E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > DIY: 335d M57 Fuel Injector Replacement

02-23-2022, 07:59 PM   #45
jamesinBC
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

lug nut

Found this thread very useful, Thanks!

BTW When I went to go buy a M14 x 1.5 lugnut, the parts person couldn't look it up without an application. So mine is made from a lugnut for a 2011 Camaro SS if anyone else runs into this problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 05:58 PM   #46
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

Can anyone tell me what size wrench is needed to get off the fuel rail pressure sensor and regulator? I read 27mm and now that I have the wrenches they look too large.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 12:19 AM   #47
Jlaricos
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5d

Thank you

Excellent thread
Appreciate 1
robnitro160.00
      08-31-2023, 10:00 PM   #48
Smookin_Joe
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 X5 35d

Make your slide hammer better for hard to get places

Excellent information Thank You
I just went through the job of replacing the #6 injector on an 2009 X5.
After reading a number of articles and watching a number of videos. I created a new center rod for an existing slide hammer for my injectors.
Bought a new metric tap and die to get the m12 1.5 needed and bought the cheapest slide hammer tool for my injectors

Confirmed thread specs

Might need a new case...lol
Ok very important..make sure you thread the rod an extra 3/4 of an inch beyond the basic 3/4 of an inch that the oem center shaft is..
take the tap and cleanup the threads in the adapter as well. You want to be able to spin the adapter freely with one hand.

Shows the die in the adapter...clean the adapter threads with die..

Measure where you want the first bend and test fit..
(I bent it in a vice..no injectors were hurt during the procedure...lol)

When you get done it should look like this

Here it is in action...vice grip was used to wiggle shaft when hand threading adapter onto injector and threading down the rod at same time..
.before you thread onto injector have the adapter threaded onto the rod an extra half inch or so..rod tip never got close to injector..

5 or so little taps and out she came..

I thought I should share
Take Care

Last edited by Smookin_Joe; 08-31-2023 at 11:22 PM.. Reason: long sentences..
Appreciate 1
robnitro160.00
      09-11-2023, 08:13 AM   #49
demon
Fukowee Warrior
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Msport blk on blk

Thanks for the great write up. Couple of questions because I have never attempted to replace injectors before.

Generally speaking how often do injectors need to be replace?
My car has 127K on it and all injectors have been replaced once, injector six four times and injector 5 three times. Twice injectors died after fueling at one particular gas station- I no longer go there.

Five and six are acting up again. Are rebuilt injectors a good solution, new one are ridiculously expensive..

Since the car is only worth about 5-6K and completely off warranty, I need to try this myself.
Estimates on total time from start to finish for a newbee - I have rebuilt a number of engines just never worked on Diesels.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 04:23 PM   #50
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon View Post
Thanks for the great write up. Couple of questions because I have never attempted to replace injectors before.

Generally speaking how often do injectors need to be replace?
My car has 127K on it and all injectors have been replaced once, injector six four times and injector 5 three times. Twice injectors died after fueling at one particular gas station- I no longer go there.

Five and six are acting up again. Are rebuilt injectors a good solution, new one are ridiculously expensive..

Since the car is only worth about 5-6K and completely off warranty, I need to try this myself.
Estimates on total time from start to finish for a newbee - I have rebuilt a number of engines just never worked on Diesels.
I owned my diesel for over 8 years. First owner at 11700 miles. Sold it at 139k miles. Never replaced one injector
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 08:55 PM   #51
Attacking Mid
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46, e53, e83, e70

When it rains it pours, so they say. My 35d started giving me fits last fall. On two fairly close together roadtrips from Co. Spgs. to Omaha, I was disappointed to get under 25 mpg. When I finally got a chance to investigate, I found my "oil overflow" line (aka... diesel injector return line) was leaking. When I last replaced injector #1 several months ago, I inadvertently broke one of the return line connectors. I found a replacement on ebay and thought I had fixed it. It seemed to be leaking at one of the joints I had repaired, so I bought a new piece of hose and "fixed" it again. I went round and round on this a few times before finally realizing I might have another problem. The return line shouldn't have more than maybe 10-15 psi, so it should be pretty easy to keep from leaking.

One thing led to another, and I eventually did a leak-off test of my injectors. Over about a 10 minute run, my leak-off values in ml from cylinders 1-6 were: 70-142.5-90-130-170-75. Cylinder 1 had a recently new injector, while the others were original 2010 injectors with about 124K miles. That overflow line has some pretty small orifices, so it's not designed to handle much volume. I decided to order 3 new injectors. I'll move the cylinder 3 injector to cylinder 1, as you can replace that one without removing the intake manifold. 2,4,and 5 will be replaced with new.

Previously, I was able to remove injector #1 using a small slide hammer I have in my collection. This time, I was able to remove 4 of the injectors with it, but cylinders 4&5 would not budge. I poked around the interwebs a bit looking at tools available to pull injectors. Nothing was affordable, but one tool inspired me to make up my own. I had all these materials in my garage, and the tool worked very slick to pull the two stuck injectors. It was a quick/dirty creation with some pretty ugly welding, but it was effective. The vertical tabs rest on top of the two torx-headed studs after you remove the two hold-down nuts. I welded a nut to a bolt head. The nut threads on to the injector and the bolt goes through a hole in the top of the U-bracket. Once situated, you simply crank down on the nut on top to pull the injector up from it's seat. It worked great. Hopefully this inspires you to make something similar if you're fighting some of your injectors.

AM.
Attached Images

Last edited by Attacking Mid; 03-05-2024 at 08:57 AM..
Appreciate 0