E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > RB Hotside Silicone Outlets

11-20-2017, 05:04 PM   #1
Coupes33
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 335i, 2017 Audi S3

RB Hotside Silicone Outlets

Has anyone in Australia installed the RB Hotside Silicone Outlets onto their car. If so, how did you stop the outlet rubbing on the steering shaft or do you just let it rub.

Name:  010.jpg
Views: 2180
Size:  61.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 05:10 PM   #2
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

I've seen one installed on a RHD car and the outlet was just touching everything.

Might be able to get a few more mm of clearance if you get an M3 steering shaft which is solid instead of hollow, and a bit thinner.

I have retrofitted an M3 steering rack and got the M3 steering shaft as well. The steering shaft is interchangeable even if you don't have the M3 rack
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...&postcount=178

11-20-2017, 06:48 PM   #3
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Whats your views coupes on how easily a hardpipe style outlet could be fabricated? Since you've spent a bit of time under the car and hands on with the rb outlet id appreciate your feedback

Im considering VTT GC lites as they have 20% off to replace my rattly oem turbos and was discussing the option of fabricating a hardpipe outlet with my local bmw tuner. He's keen to tackle it based on pics ive sent him.

Id prefer a hardpipe for reliability and improved fitment (having a proper rhd solution)
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 07:06 PM   #4
Coupes33
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
I've seen one installed on a RHD car and the outlet was just touching everything.

Might be able to get a few more mm of clearance if you get an M3 steering shaft which is solid instead of hollow, and a bit thinner.

I have retrofitted an M3 steering rack and got the M3 steering shaft as well. The steering shaft is interchangeable even if you don't have the M3 rack

Thanks Vince. I didn't know the M3 steering shaft was smaller in diameter but I was thinking whether it was possible to actually to modify a 335i shaft to do the same. Now that I am aware of the M3 steering shaft, I will certainly look into it as an alternative solution.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 07:20 PM   #5
Coupes33
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Whats your views coupes on how easily a hardpipe style outlet could be fabricated? Since you've spent a bit of time under the car and hands on with the rb outlet id appreciate your feedback

Im considering VTT GC lites as they have 20% off to replace my rattly oem turbos and was discussing the option of fabricating a hardpipe outlet with my local bmw tuner. He's keen to tackle it based on pics ive sent him.

Id prefer a hardpipe for reliability and improved fitment (having a proper rhd solution)
I had considered this myself as one of the possible solutions i.e. cut out the bend in the silicone hose and replace it with an oval shaped bend that came back to round for connection to the turbo and the rest/outbye end of the outlet. There is a nut/stud and bolt holding the heat shield in the vicinity that could be used as anchor points for the fabricated bend to keep it away from the steering shaft. What Vince has proposed above (using a M3 steering shaft) is also another alternative that will increase the clearance. To do fabricate such a bend, it would be good to have a 335i with the engine removed (wreckers) so that you could get into the engine bay an do a perfect job of it.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 07:34 PM   #6
Coupes33
Major
Rep

Quote:

Hey Vince, is that M3 steering shaft that you show in the photo, a genuine OEM M3 item or a modified one. I looked up Real OEM BMW and the steering shaft it shows doesn't look anything like the one you have in the photo. It looks like the 335i item. I know they don't always get the drawings correct on that site but I thought I would ask the question before going any further.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 07:39 PM   #7
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupes33 View Post
Hey Vince, is that M3 steering shaft that you show in the photo, a genuine OEM M3 item or a modified one. I looked up Real OEM BMW and the steering shaft it shows doesn't look anything like the one you have in the photo. It looks like the 335i item. I know they don't always get the drawings correct on that site but I thought I would ask the question before going any further.
Definitely an M3 one coupes As vince said the 335i is hollow pipe whereas the M3 one solid section thus it necks down at a reduced diameter.

Pic here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-SER...wAAOSwak5Z11Uu

I actually have a M3 steering rack in transit currently, when it arrives i can take pics for you and dimensions (it just left the UK should arrive late next week)

Could you use some clamps to squish the silicon somewhat and mount against the firewall?

