E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Newly aligned e90 out of alignment after 5 days

06-08-2016, 02:15 AM   #1
Centmaker
Banned
Rep
Drives: 06' Red 325i

Newly aligned e90 out of alignment after 5 days

My e90 just came out of the shop after having some work done and after about five days the steering wheel is crooked and alignment is dangerously bad. DSC light and brake warning on dashboard. Didn't even hit any potholes. I think it happened when I slightly trammed a deep crack in the road. Can alignment be messed up that easily on these cars? Or did they not tighten something? The worrying thing is that the back right corner was worked on and toe on that corner seems way off check out left and right pictures and compare the toe on the back wheels.
Attached Images

Last edited by Centmaker; 06-08-2016 at 02:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 07:44 AM   #2
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Sounds like shoddy work.

Either take it back and let them figure it out or align it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 07:55 AM   #3
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

They forgot to tighten something or your bushings are so bad, they held alignment on the rack, but went out as you drove it.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 09:13 AM   #4
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Here is how you start:
-you will post here BEFORE and AFTER alignment paperwork.
-you purchase Paint Pen and mark the eccentric bolts in the rear, tie rods on the front, and strut mount nuts under the hood.
-you will do this RIGHT away after you have the cart re-aligned.
-you will keep an eye if they are getting out of placement and report.

Without none of these neither of us here can help you with any useful advice.
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2016, 10:32 AM   #5
Centmaker
Banned
Rep

Thanks feuer, that's what I was looking for. I will do that and report back. If the bushings are worn out that would mean in the front and back since toe is visibly out in the back and steering is crooked. It had a new used subframe put in the back. I don't think I got any new bushings, so could an impact on the front wheel that's bad enough to damage the hub damage bushings? The shop actually waited to fix the entire back end before spinning the front wheel and hearing the hub grind. It's how they underestimated.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 10:46 AM   #6
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centmaker View Post
Thanks feuer, that's what I was looking for. I will do that and report back. If the bushings are worn out that would mean in the front and back since toe is visibly out in the back and steering is crooked. It had a new used subframe put in the back. I don't think I got any new bushings, so could an impact on the front wheel that's bad enough to damage the hub damage bushings? The shop actually waited to fix the entire back end before spinning the front wheel and hearing the hub grind. It's how they underestimated.

Jeez, wait, you needed an entire new rear subframe??? How hard was the car hit and where? Sounds like a lot more to this story.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 11:38 AM   #7
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Even if SINGLE wheel goes off it will affect negatively on the other three wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
Jeez, wait, you needed an entire new rear subframe??? How hard was the car hit and where? Sounds like a lot more to this story.
My friends spun and hit the the curb with the right rear. We replaced everything: knuckle, all arms, the shock, the hub and bearing, same on the front and is still wearing out the right rear tire. Double checked the alignment and is spot on. Sometimes is hard to pin point the exact issue. Just last weekend we replaced the tires. After probably 1y on DWS. Wore out in the middle. I guess now we will find out if it was the tire...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 05:31 PM   #8
Centmaker
Banned
Rep

Spinned out into a curb at about 30-35 mph. Wheels hopped curb parallel. Subframe is aluminum and shouldn't be too hard to bend. Wouldn't the spring also bend?

Shop has lifetime warranty on their work. If they used used control arms and other components they have to use new bushings right?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 05:35 PM   #9
Centmaker
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblue3er View Post
They forgot to tighten something or your bushings are so bad, they held alignment on the rack, but went out as you drove it.
Which bushings would these be?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 05:46 PM   #10
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Spinned out into a curb at about 30-35 mph. Wheels hopped curb parallel. Subframe is aluminum and shouldn't be too hard to bend. Wouldn't the spring also bend?

Shop has lifetime warranty on their work. If they used used control arms and other components they have to use new bushings right?
Rear subframe is steel last time I checked.
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2016, 07:42 PM   #11
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centmaker
Spinned out into a curb at about 30-35 mph. Wheels hopped curb parallel.
lol

This would have been good to know in the OP.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2016, 08:42 AM   #12
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep

If you hit a curb sideways as you describe, at that speed, and hard enough to bend the rear subframe, I'm surprised insurance didn't total the car. That is hard enough to bend the unibody and damage literally every suspension part including but not limited to bushings, bearings, and control arms on that side of the car, front and back. Impossible to diagnose over the internet even with an alignment sheet. Probably ought to get it on a frame machine before blindly swapping out more parts.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2016, 01:52 AM   #13
Centmaker
Banned
Rep

Yeah the shop underestimated I believe on purpose. Insurance spent way more than car value. Is it expensive to put it on a frame machine? And can bent unibody be fixed? Car got re-aligned, paperwork on Monday, rear toe was about -2.1 and -2.3 on both back wheels. Tracks straight again, but not as straight as when it first got back from the shop before the alignment went out of wack. Needs the lightest touch on the left of the steering wheel to prevent it from going right. Not really noticeable. Service guy said only thing that he thinks can do that is a really hard impact so the only thing he can think of is some rare thing with the alignment machine. I wonder if 100 miles is enough to mess up the tires or will they straighten out eventually? Since I drove it four days.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 02:01 PM   #14
Centmaker
Banned
Rep

Alignment before and after
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 10:31 AM   #15
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Probably the eccentric bolts in the rear are not holding and would need to be replaced. Alignment is within spec and that could not be if something is severely bent. As I mention earlier > mark those eccentric bolts.
Appreciate 0