:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #87
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Amigo Chris we are comparing Apples to Oranges in comapring a Mini(gas) with a 335d, great insight but I do believe that the the DIESEL withh reap better than the Minis also got to germna boost and check out Turbo Eddie
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #88
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
Amigo Chris we are comparing Apples to Oranges in comapring a Mini(gas) with a 335d, great insight but I do believe that the the DIESEL withh reap better than the Minis also got to germna boost and check out Turbo Eddie
Axel, the "mini" mention was not intended to compare the two vehicles, but rather to demonstrate the unintended consequences of just slapping a larger IC in a car without the necessary R&D.

I have read turboeddie's experience, but that's a CXRacing IC and unless I missed it I did not see any empirical data to suggest the CXRacing IC is of any benefit either, well other than lowering IT temps. TE also complained of turbo lag, although he did go on to later state it was there before, but the way I understood it sounds like it was more pronounced post IC install - hence the honorable mention.

I hope this IC proves to be the contrary example in the 335d, I REALLY do, but it's going to take more than someone's butt dyno to convince me.
Appreciate 0