E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 335i N54 drivetrain clunk/rattle at low speeds

05-20-2023, 03:27 PM   #1
suspect
.******.
Rep
Drives: car

335i N54 drivetrain clunk/rattle at low speeds

My car makes a rattle/clunk noise when shifting at low speed and low RPM. The sound is especially noticeable when disengaging the clutch fast to shift between 1, 2, 3 and 4th gear on a cold car but the noise is also present when engaging clutch at low speeds and low RPM. As the car becomes hot it becomes only noticeable in 1 to 2 gear change. The sound is non existent or almost non existent when shifting at higher RPM (>3000 RPM). Engine noise could just be drowing out the rattle noise.

(NOT THE CLICKING/METALLIC SOUND BUT THE RATTLE)

If you listen to all the videos carefully, you will notice a sound like something loose becomes unloaded and rattles back and fourth. Been reading that this is the M clunk and that it is normal but 335 is not an M car and I dont think this is normal. On one of the videos someone commented their guibo, bushings, mounts, DMF, clutch replaced and the sound was still present. The sound seems to be coming from the front almost centre of the car.

Any ideas? I think it is either the gearbox or clutch fork. It is a 6 speed manual.
Appreciate 0