Last edited by DR-JEKL; 11-20-2017 at 08:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 08:00 PM   #8
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

It is indeed a genuine BMW part. Might be a thing to increase clearance for the V8 motor, although the 1M uses the same steering shaft. The LHD m3 steering shaft looks similar to our standard steering shafts.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 08:41 PM   #9
Coupes33
Major
Rep

Quote:
Definitely an M3 one coupes As vince said the 335i is hollow pipe whereas the M3 one solid section thus it necks down at a reduced diameter.

Pic here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-SER...wAAOSwak5Z11Uu

I actually have a M3 steering rack in transit currently, when it arrives i can take pics for you and dimensions (it just left the UK should arrive late next week)

Could you use some clamps to squish the silicon somewhat and mount against the firewall?
I will see if I can track one down at the wreckers. In the meantime, I have another possible solution which I will try. I will let you know if it works or not.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 08:43 PM   #10
Coupes33
Major
Rep

Quote:
It is indeed a genuine BMW part. Might be a thing to increase clearance for the V8 motor, although the 1M uses the same steering shaft. The LHD m3 steering shaft looks similar to our standard steering shafts.
Fair enough Vince. I will see if I can track one down as back up to any other solution that works.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 08:43 PM   #11
Montye90
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 2007

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...1304599&page=5

Hoper's thread...

Brule's

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=976234&page=9

so from memory, you have to drill a hole near the heat shield and use cable ties to pull it away from the steering shaft. Hope this helps mate and good luck.

Last edited by Montye90; 11-20-2017 at 08:55 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2017, 03:06 AM   #12
Coupes33
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montye90 View Post
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...1304599&page=5

Hoper's thread...

Brule's

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=976234&page=9

so from memory, you have to drill a hole near the heat shield and use cable ties to pull it away from the steering shaft. Hope this helps mate and good luck.
Thanks Monty. Hoper's outlets are a different design to the ones I have but Brule's are the same. I will see if I can do the same as he did.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 05:48 AM   #13
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
I installed on mine when I had twinies.... no rubbing i can remember
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 07:33 AM   #14
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Has anyone in Australia installed the RB Hotside Silicone Outlets onto their car. If so, how did you stop the outlet rubbing on the steering shaft or do you just let it rub.

I replied to your post in another thread but it's probably better to keep all the info together in this thread.

Quote:
... there is still the issue of the silicone outlet adding a lot of resistance to the steering shaft. I need to somehow stop the outlet from touching the shaft.

A few months ago, Duck fabricated a solution that might help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101Duck View Post
I've also made custom steering shafts to help with difficult to fit dump pipes as I am aware how tricky that can be. These are exchange basis as I don't have enough spare core shafts to sell them out. $220aud inc gst +shipping for these. they aren't needed, but sure do help!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5dqrn42er...Rrb4lDI9a?dl=0
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 02:42 PM   #15
Coupes33
Major
Rep

Here is Rob Beck's latest reply to my issue with the outlets. It may be a help to others.

"Considering the growing relatively soft market on RHD outlets, combined with the overall lack of complaints, further combined with degrading profitability; we likely will not re-invest in making any further advancements with the outlets.

Regarding the drilling you may want to contact Brule as we’ve combed through many of our emails from well over a year ago and can’t find the one where he did the drilling mods. During the searches we did find numerous other clearance pictures he attached and they seemed well which are also attached to this email. We also found this DIY from a member named “Hoper”, he was installing the RB RHD High Flow outlets (for stock frame turbos which are a bit smaller) but he seems to have referenced Brules directions and has a good how to on the drilling here (post #15):
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1341897
(Note: This process should work the same for either of our outlets, whether for the stock frame housings or the EVO style housings.)

Another option would be to find a tight radius aluminum (60*) bend, cut it to a specified length to fit your needs and bead roll the ends. This will get a smaller diameter (1.75” OD) vs the ~2.125” OD of the silicone which will free up quite a bit of additional space. This would require cutting the approx. 60* bend out of the silicone and utilizing 2 more clamps to insert the aluminum bend (all cut to length accordingly). Just an alternative idea that may help out here if you do not wish to use the large zip ties or do the drilling.

Not sure if you maybe affected but a couple other things to consider that would affect fitment:
1. Possible alteration of the turbo compressor housing outlet (please let us know if this is a possibility)
2. Motor mount has been compromised over time (many use the 335is mount as a replacement)

Thanks,
Rob"
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 02:46 PM   #16
Coupes33
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135 View Post
I replied to your post in another thread but it's probably better to keep all the info together in this thread.

A few months ago, Duck fabricated a solution that might help...
Thanks 135. I am aware of the steering shaft that Duck has as I was talking to him yesterday. I had already ordered a M3 shaft so will see how that goes.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 03:21 PM   #17
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Ducks shaft was welded on a standard steering shaft and got rid of the OEM accordion piece for crash safety. While reason for that is to stop the steering wheel from going into your chest in an accident.

Imo an outlet on N54 really has to be made out of metal. Even the BMW use steel/aluminium for it and they are known to use cheaper plastics whenever possible. That fat silicone outlet just looks unacceptable to me, touches everything, would rub through eventually.
      11-21-2017, 03:44 PM   #18
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Would any of you guys be interested in buying a hardpipe outlet pipe if a few of them were fabbed up?

If I'm to go with VTT GC Lites I'm going to get a hardpipe fabbed up, may make it cheaper for everyone if we were to get 3-4 of them made up at once?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 03:50 PM   #19
Montye90
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 2007

Quote:
Would any of you guys be interested in buying a hardpipe outlet pipe if a few of them were fabbed up?

If I'm to go with VTT GC Lites I'm going to get a hardpipe fabbed up, may make it cheaper for everyone if we were to get 3-4 of them made up at once?
Semi keen, but already spent Money on the RB's. Vince would know the most about the potential reliability of the outlets, might be good if Hoper or Brule were able to inspect their RB pipes and see if there is any wear or deterioration...

I don't want to spend a bucket load with Hill Eurohaus to install them and then have them removed again...

Having fab'd up hardpipe with a heat coating is a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 04:00 PM   #20
Coupes33
Major
Rep

Quote:

I am not sure whether your hard pipe outlet concept is for just going around the steering shaft or the complete length down to the IC. If you fabricate a complete hard pipe outlet, it should be designed to go around the standard OEM coolant expansion tank so that it doesn't have to be modified or relocated.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 04:44 PM   #21
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montye90 View Post
Semi keen, but already spent Money on the RB's. Vince would know the most about the potential reliability of the outlets, might be good if Hoper or Brule were able to inspect their RB pipes and see if there is any wear or deterioration...

I don't want to spend a bucket load with Hill Eurohaus to install them and then have them removed again...

Having fab'd up hardpipe with a heat coating is a good idea.
Hmm yes your situation is a tad difficult having outlayed cash you dont want to outlay more $ for the same thing. But in the grand scheme of things if the RB outlet did wear through you'd have paid labour twice to get it repaired and may pay more for a custom one off hardpipe

Definately would be good to see how their outlets are holding up

Quote:
I am not sure whether your hard pipe outlet concept is for just going around the steering shaft or the complete length down to the IC. If you fabricate a complete hard pipe outlet, it should be designed to go around the standard OEM coolant expansion tank so that it doesn't have to be modified or relocated.
I was thinking the complete length with a silicon joiner to the FMIC. Since I currently have an AMS FMIC (unsure if I should upgrade this when doing upgraded turbos) obviously this would be slightly different for wagner VRSF ADE etc etc. (would need to investigate this further to see what silicon joiners would be required and where to end the hard pipe.

I agree re the standard coolant tank, i wouldnt want to relocate it..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 05:05 PM   #22
Coupes33
Major
Rep

Quote:
I was thinking the complete length with a silicon joiner to the FMIC. Since I currently have an AMS FMIC (unsure if I should upgrade this when doing upgraded turbos) obviously this would be slightly different for wagner VRSF ADE etc etc. (would need to investigate this further to see what silicon joiners would be required and where to end the hard pipe.

I agree re the standard coolant tank, i wouldnt want to relocate it..
I would suggest ending the hard pipe in the same position as the standard aluminium outlet. From there, silicone adapters can be used to attach to 2.5" or 3" IC inlets.
Appreciate 2
DR-JEKL897.50